Pc Games Lagging, Slow Browsing But Good Internet Speed

Hello, I have win 7 ult, 7-20 mb internet ( time warner say it 'should' vary that much, w/e). I have 2 360's that use media center. I use a netgear wgr614v10. I play unreal and league of legends on my pc. My games are constantly laging bad and slow web browsing. I have tested the speeds when it happens and still tests above 5mb at least. I have tried w/o windows firewall and with port forwarding the ports, same things happen. I have NOD32 anti virus and use ccleaner, malwarebytes, ad-aware, and sbybot (all came out clear). Any ideas?

Side note i have a linksys wrt54g and it had the same results also.

I would check the router. Unhook the other systems and try playing directly thru the modem and see if you still lag. If its good than you know the routers not configured correctly or just not good.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the same problem. I've done speed test's saying I should get ping down to 25-35, but on NZ or Aussie servers I consistently get ping over 100, and also constant lag spikes that send me over 300 and sometimes disconnect me completely (especially when people are using mics on games like L4D2 :S). Plus I have mates that are living 5 minutes away from me with the same isp and getting low ping.

I have a wireless modem but have plugged my computer directly into it. At times the net is shared, but this net speed happens regardless of whether I turn off all connections or not. My guess is that it's to do with my dodgy wireless modem that came from Xtra (Telecom- those cheap bastards). I just get the feeling that a new modem won't fix the problem, and that there's something else also. Tell me I'm wrong please! The cord connected to my modem comes from all the way downstairs from the router, but I've had it tested, and it says the signal is good :undecided:

Btw, I don't think it's my computer... here are my specs:

Intel i7 920 @2.67GHz w/ win7 64-bit

6GB DDR3 RAM

Radeon Sapphire 5870 1GB

DFI Lanparty DK X58 T3eH6

I tried lowering the setting from ultra high to medium/low, and it doesn't change anything, so I believe it's definitely a net problem. I got rid of my virus scanner, and at one stage open ports up.. though not sure if I did it correctly. I got into the modem settings and allowed easy access to the games I play, didn't improve it that much though. I need help! I'm losing faith in online gaming cause of this ping! ONLINE GAMING IS MY LIFE!!! lol jks, but really, I do enjoy online gaming.

could be a bad modem or bad ethernet cord or a node issue like im having right now my cable internet will get random packet loss causing high latency, and at times my cable modem will lose its block-sync entirely my friends who live a few blocks away don't have the issue but all my neighbors do its a node issue. i've had several senior techs come out and they all confirm it so i just have to wait till they decide to fix the issue i guess

• CA3LE locked this topic