Ff, And Ie Speed Trouble With Testmy.net

madden2k5

Well I don't know if I am posting in the right section. But I am wondering why when doing the download test on here, I always get low 30's with IE, and FF. I have cox's 50/5 connection. Using Google chrome it reports correct download speeds of about 50-55mbps down. So is there any known tweaks for them two browsers I need to know about to work correctly on the speedtest here?

I think a few others might be better well equipped browser experience wise to answer this, but from what I understand a browser such as chrome will be like a CDN or a cache in some sense.

Make sure always to clear the browser cache before and between tests to get more accurate results.

I'm sure I will stand corrected soon enough , just thought I'de toss my opinion in there and say welcome to testmy.net , I see you have been a member here for a while.

Well I don't know if I am posting in the right section. But I am wondering why when doing the download test on here, I always get low 30's with IE, and FF. I have cox's 50/5 connection. Using Google chrome it reports correct download speeds of about 50-55mbps down. So is there any known tweaks for them two browsers I need to know about to work correctly on the speedtest here?

That's one major difference between the tests here and other places. TestMy.net highlights browser differences very well. I too see differences between browsers but not nearly as drastic as you do (usually only a couple Mbps difference on a 50Mbps connection). This is because different browsers process the information differently.

If for instance your IE install is being bogged down with a bunch of add-on's and toolbars then your results here will suffer. Firefox, I'm surprised your having a problem with. But, I've even seen before where all my browsers are running on par with each other... then one will be half speed. I restart the browser and it corrects the issue as if something internally just has to be reset.

From what it sounds like (with Chrome delivering the test the way it did) you don't have a connection issue... more of a browser issue. I would first make sure that add-ons are disabled and the browser and your system are fully updated. Then re-test, after your browser has of course been restarted. If you still get results different from Chrome then you could probably just chalk it up to the fact that Chrome is a better browser. :-P

Chrome and Firefox (webkit and mozilla in general) are the best browsers (platforms) available today, by far. IE needs to be thrown in the trash. MS needs to take note of what the "little guys" are doing NOW or their going to lose even more of the browser market share. At this time, 4 years ago TestMy.net had 67.14% Internet Explorer traffic... today, only 37.01% --- For anyone that's not good with math, that's an 80% drop... because they can't get with the program. What they NEED to do is talk to some programmers OUTSIDE of the microsoft pool. Listen to the people that are designing the applications that their browser will run... hummmm, just like Google did. :2funny:

I don't claim to know how each possible problem is caused or that I know how to solve every connection problem. But I do try my hardest to provide the internet with means for working out the kinks in their data delivery. ;) - Hopefully as TestMy.net evolves further it will be able to just tell you, "turn ____ off - it's slowing you down" - But I probably have a few million more lines of code to write before that's a reality. [nerdly]

Well I always clean my browsers with CCleaner, and I think something might of trigger these browsers to not work right with testmy.net, because other test work fine on firefox. No I am not blaming testmy test either. I should probably just reformat my pc, But I am to lazy to do that right now. I will just start using google chrome in place of IE, because IE9 is a buggy POS anyways. I will use firefox as my backup for now. I now just wish my ISP cox would get busy adding another downstream channel or two. Because my 50/5 service now suffers during peak usage, where I only see low 30's during that time. But thats what happens when your market has been D3 for over a year, and only has two downstream channels, that are now starting to get overloaded during peak usage hours. Oops I know a little off subject, just venting a little.

If you test here enough you'll realize that the results here can be conflicting with other speed tests. TMN has a seriously unique method. To the point that it has caused me tons of headaches. Making me wonder if I had a flaw in my methods. But time and time again I look deeper and find that yet again, the site is correct in it's assessment.

Somehow, TMN is able to be clued in to problems more than other tests I've used. The funny thing is... I'm not even fully sure how it does this. I'm the only programmer and have a mental map of the sites code... I still don't know why the other tests sites don't seem to pickup on some of the things TMN does. ... But I figure that I could waste my time trying to figure out why....... OR I could just continue developing the tools ;)

-D

If you test here enough you'll realize that the results here can be conflicting with other speed tests. TMN has a seriously unique method. To the point that it has caused me tons of headaches. Making me wonder if I had a flaw in my methods. But time and time again I look deeper and find that yet again, the site is correct in it's assessment.

Somehow, TMN is able to be clued in to problems more than other tests I've used. The funny thing is... I'm not even fully sure how it does this. I'm the only programmer and have a mental map of the sites code... I still don't know why the other tests sites don't seem to pickup on some of the things TMN does. ... But I figure that I could waste my time trying to figure out why....... OR I could just continue developing the tools ;)

-D

Well I have always liked the test here, because most other speedtest are only good at showing your powerboost speed. I have been driving a few of my local cox techs crazy last few months, because for one I don't find it acceptable for my speeds to dip into the mid to low 30's during peak usage, and also there has been a noise issue that pops up on and off again, it makes it hard to pin point for the cox guys i know. I just sent the one cox guy a message two days ago, because I thought the packet loss issue was gone, and last night/this morning it shows it face again.