Windows 2K

mudmanc4

I've always enjoyed 2000, ( really MS shat itself after that OS and catered to end user ease of use as well as all the " pretties " ) it's been my for sure fall back on OS where everything just works and is highly configurable for just about anything you want to do with networking around the house, well ok , it was the best. afaic

Anyhow I installed a VM on the mac for specific purposes in mind, before i go and install it on a system of it's own ,or start googling thought I'de ask you guys if MS has sunset update services or if i need to look into other reasons the update service is unavailable.

Anyone ?

I am pretty sure MS still keeps the old Windows 2K updates online. I had an install of it a while ago and it seemed to me that I could update it VIA their website.

Just found the PC with Windows 2K on it, so I will let you know soon.

Thanks,

EBrown

I am pretty sure MS still keeps the old Windows 2K updates online. I had an install of it a while ago and it seemed to me that I could update it VIA their website.

Just found the PC with Windows 2K on it, so I will let you know soon.

Thanks,

EBrown

lipsrsealed.gif

Microsofts End of Life for support for Windows 2000 was in July of this year. So that might be a reason why the the update service isn't work anymore.

Yet another reason to despise MS , for shits sake.

Yet another reason to despise MS , for shits sake.

Well gotta stop supporting it at some point. Its kind of a problem to have all these old OS's around. Microsoft is ending support for Vista starting next year, and ending in 2012. They are already starting to end support for Windows XP by not making IE9 work on it.

I would think with windows 2000 the biggest issue would be the drivers. I know they make generic Drivers for Xp and above, Not sure if they offer the same for windows 2000. Not sure if you know how to nlite your own disk, But that does pose a very good question. Can you Nlie Windows 2000, Do they make the generic drivers for it? How about the updates? I would think if you can get that sorted out, Putting a nilited version of windows 2000 would be kinda cool and sweet.

Well gotta stop supporting it at some point. Its kind of a problem to have all these old OS's around. Microsoft is ending support for Vista starting next year, and ending in 2012. They are already starting to end support for Windows XP by not making IE9 work on it.

Yea well still , I'm not saying they should be forced to do anything , let alone spend there time and resources on updating an " old " OS. None the less, they have the capabilities to keep one frackin server in onw corner of one of there hundreds of server farms somewhere. with at the least what updates they stopped at. Wouldn't cost them shit. Considering there's still so many out there still running it as every day workstations. I run into it time and again. I guess if i have the care I'll grab the packages if i can from somewhere. Someone has it all I am sure.

There ploy to make a buck is endless. A company as large as MS puts out a system such as vista and sells billions of dollars worth , then a few years later stops support , it's laughable

Hell , you can still get most every Linux distro ever made , at least the functioning items. And people donate there resources at that.

I would think with windows 2000 the biggest issue would be the drivers. I know they make generic Drivers for Xp and above, Not sure if they offer the same for windows 2000. Not sure if you know how to nlite your own disk, But that does pose a very good question. Can you Nlie Windows 2000, Do they make the generic drivers for it? How about the updates? I would think if you can get that sorted out, Putting a nilited version of windows 2000 would be kinda cool and sweet.

Well if your using 2k as a server for one of many reasons , and it was great for just that , and networking , then you really don't need much at all, the original disk should contain enough to start you up on almost anything. Look at it this way , the more apps we use , the more code there needs to be , the more complex it gets. And the more system resources it takes. With an OS like 2k , it has to be the most stable OS MS ever made , not to mention usability.

Yea Iv'e used nLite before, works great, if I get the most recent update packages then likely I'll find the time to do just that at some point.

well roco runs me...how does he get updates for that??

You wouldn't believe how many people never update there machines. For any reason. And some that simply refuse to do it. And you know what , they have a fraction of the issues others do.

Anyhow , myself , I could care less about the " pretties " of the OS , no desktop flashies or spectacular cursors or themes here, no system sounds other then basic info. When I get an email, when I install an app, thats about it , can't think of any other sounds it makes.

I would rather run something like BSD or centOS with X turned off. You can brows the web with a text based browser as well, sure , you miss all the pretties , but so what. I dunno , maybe I'll grab 7 one of these days , when I can get it for free. See what the rants are about , or not about I should say. As it got real quiet after the release , I think more quiet then any other OS release MS ever had yes ?

Yea well still , I'm not saying they should be forced to do anything , let alone spend there time and resources on updating an " old " OS. None the less, they have the capabilities to keep one frackin server in onw corner of one of there hundreds of server farms somewhere. with at the least what updates they stopped at. Wouldn't cost them shit. Considering there's still so many out there still running it as every day workstations. I run into it time and again. I guess if i have the care I'll grab the packages if i can from somewhere. Someone has it all I am sure.

There ploy to make a buck is endless. A company as large as MS puts out a system such as vista and sells billions of dollars worth , then a few years later stops support , it's laughable

Hell , you can still get most every Linux distro ever made , at least the functioning items. And people donate there resources at that.

Its not really to make a buck. its to get people to upgrade there old crap. It costs them a lot of money to keep updating these older OS's and keep the update services online for them. Also since the windows update system is a "all in one" type of thing meaning each OS uses the same basic system, they can't really make many big changes to it while a old OS is still being updated.

Just like with Xbox Live, it was the same basic system that ran on the first xbox as the 360. They couldn't make any big changes to it because it would screw up the original xbox, so they just ended xbox live service for original xbox. The same principal applies.

To make there systems new and modern they have to get rid of the old. Microsoft has screwed up there update system in the past so much, and pissed a lot of people off, that they have to get rid of the old so they can put more resources towards the new.

They can't afford to have another IE6 where 10 years later people are still using it as there main browser.

Its not really to make a buck. its to get people to upgrade there old crap. It costs them a lot of money to keep updating these older OS's and keep the update services online for them. Also since the windows update system is a "all in one" type of thing meaning each OS uses the same basic system, they can't really make many big changes to it while a old OS is still being updated.

Just like with Xbox Live, it was the same basic system that ran on the first xbox as the 360. They couldn't make any big changes to it because it would screw up the original xbox, so they just ended xbox live service for original xbox. The same principal applies.

To make there systems new and modern they have to get rid of the old. Microsoft has screwed up there update system in the past so much, and pissed a lot of people off, that they have to get rid of the old so they can put more resources towards the new.

They can't afford to have another IE6 where 10 years later people are still using it as there main browser.

Dude what planet are you living on ? laugh.gif

You aren't serious with all this BS , you can't be. Iv'e not heard such a load of crap in quite some time. They can't afford ?

Look, your trying to get me to go for this reasoning that MS doesn't have the server room to store updates ?You think they erase all the code they have built for all these years ? Do you expect me to believe there having trouble with bandwidth ? That if not the most successful industry quite possible in human existence doesn't have the resources to be able to host updates on multiple servers for multiple platforms ? No , I think not, if that were even close to resembling a partial truth , how is it that as you say MS sunset 2k just this past july ? AND there doing " 7 " And there doing XP , .......... BS !!!!!!!! but now there at there capacity and need to chuck a couple OS's to " get rid of the old junk " . Stop please don't take me for an idiot.

Even then , if what you say was true , then they would have to chuck ALL OS's . Just makes no sense , but good try.

Simply put , MS is money hog and exists for no other reason then to exploit every aspect of todays human communications and entertainment industry , penetrating, capitalizing as well as hiding progress in computer science that no one else other then some of apples dorks do.

The world can always use more progress in every aspect, the world doesn't really need to be exploited financially and told there 5 year old 500$ OS is outdated. When 2k was introduced what , in late 99 ? Thats a decade ago , hello ?

Nope , MS does this tripe to force users into purchasing yet another release from them. Plain and simple.

Just look at the GNU project.

Dude what planet are you living on ? laugh.gif

You aren't serious with all this BS , you can't be. Iv'e not heard such a load of crap in quite some time. They can't afford ?

Look, your trying to get me to go for this reasoning that MS doesn't have the server room to store updates ?You think they erase all the code they have built for all these years ? Do you expect me to believe there having trouble with bandwidth ? That if not the most successful industry quite possible in human existence doesn't have the resources to be able to host updates on multiple servers for multiple platforms ? No , I think not, if that were even close to resembling a partial truth , how is it that as you say MS sunset 2k just this past july ? AND there doing " 7 " And there doing XP , .......... BS !!!!!!!! but now there at there capacity and need to chuck a couple OS's to " get rid of the old junk " . Stop please don't take me for an idiot.

Even then , if what you say was true , then they would have to chuck ALL OS's . Just makes no sense , but good try.

Simply put , MS is money hog and exists for no other reason then to exploit every aspect of todays human communications and entertainment industry , penetrating, capitalizing as well as hiding progress in computer science that no one else other then some of apples dorks do.

The world can always use more progress in every aspect, the world doesn't really need to be exploited financially and told there 5 year old 500$ OS is outdated. When 2k was introduced what , in late 99 ? Thats a decade ago , hello ?

Nope , MS does this tripe to force users into purchasing yet another release from them. Plain and simple.

Just look at the GNU project.

Dude, come on. Did you even fucking comprehend what I wrote?

You might want to read it again to make sure.

First its nothing about server room. Of course they don't erase all that code they wrote, that has nothing to do with the update system. It has nothing to do with bandwidth, and it has nothing to do with multiple servers for multiple platforms. They are still updating Windows XP, Vista, and 7 because lots of people still use them and they are still relevant.

But guess what, one day the update system wont work for them too, just like with Windows 2000, Me, 98, 95, 3.1 and every other OS that came before Windows 2000. Every OS has a EOL. Windows 2000 was in July of this year, Windows ME was in July of 06. And guess what Windows Vista has a EOL for support dated for April 2012, Windows XP has one for April 2014, and Windows 7 believe it or not has a EOL for main stream support of April 2015.

It has absolutely nothing to do with capacity.

Since the update system is tied together for all OS's, to do modern upgrades to the system you have to let the old go.

Again take Xbox live example I gave the same rules apply. They couldn't do the upgrades they wanted or add all the new features they wanted while the first gen xbox was still able to use xbox live. One of the big things was the amount of friends you could have, they couldn't raise the limit for live on the 360 because the original xbox had a limit in place.

They don't have to chuck all OS's, Since Vista, XP and 7 are newer they wouldn't have the same sets of limits that Windows 2000 does.

Your just pissed because they stopped updates, and are at the same point people were at when Apple removed PPC support from Snow Leopard. You can't expect them to keep fucking updates up for a 10 year old fucking OS. Especially when only 0.2% of computers use that OS.

It's time to upgrade, a decade for a OS is like 100 human years if not more.

There is a very good reason why Google is doing forced OS updates/upgrades in the background of Chrome OS...

Yes , I comprehend what you are saying. And I understand software cannot be maintained for ever, not even close to what I was saying .

Maybe I should say it different for those caught up in the throw it all away generation.

The updates are already there. Leave them in a repository accessible for download instead of hotpatch or otherwise. What the hell is so difficult about this ? Nothing , that right.

It makes absolutely no sense other then monetary to remove them, unless the software to begin with was free , making more sense now ? Hello ?

It makes absolutely no sense other then monetary to remove them, unless the software to begin with was free , making more sense now ? Hello ?

No it does make since to remove it from Windows Update, your just not understanding why it does.

But if you go here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1001aaf1-749f-49f4-8010-297bd6ca33a0&displaylang=en

You can get the last service pack issued.

No it does make since to remove it from Windows Update, your just not understanding why it does.

But if you go here http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

You can get the last service pack issued.

Yes dude i am understanding , as much as anyone not within the MS team in that dept and up could.

Somehow you are equating your own experiences with web and MS reasoning behind shutting the update system off. Your not thinking on there terms. EOL is one thing , stopping support is another , either way , it's irrelevant .

By your reasonings they have to scrap an entire OS that uses the same update system as the newest OS to remove the old and go with the new , in your own words makes no sense.

Anyhow I don't need to use anything MS anywhere in my life. See, I'm complaining about something that I care not about , I realized that when I got over myself wanting to use a proprietary system that is now but a mere shadow of what it should or could be.

I'll stick with BLAG

• 2 weeks later...

well roco runs me...how does he get updates for that??

Close but not the full story , I got an array of Computers running 95,Me,and XP,Pro

WHY ? I am a sad person who hoards stuff , ( I still got Win 3.1 and 95 on floppies :grin2: )

win 98 and 2K I would love to own legit,

Maybe my car is coming up 37 years old is the clue , ( and yes I run a Eurobox as a every day car ) ,

but it's a disposable and has no soul , hell it's a Ford ,

it's warm, cosy , and does the job requied in these times , but stirs no passion , but it has a once a year service sheduel,

unlike my old Citroen at every 3000 miles ( belive me, crawling on the workshop floor at 28F you bond) bit like having a wife I guess ,

a lot of pain , but contentment when the job is done right on a techknical note the old Citroen has 4 nipples that need loving care :evil6:

O/s's I run Xp pro on a 4 core 3.2Ghz with 2Gb ram,with 22 running services , it does all I need ,

I don't need a Bling screen , or anything fancy , just a workhorse ,

updating is turned off , I only work of of Sp's that I slipstream into the original disk ,

Hell, I never needed MicroS suport anyway,

all I do is keep the original M/B disk and other drivers needed taped inside the box , with a note on the box base

BTW, my Xp Pro is legit 85 % of coimputers running XP I see are not ,

maybe thats one of the reasons for new O/s's ?