New Pc, Major Issues

Guest Tedzepplin

Guest Tedzepplin

I just built two brand new PC's, I have built many over the past 20 years, and I have never encountered these issue's.

1) Only one core of my Quad Core processor seems to be having a temp issue, core #3 (I guess it would be core 4 to some, but we all know everything starts at 0) idles at around 38c, the other 3 idle between 28c-32c. I use Core Temp to monitor this, and I have been logging it. I am a gamer primarily, so heat is always going to be an issue, but I do not overclock at all. When I am playing my most resource taxing games, core's 0, 1, and 2 will always remain between 48c and 52c, well within the safe zone, but core 3 will just go off the charts and cause Core Temp to shut my computer down to keep it from going into complete nuclear meltdown. I have seen temps reaching as high as 99c on core 3, while the rest remain well within the 48c to 52c range. I have two of these machines built exactly the same, with exactly the same parts, and built both of them under the same conditions, on the same day, even the peripheral's are the same. I use the H50 closed system liquid cooling with the biggest fan that fits inside the case, the one that came with the H50 unit, I am a typical American and never recall sizes in metrics, but suffice to say, its the largest fan that I have ever seen. I wouldn't guess its an air movement issue, since both PC's are built the same with the same hi-airflow tower, and the other one just doesn't have this issue. I have checked everything I know how to check, run the Windows system diagnostics, dxdiag, and anything else I can think of, and they all say the machine is fine, but it obviously isn't. I looked into the BIOS and checked the voltage, thinking maybe the voltage on that one core may be too high, but it appears to be running the same as the other 3 cores, but it's not like I can adjust it anyway. I have seen many BIOS, and this one doesn't seem to have any way of adjusting the voltage to the cores. Maybe someone out there knows how to adjust the voltage, if in fact that is the problem, with this particular BIOS. Pretty much, that is it for issue #1. I have included my system info so you all can see what I am working with.System Info.txt

2) As I have mention before, I have two machine built exactly the same down to the last screw, and only one is having issue, while the other runs like a Swiss watch, but I just cannot figure out what the deal is when it comes to the next issue. When I let this computers system idle for a few hours, or start it up cold for the first time, if I go into a game, or use Adobe CS5, anything that taxes the the resources, it will start to stutter. that is the best way i can describe it. First, the sound will get static, and get choppy, kind of sounds like a record skipping, and the sound will start hanging on spoken dialog. The next thing that will happen is the it will start hesitating and pausing, sometimes for up to 25-30 seconds, not just the app I am running will do this, but the cursor will do it too, as well as keyboard inputs, even after I shut the app down from Task Manager. Whatever app I am running will either crash, shut down, or I will get the Windows message about a Kernel error, and the display adapter has stopped responding, but has recovered and restarted, this even happens on YouTube videos, which are not exactly a huge resource hog. The only thing I can do, because eventually the machine just stops responding entirely, is hold down the power button until it shuts down and restart. Graphics card defect is what I thought, but here is the strange part... after I restart, everything works fine, well, with the exception of the core temp issue. The frame rate is awesome, I can run any game out there at full high settings, and the whole rig runs like a race car until the temp issue shows up. I have taken to starting my computer, logging on to Windows, then immediately shutting it down by using restart, and logging on again to avoid this issue from popping up while I am using it. I shouldn't have to start my machine twice to keep any issue from popping up. I am under the assumption that if its a graphics card issue, it should pop up every time I use the machine, even after I restart. I could be wrong, i have been before, wouldn't be a huge shock. I thought maybe my power supply is too small, but the card manufacturer recommends a 650w supply, and I have an 850w power supply that is independently cooled, I forget the brand name, but I didn't go the cheap route, it was around $400. I think its made of Unobtainium :-) Anyhow, idea's anyone? If its a card issue causing all the issue's I am having with this problem, then I can return the card, no problem. I have run graphics benchmarks, and diagnostics from Nvidia, and numerous stress tests on this card, and they all come back with no problems reported, and the driver is completely up to date. Windows Fix It is still reporting that there are SEVERAL issues with the card, but offers no solution at this time, so that is no help at all. I go to the Nvidia website and there is zero help there, or topics in any forum thread even close to related to the issue I am having, except I have seen tons of people having an issue with that card and RealTek audio and networking drivers, as well as Windows 7 issues with both of those drivers as well. I also want to note that if I use any app that runs DX 10 or 11, the whole system will crash, also not normal or right. I play Civ 5 in DX9, and in Adobe CS 5, I do not even bother with the DX11 64 bit version I have, I use the DX 9 32 bit version. Just another piece of the puzzle for anyone out there who wants to help.

That is about it, I look forward to any one of you genius types responding. I have been a member of this forum for a number of years, and refer here first whenever I have any networking, or PC related issues, and so far the forum members are batting 1000 when it comes to helping and resolving, so I have faith someone knows a fix for all this mess.

Thank You!

Tedzepplin

Hey Tedzepplin good to see you back in here first of all.

My first reaction s well as likely yours , is a defective CPU. If I were in your case the first thing that comes to mind , after you doing what you have already done as far as monitoring ect , is to switch the CPU's between the machines If the second PC reacts the same way ( the hot core ) , then chances are a .001 micron chunk of dandruff got caught in the die lol

You might also want to look into the graphics card , switch them as well before the CPU , it's at the least more simple yes ?

ANyhow , thats my first reaction. Your thoughts ?

1) My guess is a faulty temperature sensor for core 3. Does it crash if you put any CPU stress programs on just that core?

2) First thought is driver issue. If there's a newer driver out there, try removing the old one completely, then install the new one. On second thought, you're running an odd amount of memory. This puts strain on the memory controller, so if the CPU is bad, that certainly isn't going to help. Your video card itself is one known to run hot, might be a faulty application of thermal paste causing it to overheat. Just saying 'I have an 850 watt PSU costing 400 dollar' doesn't say much btw. Brand name does matter because it's easy to rate a PSU too high and then pretend it's high-end by giving it a high price. As a sidenote, more wattage isn't always better. A PSU runs the most efficient in the 20-80% area of its capability, so if you use one capable of 850 watt when your system is around 90-200 you're needlessly converting electricity to heat.

Guest Tedzepplin

I just built two brand new PC's, I have built many over the past 20 years, and I have never encountered these issue's.

1) Only one core of my Quad Core processor seems to be having a temp issue, core #3 (I guess it would be core 4 to some, but we all know everything starts at 0) idles at around 38c, the other 3 idle between 28c-32c. I use Core Temp to monitor this, and I have been logging it. I am a gamer primarily, so heat is always going to be an issue, but I do not overclock at all. When I am playing my most resource taxing games, core's 0, 1, and 2 will always remain between 48c and 52c, well within the safe zone, but core 3 will just go off the charts and cause Core Temp to shut my computer down to keep it from going into complete nuclear meltdown. I have seen temps reaching as high as 99c on core 3, while the rest remain well within the 48c to 52c range. I have two of these machines built exactly the same, with exactly the same parts, and built both of them under the same conditions, on the same day, even the peripheral's are the same. I use the H50 closed system liquid cooling with the biggest fan that fits inside the case, the one that came with the H50 unit, I am a typical American and never recall sizes in metrics, but suffice to say, its the largest fan that I have ever seen. I wouldn't guess its an air movement issue, since both PC's are built the same with the same hi-airflow tower, and the other one just doesn't have this issue. I have checked everything I know how to check, run the Windows system diagnostics, dxdiag, and anything else I can think of, and they all say the machine is fine, but it obviously isn't. I looked into the BIOS and checked the voltage, thinking maybe the voltage on that one core may be too high, but it appears to be running the same as the other 3 cores, but it's not like I can adjust it anyway. I have seen many BIOS, and this one doesn't seem to have any way of adjusting the voltage to the cores. Maybe someone out there knows how to adjust the voltage, if in fact that is the problem, with this particular BIOS. Pretty much, that is it for issue #1. I have included my system info so you all can see what I am working with.System Info.txt

2) As I have mention before, I have two machine built exactly the same down to the last screw, and only one is having issue, while the other runs like a Swiss watch, but I just cannot figure out what the deal is when it comes to the next issue. When I let this computers system idle for a few hours, or start it up cold for the first time, if I go into a game, or use Adobe CS5, anything that taxes the the resources, it will start to stutter. that is the best way i can describe it. First, the sound will get static, and get choppy, kind of sounds like a record skipping, and the sound will start hanging on spoken dialog. The next thing that will happen is the it will start hesitating and pausing, sometimes for up to 25-30 seconds, not just the app I am running will do this, but the cursor will do it too, as well as keyboard inputs, even after I shut the app down from Task Manager. Whatever app I am running will either crash, shut down, or I will get the Windows message about a Kernel error, and the display adapter has stopped responding, but has recovered and restarted, this even happens on YouTube videos, which are not exactly a huge resource hog. The only thing I can do, because eventually the machine just stops responding entirely, is hold down the power button until it shuts down and restart. Graphics card defect is what I thought, but here is the strange part... after I restart, everything works fine, well, with the exception of the core temp issue. The frame rate is awesome, I can run any game out there at full high settings, and the whole rig runs like a race car until the temp issue shows up. I have taken to starting my computer, logging on to Windows, then immediately shutting it down by using restart, and logging on again to avoid this issue from popping up while I am using it. I shouldn't have to start my machine twice to keep any issue from popping up. I am under the assumption that if its a graphics card issue, it should pop up every time I use the machine, even after I restart. I could be wrong, i have been before, wouldn't be a huge shock. I thought maybe my power supply is too small, but the card manufacturer recommends a 650w supply, and I have an 850w power supply that is independently cooled, I forget the brand name, but I didn't go the cheap route, it was around $400. I think its made of Unobtainium :-) Anyhow, idea's anyone? If its a card issue causing all the issue's I am having with this problem, then I can return the card, no problem. I have run graphics benchmarks, and diagnostics from Nvidia, and numerous stress tests on this card, and they all come back with no problems reported, and the driver is completely up to date. Windows Fix It is still reporting that there are SEVERAL issues with the card, but offers no solution at this time, so that is no help at all. I go to the Nvidia website and there is zero help there, or topics in any forum thread even close to related to the issue I am having, except I have seen tons of people having an issue with that card and RealTek audio and networking drivers, as well as Windows 7 issues with both of those drivers as well. I also want to note that if I use any app that runs DX 10 or 11, the whole system will crash, also not normal or right. I play Civ 5 in DX9, and in Adobe CS 5, I do not even bother with the DX11 64 bit version I have, I use the DX 9 32 bit version. Just another piece of the puzzle for anyone out there who wants to help.

That is about it, I look forward to any one of you genius types responding. I have been a member of this forum for a number of years, and refer here first whenever I have any networking, or PC related issues, and so far the forum members are batting 1000 when it comes to helping and resolving, so I have faith someone knows a fix for all this mess.

Thank You!

Tedzepplin

Guest Tedzepplin

Ok, sounds like this weekend I am performing a brain transplant in the lab. I will swap out the CPU between the machines, and see what happens. The card I am running does tend to run hot, but what are the chances I just happened to install a defective CPU and a defective graphics card into the same machine? Not saying that it's totally impossible,, but the odds should be relatively low, wouldn't you think. Either way, swapping the graphics cards is the easiest check I can make. If it continues, I will swap the CPU's, which I dread. That H50 cooler is a terror to install. Maybe it will be easier since I have done it twice already. I will be sure to wear my grandma's hairnet to prevent dandruff contamination :smiley:

I don't believe my systems PSU is too much, or undersized for the way I am using it. Finally found the invoice for the PSU, I must admit I was mistaken, it wasn't $400 for the one, it was $400 for both, either way I recalled seeing something around that number on the invoice. I know, it's irrelevant, but I sometimes feel I need to over explain...anyhow... the PSU I am using is an OCZ Z Series Gold 850W Modular Power Supply. Nvidia requires a minimum 600w PSU for this card. I guess during my brain transplant I will have the opportunity to re-apply the thermal paste, I did use Arctic Silver, which to my knowledge is supposed to be a superior product. I do not understand what is meant by an odd amount of of memory. I will repost my results as soon as I can sometime after Sunday.