Broadband.gov

rversonline

After doing a bit of arm wrestling with our own ISP, and insisting they pay attention to my stats at testmy.net (which have been exceedingly helpful), they countered with what appears to be a beta version of a government sponsored speed test. In fact, the results I'm seeing tend to be more or less in the same ballpark with testmy.net, although it has none of the extended capabilities. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion about the quality of this option.

RVersOnline

Actually, every time I go to give that a try it asks for my address and I say "screw it". I assume it works well if you get speeds in the same ballpark as you do here.

I'm glad to hear that you've found my tools useful. Keep visiting. ;)

-D

Actually, every time I go to give that a try it asks for my address and I say "screw it". I assume it works well if you get speeds in the same ballpark as you do here.

I'm glad to hear that you've found my tools useful. Keep visiting. ;)

-D

Agree putting in a physical address is a major obstacle to using this site -- as is the inability to see historical info. However I find it interesting that the FCC seems to be sponsoring this site. One might infer that some consideration is being given to regulations governing, e.g., how the advertised "speed" is represented in advertising materials. It is likely common practice that consumers do not get the quality of service they view as "promised". That seems to be one of the premises of your site -- and an excellent way to find out. But it would be nice to have more accurate representations from ISPs before getting signed up, perhaps with contractual commitments.

RVersOnline