New Laptop

nanobot

I am buying a new laptop soon, and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I need to be able to run Visual Studio 2010 Pro, as well as IIS 7.0. I have a budget of approximately $550+- a few bucks.

Are there any recommendations anyone can make? I want to go with a Dual-Core or more with at least 4GB RAM.

Any help is appreciated. (I am not exactly a shopper, I tend to build what I need, but with a laptop that is difficult.)

Thanks,

EBrown

Once you get past 15" the prices go up about $100.00 , Hell I've been using a 15" mac widescreen for a while, it's not really that small, and when i need to move out with it , it's a lot easier to handle then the 17" I used to have. I got the 15" just because of that reason . You want mobile or you just want laptop, see ?

Anyhow , i have a 15" monitor on the left and a 24" to the right of this laptop anyhow for sitting here. Just about to give the 24" to the wife and put another 15 in it's place.

Well, Walmart had a Toshiba on sale. It's a Satellite L675D, has an AMD Turion II Dual Core at 2.4Ghz, 4 GB of RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, Blu-Ray Drive, 17" 1600x900 Display, ATI Mobility Radeon 4200 Series, and they had it on clearance for $598. I got $200 off of that because it was an overstock type deal. I can't complain. :)

This topic can be locked or w/e if a mod wants.

Thanks,

EBrown

Awesome , have fun with your new machine. A short review I think once you get things where you want them ?

It's actually a VERY good laptop. I am not going to lie.

I got my Visual Studio 2010, and IIS7.5 setup on it and it runs perfect, no problems at all. Toshiba is a very good idea for the laptop market.

The only thing I think could have been done better is the FN keys, I think some of them could have been built into the hardware or bios rather than OS, would make them much faster. Other than that the thing is a beast. I'll post a few pics later. (Although you can just google stock ones.)

Thanks,

EBrown

I bought a toshiba satalite myself last year. Love it. Havnt had a bit of problems other than the battery's take a poop rather quickly. They will end up after about 5 months only lasting about 1½ before needing charge.

So far I love this one. It's running EXTREMELY well for what it was supposed to cost.

You know if you condition the battery it will last longer...

By that you mean the charge-drain-repeat cycle?

Thanks,

EBrown