Verify A Speed Test Site For Me

k2000day

First off, I'd like to acknowlege testmy.net seems to always provide the most accurate and reasonable results.

My ISP is Cogeco, I've been complaining I'm not getting what i pay for.

They have me use www speedtest dot net to run test, what a joke, most of the test it starts showing about what testmy.net is reporting, however it always has a BIG SPIKE right at the end and shows oh such wonderful results. I pay for 7 down and get 1.5 to 3 thousand .. but with the big spike sometimes i get 11 meg.. right o right.

Cogeco then uses this information and says my connection is wonderful and I can not complain.

Someone please try this and tell me its a joke also, or if you get correct results I'd like to hear.

My answer to you will be my personal opinion. Please take it as just that.

Many sites as we know love there users, well , what site doesn't, an easy way to keep someone close to you , is to make them feel good about themselves. Throwing the truth to the wind.

So what we see with many sites , is your going to see an inflated test result , well this makes you feel good right ? " my connections is fast here " , but never think , hmm , maybe , just maybe , the test is flawed in some way ?

One question , when we download something , anything , pick it , do we download with a flash script ? Or do we download well , to if your in windows , maybe a temp folder or another designated folder , maybe with a socket or another form of connection ? ( just tossing options out there )

Anyhow , we all must decide what we like to see , maybe a very accurate test that may reveal there is an issue somewhere along the lines , or a great spike to spoof the results and make us feel good about ourselves. you decide.

exactly...cox as well will direct their users to that test site...funny thing is back 11 years ago...cox used to send their users to here to test and when they set someone up in their home the techs tested from here (this site was called surftohere back then) guess they switched because the truth hurts...them (cuz they might have to fix it) and hurts the users ego

check this page for more info legitimacy

First off, I'd like to acknowlege testmy.net seems to always provide the most accurate and reasonable results.

My ISP is Cogeco, I've been complaining I'm not getting what i pay for.

They have me use www speedtest dot net to run test, what a joke, most of the test it starts showing about what testmy.net is reporting, however it always has a BIG SPIKE right at the end and shows oh such wonderful results. I pay for 7 down and get 1.5 to 3 thousand .. but with the big spike sometimes i get 11 meg.. right o right.

Cogeco then uses this information and says my connection is wonderful and I can not complain.

Someone please try this and tell me its a joke also, or if you get correct results I'd like to hear.

First, thank you for the kind words k2000day.

Secondly, as tdawnaz said... read the page I wrote about the legitimacy of our tests (link again is https://testmy.net/legit-speed-test.php'>https://testmy.net/legit-speed-test.php).

I can't speak on behalf of any other site out there. I also don't like to talk negatively about my competition. But I can tell you this, I've heard countless times about the results at that site being way off... either too high or too low. People get confused about the inconsistency with the results. One of the reasons I no longer allow linking to them, and if you read the legitimacy page you'll understand better why. I don't know the programming behind their site... and I don't want to know the programming behind their site. I wouldn't think that they would falsely inflate results like that... but really who knows. What I do know is that the tests here use a time tested method that's been developed over a long time. And they use no third party apps that may throw off results.

I employ very unbiased methods. I tell my users the truth based on the numbers.

exactly...cox as well will direct their users to that test site...funny thing is back 11 years ago...cox used to send their users to here to test and when they set someone up in their home the techs tested from here...

Many of them still do. It's just that STdN is a more popular site that TMN now. The people 'in the know' still come here ;)

In fact, someone I was talking to the other day was telling me how they just got installed with Cox.net and they told me how the tech who installed them went here as soon as the connection was live. They also have ways to run speed tests and QOS tests directly from their meters these days... but that only tells them that the modem into their network is okay. There is a billion other factors that could cause problems that kind of direct test wouldn't see.

If anything... this site makes them look good. As long as the user is actually getting what they're paying for. :-P

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 52116 Kbps about 52.12 Mbps (tested with 51200 kB)

Download Speed is:: 6362 kB/s or 6.4 MB/s

Upload Connection is:: 4915 Kbps about 4.9 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 600 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Dallas, TX USA)

Test Time:: 2010-10-13 11:43:16 GMT

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/db/CKSE7MQP9

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/db/ZO1LXRCMU

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10 [!]

Thank you for the response, a few things you said just confirmed the feelings I already had. Such as an unwillingness of the ISP cogeco to consider any results other than an in house test site or the speedtest net site from a server located about 60 miles from my home.

I've been around PC's and the Internet for many many years, I don't need to run a test to know I'm not getting the usual performance, however testmy.net verifies my concern, keeps track of it in reporting for reference. I've used your site for many years with Cable and the old 800 megahertz wireless. When I supect something isn't working right, your site confirms it with numbers that relate to current performance.

Logic: Based on 7meg down service

1. Download slow

2. Testmy.net verifies running at 2 - 3 meg down after a few tests (normal tests are 4.5 up to 7 and usually 6ish)

3. Use ISP test site and I'm getting 8.7 to 12 meg down

So I know its not running correctly yet somehow the speeds are better than I've ever had and the tech guy says it's working great and it's impossible that the results would not be accurate.

(I'm not a goldfish, and I don't live in a bowl)

(I'm not a goldfish, and I don't live in a bowl)

One of the things that's often times overlook with ISPs Quality Of Service is their ability to maintain good peering relationships outside of their network. Sending users to an internal speed test is a cruel trick that unfortunately many people fall for.

"Testing off a server that is right next door does not give you a real world results. How could it? When you use the internet how often are the servers right next to you... rarely."

I believe that there are many ISPs these days that cover their problems up with their internal speed tests. A user sees a problem, the ISP sends them to their speed test that is usually hosted within their own network or on the edge of their network. The user sees no problem and the ISP blames the other end. Now, don't blame the phone support guys... they're just doing what they've been told. But the people above them that established the practice know exactly what's up... they just won't admit it.

Say you have a 100 Mbps line, most likely unless their is a internal problem with your ISP you'll get that speed until you leave their network. And if the ISP has quality peering then you can maintain that speed for thousands of miles (I'm well over a thousand miles from my server and I more than max out my Cox.net 50/5 connection).

Take the same scenario, 100 Mbps... but the ISP has little or no good peering relationships. You go through your ISP's internal network out to the internet... You then get routed through Jim Bob's over congested trunk... and then through Billy Bob's congested trunk. It's like trying to stuff a watermelon through a garden hose. You will eventually hop onto some quality providers if you're going to testmy.net because of the great peering that my host has... but by then the damage is done. Now, your ISP is going to blame the hops in between ('Ol Jimbo and Billy, lol)... and they SAY that it's not their problem. BUT IT IS! They're friends with those guys, they have a working relationship. Your ISP doesn't own or control those lines BUT they DO control who they peer with.

Something to think about. Post up a traceroute. Although a bottleneck along your route doesn't always show up on a trace.

well this is the second time i've express my concerns with cogeco, funny, within 36 hours or so for the second time of complaints (two separate cases) the speeds are up to acceptable. I understand companies try to limit downloads and such but I'm not even near my limits (maybe at max 50%) during a 30 day period. So I'm guessing they are playing games. Shame on them, I do understand there is good in what they do but don't punish the people that are not abusing the download limits. Again, this just verifies to me that testmy.net has again shown the real picture.

lol any work from home opportunities ?

On the other hand, if you have reasons to assume the connection to your own ISP is malfunctioning, a download test from within their own network is better because in that case you'll be sure any problem must be anywhere between your computer and your ISP. Which ironically is a reason for an ISP to never offer such a download test, since they can't blame the internets then. Though what I've experienced here is that the helldesk blames the router repeatedly 'till the caller gives up.