Phone Call From Google Talk

rayj0054

has anyone here ever used google talk. it has a phone call option that supposedly will work even with dialup. i have the old wild blue blues but on my last upload test i was getting 3 times dialup speed.i can make the call and the party will answer i hear them fine but they cant hear me ive checked my mike and it works when i record and it shows to be working on google talk's test . can anyone verify that they have used it successfully . any help greatly appreciated.

thanks rayj0054

I don't use it , but I know others that do and have no real issues.

You might want to check the sound settings , as in other voip programs , there are settings in which input / output devices to use during a call , and for ring , message ect. Sometimes can be a bit confusing at first.

has anyone here ever used google talk. it has a phone call option that supposedly will work even with dialup. i have the old wild blue blues but on my last upload test i was getting 3 times dialup speed.i can make the call and the party will answer i hear them fine but they cant hear me ive checked my mike and it works when i record and it shows to be working on google talk's test . can anyone verify that they have used it successfully . any help greatly appreciated.

thanks rayj0054

I wonder if latency is causing your issue. What is your ping to Google, for instance.

To ping a host...

• Windows Start > Run > type CMD [enter] > from the command prompt type ping google.com and/or ping testmy.net
  • Linux / Mac Under Applications/Utilities open 'Terminal' > type ping google.com and/or ping testmy.net

Paste those results here.

how do i get the dos box to stay up long enough for a screen shot. the test was four packets. min 1390 ms, max 2085 ms, avg. 1618ms

A screenshot isn't necessary. You posted the information I needed.

Your latency is massive.... really bad. 1.4 - 2.1 (1.6 avg) seconds is really bad. Unfortunately it's a reality of satellite. I'm pretty sure this is why Google Talk won't work for you. That may be a service that isn't very satellite friendly.

You are running faster than 56K... but with that much lag in your transmission your conversation would be more like a walkie talkie than a telephone. ... Google Talk may be set to simply not work in that situation. Although, I'm surprised that the application wouldn't notify the end user of the problem.

:sorry:

is there anyway i can improve the latency on my end i usually have decent down speed usually around 1.5 Mb but my upload although advertised at .5 Mb never reaches more than 110 Kb. thanks for the response

First, here's a post I made about satellite latency last month >>

Now, your latency seems quite high even for satellite. But really... I have NO first hand experience with satellite so I'm really not the best person to give you advice on improving it's performance... in terms of latency issues like you're having.

I do however know of many users that have seen marked improvements with their satellite by using the .ccs files for Cablenut that were created by Vanburen. He made specific settings just for satellite connections.

cablenut408.zip

VanBurens_cablenut_settings_all_versions.zip

... I'm unsure if that will help your issue with latency but it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Here's another post that speaks of satellite latency that I found >>

Does anyone else know of anything that can help?

rayj0054, if you find a solution OR if those settings help you... please let us know. ;)

cable, thanks for the links. the tweaks are for older versions of windows im running win 7 ultimate x64. do you know if there are any tweaks for me

Check this out https://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=2574

And you may want to try the TCP Optimizer from SpeedGuide.net.

I think an RWIN of 256960 is what you need. Try an MTU of 1460... then 1500 and keep the one that works best for you. I would think that 1500 would be best but I guess it depends on your satellite system really.

Let me know if this helps you. And if it does help could you please explain the exact steps and settings that you took to arrive at better performance... this will help users in the future who may have a similar issue.

Good luck,

- CA3LE