Question About Pagefiles On Different Drives

fattymcbluff

To all my old friends here hello it has Ben a long time,

The question I have is about a new pc I built i have 3 wd re4 500 in raid0 short stroked to 125 each as my os/game/app drive and I have a seagate 1tb 7200k.12 as my storage drive

My question is I want to first make a small partition on the seagate drive for the page file and then partition the rest for storage and backups. What should I do about the page file on the os drive? Should I disable it? Or leave vary small one? and should I just let windows manage the page file on the different drive or should I manually set the min/max and if so what should I set it to? Old rule of thumb 1.5-2x the amount of ram I have installed?

Pc specs

a

AMD 1090t oc at 4.1ghz

Asus crosshair IV 890fx

8 gigs of G.skill 1600 ddr3

3x wd500 re4 short stroked to 125 each raid0

Seagate 1tb 7200k.12

Antec 750 tp new blue

Zakman 9700

Any help would be welcomed

To all my old friends here hello it has Ben a long time,

Welcome back, glad to see you again... you have one of those usernames that I always recognize when I see it. Why haven't you tested since April 2010?! ...or is it that you just haven't been logged in?

My question is I want to first make a small partition on the seagate drive for the page file and then partition the rest for storage and backups. What should I do about the page file on the os drive? Should I disable it? Or leave vary small one? and should I just let windows manage the page file on the different drive or should I manually set the min/max and if so what should I set it to? Old rule of thumb 1.5-2x the amount of ram I have installed?

Personally, I would let windows manage it. In the past though, I have setup special separate drives and/or partitions for that. Just tell windows to use that drive letter instead.

But, I personally haven't made any changes to that on any of my installs in years.

... with that much ram i doubt you'll get a ton of page filing used anyways ...

... yes, if you have fast and large enough RAM the pagefile system is nearly a moot point. Because it doesn't get a chance to make it into cache... Not necessary unless you run out of RAM or the information takes along time to process out of memory.

In computer operating systems, paging is one of the memory-management schemes by which a computer can store and retrieve data from secondary storage for use in main memory. In the paging memory-management scheme, the operating system retrieves data from secondary storage in same-size blocks called pages. The main advantage of paging is that it allows the physical address space of a process to be noncontiguous. Before the time paging was used, systems had to fit whole programs into storage contiguously, which caused various storage and fragmentation problems.
Source: Wikipedia on Paging and Page File Systems

You should never disable pagefiling on any drive lol. Trust me its not a good idea.

i've disabled page filing for C: drive before and put it on a different drive it didn't really do much nor did i really see a huge improvement i've even disable PF completely and my system ran fine, i'm the same as CA3LE though i haven't touched my PF in years now lol i just leave it at stock now

i've disabled page filing for C: drive before and put it on a different drive it didn't really do much nor did i really see a huge improvement i've even disable PF completely and my system ran fine, i'm the same as CA3LE though i haven't touched my PF in years now lol i just leave it at stock now

Last time i adjusted mine / disabled it my system went nukkin futs. Nothing ran correctly, choppy, laggy, just geeked out.

Last time i adjusted mine / disabled it my system went nukkin futs. Nothing ran correctly, choppy, laggy, just geeked out.

Sounds like your talking about me when the power goes out and i can't access anything off the APC buck2.gifevil6.gif

Anyhow, Not sure myself about an OS like 7 or vista , but I've noticed even if you have enough ram , the system and some programs still like to use a bit of swap , or PF

• 2 weeks later...

well it also depends on how much ram you have, if you don't have enough ram to disable the pagefile of course it will freak out