Upgrading Troubleshooting

hi all. i'm trying to replace my old motherboard and cpu but am having some trouble keeping the old graphics card in there.

i have a new phenom 2 quad core and m4a88t-v evo motherboard in the case now and it runs fine if i unplug the video card, my old 9800gt which is in working order.

it gives me a loud continuous beep if i try to turn the pc on with the graphics card installed.

if i put a smaller, less powerful card in the slot then it runs fine.

i'm using a 500w power supply...i suspect maybe the system just doesn't have enough juice now?? is there a way to test this without buying a new power supply?

another thing is that it runs really really slow. i would think the system would run at a decent speed with the onboard graphics..anyone have an idea why it would be so sluggish?

any thoughts and informed opinions are much appreciated

-adam

Well the last time i put the 9800 in a mb and had those same beeps, I forgot to plug the power in to it, but that doesnt sound like you. Any chance you have tried a different molex connector ?

oh good grief! i forgot it even needed a power connector. will try to plug it in and see how that works. thanks mud loL!

oh good grief! i forgot it even needed a power connector. will try to plug it in and see how that works. thanks mud loL!

that did it! yet again the problem was human error.

hi all. i'm trying to replace my old motherboard and cpu but am having some trouble keeping the old graphics card in there.

i have a new phenom 2 quad core and m4a88t-v evo motherboard in the case now and it runs fine if i unplug the video card, my old 9800gt which is in working order.

it gives me a loud continuous beep if i try to turn the pc on with the graphics card installed.

if i put a smaller, less powerful card in the slot then it runs fine.

i'm using a 500w power supply...i suspect maybe the system just doesn't have enough juice now?? is there a way to test this without buying a new power supply?

Yeah, unplug your harddrives and CD/DVD/Bluray drives, that will free up some power. If you get video then you know that you have a lack of power issue. Unless you have lots of extra peripherals 500W should be good... more likely But you also may have forgotten to plug in a secondary power INTO the video card, this is called a Supplementary Power Connector, your card has 2 6Pin Supplementary Power Connectors. Some higher end video cards require more power than they can get off the bus. So, your power supply needs to support that as well.

Also, if your motherboard is crossfire (or has multi PCIe x16 slots) you may need to make sure that you are plugging it into the primary "0" slot... if you look closely it should be marked on the board (this also applies to RAM) if you're only using only one, select the slot with the lowest number...

another thing is that it runs really really slow. i would think the system would run at a decent speed with the onboard graphics..anyone have an idea why it would be so sluggish?

any thoughts and informed opinions are much appreciated

-adam

You may not have the best drivers installed. You're most likely not utilizing the cards real resources. Until it gets the correct set of instructions it will work... but not to its full potential. This usually results in lagged, jumpy, super lame video performance. Drivers for the hardware you mentioned are below.

Hope this helps bro!

- D

Well the last time i put the 9800 in a mb and had those same beeps, I forgot to plug the power in to it, but that doesnt sound like you. Any chance you have tried a different molex connector ?

Guess I should read the replies before I post :2funny:

Oh well... more information for the search engines, hopefully it helps someone else with the same problem.

Yeah, unplug your harddrives and CD/DVD/Bluray drives, that will free up some power. If you get video then you know that you have a lack of power issue. Unless you have lots of extra peripherals 500W should be good... more likely But you also may have forgotten to plug in a secondary power INTO the video card, this is called a Supplementary Power Connector, your card has 2 6Pin Supplementary Power Connectors. Some higher end video cards require more power than they can get off the bus. So, your power supply needs to support that as well.

Also, if your motherboard is crossfire (or has multi PCIe x16 slots) you may need to make sure that you are plugging it into the primary "0" slot... if you look closely it should be marked on the board (this also applies to RAM) if you're only using only one, select the slot with the lowest number...

You may not have the best drivers installed. You're most likely not utilizing the cards real resources. Until it gets the correct set of instructions it will work... but not to its full potential. This usually results in lagged, jumpy, super lame video performance. Drivers for the hardware you mentioned are below.

Hope this helps bro!

- D

thanks man, I'm glad you replied as well since it is still running slower than it used to on an old ass dual core. i went ahead and installed the drivers that came with the CD and windows automatically found the 9800GT drivers, but its still lagging.

The Asus CD came with a LOT of drivers and extra software crap I don't want. It could be that I missed something in there when I unchecked most of the garbage installation options, but when I use the CD to "update" it says I'm good to go.

However, I had to download the sound driver to enable sound and the asus program did not detect that, so there must be another one I'm missing.

thanks man, I'm glad you replied as well since it is still running slower than it used to on an old ass dual core. i went ahead and installed the drivers that came with the CD and windows automatically found the 9800GT drivers, but its still lagging.

The Asus CD came with a LOT of drivers and extra software crap I don't want. It could be that I missed something in there when I unchecked most of the garbage installation options, but when I use the CD to "update" it says I'm good to go.

However, I had to download the sound driver to enable sound and the asus program did not detect that, so there must be another one I'm missing.

i just want to say if anyone is considering an Asus motherboard, be aware that unless you know what you're doing, the driver installations and downloads are going to be a major pain in the ass. the software they give you is full of glitches, it says i'm updated yet my drivers are from 2006. the website downloads are no better, every single driver comes in a ZIP file with several .EXE's, all of which as far as I could tell just install the ATI catalyst control center. And it couldn't detect anything on my machine and froze up on the install anyway. hopefully with the new nvidia drivers it will speed it up.

You know , those 9800's ran hot as hell. Here's what I had to do to a 9800 pro to keep it cool , yes the blue fins I put on the top are on the bottom as well, just not in that pic , made a HUGE difference.

WhereXLsComeFrom.gif

OooPS , nope , wrong pic , here , try this next one.......

Image40.jpg

Still have it running , use omega drivers if you can, nothing beats them. This pic is from at least five years ago , but the thing still works great. After keeping it cool of course. Otherwise there would be artifacts all over after just a few minutes of gamin.

not sure what an omega driver is, but it seems to be working OK as far as i can tell. i don't have any way to monitor its temperature, though.

Well you by now can tell when your graphics card is heating up , stuttering , then artifacts and sunburst like lines.

Omega drivers , is a driver specifically made for ATI and nVidia cards for gaming. Works great even if your not gaming. Here's a general link , you'll have to make a few choices to get to the correct driver for your OS Omega Drivers for ATI

You should grab the att " gpu Z " , it's going to give you loads on info on your card. If it refuses to give you the temps , then you might want to update the VGA bios.

GPU-Z.0.4.9.exe.zip

thanks mud i'll check them out.

i'm not sure if this is graphic card driver related since i know the nvidia ones are all up to date, but the computer is still not as responsive as it should be and it takes forever to shut down sometimes. it's hard to explain, but it runs things a lot faster, photoshop can handle way bigger files now and doesn't lag with the larger brushes, but the computer in general when i right click something or load up a program it takes longer than it did before to start it up, which is not right.

oh i just have to add that if i leave the computer a half hour or an hour to start up and load everything, after that it runs fast as hell. but i have deleted and taken everything i can from the startup.

the GPU program works great. my graphic card is idling at 46c