Computing Myths

Dude111

We are always reading about things we should do,without really questioning whether we need to be doing them in the first place.

http://lifehacker.com/5033518

Well several of those things listed DO IN FACT help things!

Cleaning Prefetch files IS ALWAYS A BIG HELP IF YOUR ON XP,ETC that uses Prefetch!!

And cleaning your registry is a big help also.. (The cleaner your reg is OF UN-NEEDED things,the faster response you will notice (Its like keeping your dresser drawers neat and in order))

I do agree with this on the page

"Disabling Shadow Copy/System Restore Improves Performance"

IT IS STUPID TO DISABLE THIS...YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE @ LEAST 1 BACKUP IN CASE YOU NEED IT!

We are always reading about things we should do,without really questioning whether we need to be doing them in the first place.

Cleaning Prefetch files IS ALWAYS A BIG HELP IF YOUR ON XP,ETC that uses Prefetch!!

And cleaning your registry is a big help also.. (The cleaner your reg is OF UN-NEEDED things,the faster response you will notice (Its like keeping your dresser drawers neat and in order))

IT IS STUPID TO DISABLE THIS...YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE @ LEAST 1 BACKUP IN CASE YOU NEED IT!

Yeah. You should definitely still back up. But disabling that in windows does improve performance. You just have to remember to back up manually or use a 3rd party back up utility.

Any operating system will run more efficient with as little processes running , doing the least work , leaving the hardware performing tasks that the user requests.

I find most systems have an average of 35-50 processes running. One the systems that have or will have performance issues , there generally well above 50. I think many times the system processes running by default , are there to do as much as possible for the user , and the rest are watching other system processes trying to keep them in check. Other then the obvious needed.

Any operating system will run more efficient with as little processes running , doing the least work , leaving the hardware performing tasks that the user requests.

I find most systems have an average of 35-50 processes running. One the systems that have or will have performance issues , there generally well above 50. I think many times the system processes running by default , are there to do as much as possible for the user , and the rest are watching other system processes trying to keep them in check. Other then the obvious needed.

You make it sound like a bloated gov't setup. :laugh: The firt thing I always did upon reformatting XP was to kill all programs in start up except BIG FIX. recomended by most. And as I restarted my new programs that was all that needed in start up really. Yes way over bloated.

--------

I dont often comment on geek stuff ,as am still running Xp pro , I guess ike mot of the sane world :evil6: , indeed pefetch appllies, deleting it's stored pefetch doe's nothing

nor does disbleing q.o.s on a stand alone comuter

indded Xp Pro has a great stand alone shadow copy facility , as long as you have floppy drive and a second hard drive ,

and the original disk

I make one a month, and keep the original first time fully loaded copy ,

worst case senario is I fall back a month ,but avoid the hours of disk inputing,

Edited by CA3LE
close quote

When I did PC gaming I had a profile strictly for gaming. I had it down to either 7 or 11 processes , i can't remember anymore. But just by stopping all of the extra traffic I was able to gain significant performance.

I run XP pro with full firewall and AV with a total of 23 running procceses , most Xp puters I look at ( it's so slow ) have around 50-70 proceses running ,

I could get the 23 lower ( wireless mouse ATi card stuff )

I am a great fan of lite is fast ,

XP ? , you aint seen the price of Vista and 7 in the UK , :evil2: ,

clearing prefetch is an old myth , in xp it stores 128 , for a while , and gets replaced by latest used programs , clearing it does no harm ,

but it takes a while to rebuild , ( slow opening of programs ) , but mabe a good move if you uninstall a frequently used program ,

indeed in xp you can disable prefetch , but I never saw any puter speed increase doing that , just slower program opening times

same as the old Myth of disabling the 25% QOS in the Pro version of XP , it makes no differance on stand alone desktops ,

it's only there for local networks if selected , and only give priority if needed

Microsoft make that very clear , but year on year the myth resurfaces ,

BTW, xp home dosn't do QOS , never seen a XP home any faster than the Pro version on the web , end of myth I guess ?

or maybe not :grin2:

Fast sane computers , don't come from the main sream makers , ( 1 hard drive no partion ) :grin2:

a second drive is esential IMHO, even if it is a plug in USB drive , I keep my "C" drive to 20Gb , all saved stuff goes onto a second remote drive , it just makes for fast de-frags and shaddow copies., I just found Microsofts synch toy , a fast easy way to move stuff to a second drive it saves a lot of cut and paste ,