Pfsense

mudmanc4

I made the move from smoothwall to m0n0wall a couple weeks ago. It's great, but I needed more along the lines of dual wan and deeper configurability between vlans and vpn across multiple local and remote domains and utilizing a dial up network for INN server I'm experimenting on.

So I went to pfsense , I should have done this a while ago , who else is running pfsense that can speak on it's behalf of an internal wireless interface Vs. external wireless router turned into a subnet of it's own. The idea is to find out which is more stable , the internal interface or the external device implemented on a vlan.

I made the move from smoothwall to m0n0wall a couple weeks ago. It's great, but I needed more along the lines of dual wan and deeper configurability between vlans and vpn across multiple local and remote domains and utilizing a dial up network for INN server I'm experimenting on.

So I went to pfsense , I should have done this a while ago , who else is running pfsense that can speak on it's behalf of an internal wireless interface Vs. external wireless router turned into a subnet of it's own. The idea is to find out which is more stable , the internal interface or the external device implemented on a vlan.

Create a vlan and use a device, PfSense is tits but I'm not a fan of it's wireless support been running it for 3 years now and have several boxes at businesses I support. on a dual core atom box it handles 100/100 fiber with no issue including open vpn connections tons of port forwarding/handling manual outbound nat etc.

Great stuff.

Thanks for the input. In the case of creating the vlan , would it be best to put the wireless on opt1 ~ vlan or use the lan and create a vlan on this. I would think creating a vlan on opt1 would be better , any thoughts ? As opt1 interface is not in use right now.

Thanks for the input. In the case of creating the vlan , would it be best to put the wireless on opt1 ~ vlan or use the lan and create a vlan on this. I would think creating a vlan on opt1 would be better , any thoughts ? As opt1 interface is not in use right now.

If you happen to have a triple nic setup and opt1 is available that's the traditional spot to put it, and where I would put it if you don't have a need for another DMZ type zone, just remember to setup your firewall rules after you plug it in and wonder why you can't get any traffic from opt1 to any other interface :)

Chris

Actually I have 4 nics in that machine , the on board and three intel pci , I yanked the wireless card i slipped in there yesterday in lue of your knowledge, I set the onboard up as wan , one is reserved for dual wan once i move and another for the wireless.

Might tackle this later today , have a few tasks to get done before hand.

It's gonna get wild , I have to reconfigure the two cisco 2900's now , I know some ios but I'm not super fluent , and from what I understand the 2900's don't support voice vlans , I'll have to find a way to setup the sip phone on freeswitch. But thats a bit into the distance.

thanks, rick

Actually I have 4 nics in that machine , the on board and three intel pci , I yanked the wireless card i slipped in there yesterday in lue of your knowledge, I set the onboard up as wan , one is reserved for dual wan once i move and another for the wireless.

Might tackle this later today , have a few tasks to get done before hand.

It's gonna get wild , I have to reconfigure the two cisco 2900's now , I know some ios but I'm not super fluent , and from what I understand the 2900's don't support voice vlans , I'll have to find a way to setup the sip phone on freeswitch. But thats a bit into the distance.

thanks, rick

I ran the freeswitch package on PFsense for 2 years. Just recently put together a dedicated freeswitch server for the house & various other locations. I run 10 extensions out of it 3 of which are in the house.

Good luck and Godspeed I hate the 2900's.

The switches are more for my experience then anything , really just a hobby of mine. I never really get them where i want them , just always evolving. Benefits of them not being in a production environment. Been quite a few months since I was in them i don't even remember what version there running. I think I let my ambitions cool off when trying to configure an HP DL380's Lights Out through the 2600 externally with a dyndns config.

I also have a 2600 here that I played with for a while, I should be using that instead of pfsense , but hey.

If there's a way to get FS config through pfs and a 2900 with the right QOS I'll get it , or not lol

anyhow , more time this weekend maybe to get the wireless going.

• 2 months later...

Back with a pfsense spoof.

As of late , each time i reboot the server I must reconfigure the interfaces. As " lan1 " state changes to down. If i watch the connection on the 2900 it breaks just before detecting them.

I thought this might be from one of the scripts I installed as a background service, I reset to factory defaults and still the same. A reinstallation proves the same results.

My thoughts are a hardware failure in one of the cards. Either way 2.0 RC1 is likely going to be released in the next few days so I'll be chucking 1.2.3 anyhow.

• CA3LE locked this topic