Hughesnet Unbelievable Performance!

jdirty

Could you please specify what your commissioning software version is, along with the operating version too.

Commissioning version is 081522ca and the operational version is 082065ab

I don't know if it is gen 3 or 4, I have only had it for about 3 months but who knows how long the installer had it before me and so on. My speed was great but they released an update according to some of the more tech wise guys on dsl reports and that started alot of troubles for folks with speeds and their turbo page. About a week ago my turbo page stopped registering errors other than one or 2 a day as usual and my speeds got better but they still are not what they were but close enough till it doesn't affect what I do much. Whatever it is the congestion does affect it to some extent because I can get up to around 1.5 down late or early morning but from 2 in the afternoon on I stay at 1Mb through the evening. Even at 1Mb down it doesn't bother me because most of the things I download are updates and I do them overnight so I won't complain about speeds at that or better because like you stated about the faster plans there really isn't to much differance surfing at 1Mb vs. 2Mb.

Commissioning version is 081522ca and the operational version is 082065ab

I don't know if it is gen 3 or 4, I have only had it for about 3 months but who knows how long the installer had it before me and so on. My speed was great but they released an update according to some of the more tech wise guys on dsl reports and that started alot of troubles for folks with speeds and their turbo page. About a week ago my turbo page stopped registering errors other than one or 2 a day as usual and my speeds got better but they still are not what they were but close enough till it doesn't affect what I do much. Whatever it is the congestion does affect it to some extent because I can get up to around 1.5 down late or early morning but from 2 in the afternoon on I stay at 1Mb through the evening. Even at 1Mb down it doesn't bother me because most of the things I download are updates and I do them overnight so I won't complain about speeds at that or better because like you stated about the faster plans there really isn't to much differance surfing at 1Mb vs. 2Mb.

Well that is interesting...

I was not aware that the beta software code was live yet. You are using the same terminal code that the beta group is on, 082065ab - which contains the building blocks for a new TP. But the GenVersion of your terminal is important, because the new TP has not been ported to Gen3 code yet, and is only live on Gen4 terminals.

You can find out which genVersion your terminal is by checking the Advanced LUI (System Control Center) and looking at the ESN number at the top left hand. If it starts with "1101" it is a Gen3, other number indicates a Gen4.

Well that is interesting...

I was not aware that the beta software code was live yet. You are using the same terminal code that the beta group is on, 082065ab - which contains the building blocks for a new TP. But the GenVersion of your terminal is important, because the new TP has not been ported to Gen3 code yet, and is only live on Gen4 terminals.

You can find out which genVersion your terminal is by checking the Advanced LUI (System Control Center) and looking at the ESN number at the top left hand. If it starts with "1101" it is a Gen3, other number indicates a Gen4.

Thanx for the info, it is a gen 3 and although they list my plan as elit I should still be commissioned as a business user if that makes any difference but I am not positive. They gave me a free upgrade because of the service I was getting 3 months or so ago but I kind of got downgraded at the same time because I now have the smaller dish and 1 watt trans. and not real sure about how I am commissioned. But as long as it works ok then I am not going to complain much.

Thanx for the info, it is a gen 3 and although they list my plan as elit I should still be commissioned as a business user if that makes any difference but I am not positive. They gave me a free upgrade because of the service I was getting 3 months or so ago but I kind of got downgraded at the same time because I now have the smaller dish and 1 watt trans. and not real sure about how I am commissioned. But as long as it works ok then I am not going to complain much.

Free upgrade from what ? Were you on the old Ku system ? DW-Series terminal ?

If so, the smaller dish and 1 watt transmitter for the HN series is sufficient. The bigger dish and 2w xmit is only going to help during rain events, and the HN system already does a good job of mitigating rain fade by automatically increasing power on the xmit side. If it's bad enough weather to knock one of them offline, it's probably severe enough to kill the connection even with a bigger dish and 2w xmit. The only real benefit of having a bigger dish and 2w xmit is for larger commercial packages where upload speed is important. Because even with elite premium (349/month), upload speeds are the same as regular elite, 300kbps.

In other words, if you are not a fairly large corporation that must have a good upstream (can go up to 16Mbits on the xmit side), it is not worth it to have the bigger dish/radio.

How do you use your system, on a daily average? Do you use a router with a traffic counter? You may be paying for elite and not be needing it. The highest ProPlus plan (which i was on for over a year) was solid as a rock for me. Speeds were always consistent, and while at times you may be able to tell that congestion might be slowing you down a little, those events were not often, and really didn't affect normal browsing activities. I'd say, as long as you do not find yourself hitting FAP frequently, try downgrading to ProPlus. The plan lists 1.6Mbit as downstream speed, and I'd say at least 95% of the time you are running that fast, or faster.. which alot of times it remains above 2Mbits especially during offpeak times.

And if anyone hits FAP on the ProPlus, they have issue's other than what they speak about. I have 4 wired clients, that all stay active throughout the day, normal internet activities, watching youtube video's, facebook games.. everyday normal activities, and VERY RARELY hit FAP. It so rare, that I ALWAYS have a free token to use for reset.

Free upgrade from what ? Were you on the old Ku system ? DW-Series terminal ?

If so, the smaller dish and 1 watt transmitter for the HN series is sufficient. The bigger dish and 2w xmit is only going to help during rain events, and the HN system already does a good job of mitigating rain fade by automatically increasing power on the xmit side. If it's bad enough weather to knock one of them offline, it's probably severe enough to kill the connection even with a bigger dish and 2w xmit. The only real benefit of having a bigger dish and 2w xmit is for larger commercial packages where upload speed is important. Because even with elite premium (349/month), upload speeds are the same as regular elite, 300kbps.

In other words, if you are not a fairly large corporation that must have a good upstream (can go up to 16Mbits on the xmit side), it is not worth it to have the bigger dish/radio.

How do you use your system, on a daily average? Do you use a router with a traffic counter? You may be paying for elite and not be needing it. The highest ProPlus plan (which i was on for over a year) was solid as a rock for me. Speeds were always consistent, and while at times you may be able to tell that congestion might be slowing you down a little, those events were not often, and really didn't affect normal browsing activities. I'd say, as long as you do not find yourself hitting FAP frequently, try downgrading to ProPlus. The plan lists 1.6Mbit as downstream speed, and I'd say at least 95% of the time you are running that fast, or faster.. which alot of times it remains above 2Mbits especially during offpeak times.

And if anyone hits FAP on the ProPlus, they have issue's other than what they speak about. I have 4 wired clients, that all stay active throughout the day, normal internet activities, watching youtube video's, facebook games.. everyday normal activities, and VERY RARELY hit FAP. It so rare, that I ALWAYS have a free token to use for reset.

I was on the small business plan at $99 a month with the .98 dish, 2 watt trans. and hn7000s modem. This system does good but it still has far more rain fade than my old dish and as far as upload speed go's it is the same now as it always was running at right at 200 kb/s all the time. With the system I had the pings were usually a bit better until the whole thing went to pot with the service being oversold. I was no longer able to get better than 400 kb/s download speeds with it for a year before I finally got them to do something about it. I seldom ever hit fap and have only had to buy tokens on one occasion thanx to World of Warcraft's downloader sneaking up on me on 3 computers at once. I run 3 to 4 computers pretty much all day long though and use a good portion of my daily allowance more often than not so downgrading a plan really isn't an option. It is used for business as well as pleasure too. I am a chicken farmer and raise 240'000 chickens every 2 months so you can imagine the record keeping and reporting on this set-up, lol. Every since they sent out the update that goofed everyone up my speeds went down to 300 KB/s for about 2 weeks or so and then last week it jumped back up to 1 to 1.5 Mb/s most of the time and I am not complaining about that because like I said that is fine but I still havn't ever gotten back to the 2+ Mb/s I was getting before the update. Hopefully I get back there someday but if not I'll live with these numbers and pray it doesn't get as bad as it was on the KU satt.

I was on the small business plan at $99 a month with the .98 dish, 2 watt trans. and hn7000s modem. This system does good but it still has far more rain fade than my old dish and as far as upload speed go's it is the same now as it always was running at right at 200 kb/s all the time. With the system I had the pings were usually a bit better until the whole thing went to pot with the service being oversold. I was no longer able to get better than 400 kb/s download speeds with it for a year before I finally got them to do something about it. I seldom ever hit fap and have only had to buy tokens on one occasion thanx to World of Warcraft's downloader sneaking up on me on 3 computers at once. I run 3 to 4 computers pretty much all day long though and use a good portion of my daily allowance more often than not so downgrading a plan really isn't an option. It is used for business as well as pleasure too. I am a chicken farmer and raise 240'000 chickens every 2 months so you can imagine the record keeping and reporting on this set-up, lol. Every since they sent out the update that goofed everyone up my speeds went down to 300 KB/s for about 2 weeks or so and then last week it jumped back up to 1 to 1.5 Mb/s most of the time and I am not complaining about that because like I said that is fine but I still havn't ever gotten back to the 2+ Mb/s I was getting before the update. Hopefully I get back there someday but if not I'll live with these numbers and pray it doesn't get as bad as it was on the KU satt.

we raise chickens also, but not even 240, much less the extra 3 Zero's.

Yeah, I wish I had a few yard birds instead of a whole city of yard birds sometimes.

Just had to post these results, beings it is related to the threads topic.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 8588 Kbps about 8.6 Mbps (tested with 6 MB)

Download Speed is:: 1048 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Dallas, TX USA)

Test Time:: 2010-11-21 15:54:43 GMT -7

Bottom Line:: 150X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.98 sec

Tested from a 6 MB file and took 5.868 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Running at 775% of hosts average (Direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/db/LP6ECXD0H

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12 [!]

• 2 weeks later...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 2085 Kbps about 2.1 Mbps (tested with 3 MB)

Download Speed is:: 255 kB/s

Test Time:: 2010-12-04 08:40:09 GMT -7

Bottom Line:: 34X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 4.02 sec

Tested from a 3 MB file and took 12.705 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Running at 193% of hosts average (Direcway.com)

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 221 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 27 kB/s

Test Time:: 2010-12-04 08:42:34 GMT -7

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 37.93 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 22.607 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Running at 139% of hosts average (Direcway.com)

Not as pretty as your numbers but still great for me, Hope it stays like this till Jupiter flies.