Macbook Pro Hard Drive Replacement

mudmanc4

Iv'e had this machine going on two years, it's time for a new hdd. I don't wait until there's an issue and then fight through the mess .

A 5400 RPMimo will last longer as the faster the drive is as a rule the faster it will wear itself out. Just thinking the basic rules of nature.

I dunno about another hitachi , I'm thinking of the seagate sata momentum , seems to have good reviews. Anyhow in the range of 250-1Tb

I'de like to install an SSD , but the costs have me shying away still so thats out.

thanks

A 5400 RPMimo will last longer as the faster the drive is as a rule the faster it will wear itself out. Just thinking the basic rules of nature.

Thats not really true. The motors is hard drives have gotten so good over the past 2 years that they don't die quicker because they spin faster.

Don't waste your time with a 5400 RPM notebook drive, get a 7200 RPM one, you really wont regret it. I put a Seagate 7200.4 in my Macbook Pro and I noticed a huge difference. The stock Hatch 5400 RPM drive averaged about 44 - 45 MB/s

After putting in this drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374 I went to an average of 95 MB/s.

There is a massive thread on Macrumors showing various scores ill see if I can dig it up for you.

Here is just a quick benchmark result using xbench.

Sequential	102.88	

Uncached Write	153.65	94.34 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write	155.76	88.13 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read	48.16	14.09 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read	192.76	96.88 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random	36.89	

Uncached Write	11.87	1.26 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write	171.12	54.78 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read	85.94	0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read	149.66	27.77 MB/sec [256K blocks]

If you still refuse to go with a 7200 RPM drive go with one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136459 they are not as fast as the 7200.4 Seagate but are much faster then a standard 5400 RPM drive.

Also you might want to look at one of these hybrid drives, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591 they cost more but they are suppose to be quite a bit faster.

Edited by dlewis23

Hey D , what can you tell me about the spindown I keep reading about , is this synonymous with a 7200 rpm 2.5 drive ? Seems wherever i look for reviews I'm getting this quite a bit. Thanks for your insight.

EDIT : In investigating this further , I find that some hdd's have a power save feature that isn't compatible with a unix or unix like system , there's a patch available " here ' , any thoughts on this one ?