Cox Internet Upgrade

Magic Rat

Hey MJ , you don't mind if i call you MJ do you ? Welcome to tmn

How kind of them to push you into paying more for your internet. Crafty aren't they.

I would set the auto test here at testmy.net and this way you'll have a logged factual track of the results.

What are you supposed to be getting , or i should say , what are you used to getting , and what are you getting right now ?

Hello,

Last evening I got a call from cox offering me a trial for $5/mo. (3 months) an upgrade to faster speeds. $14.99/Mo. from then on.

I declined.

Is it a coinsidence that today I am very noticably slower than ever with my connection speed.

Any ideas?

Magic Rat

Hey Magic Rat,

Trust me, it's a coincidence. First, Cox would never scam people like that. They really want all their customers to be happy no matter what level of service they have. Cox is just happy to have your business. It's not like a sales person could say, "He didn't upgrade... I'll show him!" -- or as if the suits up top said, "We'll teach him that NOBODY denies our offers! [insert maniacal laugh - Mu-ha-ha-ha]"

It may look fishy but it doesn't happen like that. Well, I can at least vouch for Cox. I worked for them from 2000-2005, very good company with best interests always at heart ;)

One thing you could say to them is, "Maybe I would think about upgrading if you could first deliver what I've ordered." -- lol

Personally, if that's the top tier they're talking about for $5, I'd at least try it out for the 3 month trial.

UED8nd6.png

Hello,

Last evening I got a call from cox offering me a trial for $5/mo. (3 months) an upgrade to faster speeds. $14.99/Mo. from then on.

I declined.

Is it a coinsidence that today I am very noticably slower than ever with my connection speed.

Any ideas?

Magic Rat

Magic Rat if you are in Arizona, Cox AZ "upgraded" Preferred and Premier customers to slightly faster speeds, April 21st between 1am-3am, But at the same time reduced and capped Powerboost speeds to approx. 30Mbps. Powerboost now only appears to last for a few seconds and only for the first 3-4MBs.

Before this "upgrade", which changed the config file on the modems. It was possible to achieve up to 100Mbps on a file as large as 50MB using a DOCSIS 3 modem, before Powerboost would kick out. This change is mostly notable with small file burst speedtests and large file graphic intensive webpages.

Sustained downloads though actually should have increased from 12Mbps to 15Mbps for Preferred and 20Mbps to 22Mbps for Premier.

The attached image clearly shows the reduction in Powerboost occurring on the morning of the 21st.

post-70222-0-85022000-1303527484_thumb.j