Help A Newbie

Lizmarger

New to this site, not really up on all the jargon. Great site. I hope to learn a lot. When I ctrl-alt-delete and pull up networking in my task manager I notice when I download some you tube videos I get a quick spike and then the video freezes. Navigating around is Ok but some videos freeze, i-tunes downloads time out, etc. I've even given up on a couple of the upload speed tests on this site. Why is my upload speed so much slower than my download speed?

New to this site, not really up on all the jargon. Great site. I hope to learn a lot. When I ctrl-alt-delete and pull up networking in my task manager I notice when I download some you tube videos I get a quick spike and then the video freezes. Navigating around is Ok but some videos freeze, i-tunes downloads time out, etc. I've even given up on a couple of the upload speed tests on this site. Why is my upload speed so much slower than my download speed?

Welcome to the site Liz,

First, what's the package that you pay for with Comcast? If it's 7/1 (meaning 7 Mbps 7000 Kbps download and 1 Mbps 1000 Kbps upload) then you're not in horrible shape.

Lizmarger.png

Also, note that it's common practice with residential internet for download speed to be much higher than upload speed. This is normal and to be expected most of the time. This won't be true if your provider quotes a "Symmetrical" connection.

My connection for instance is 50/5, 10X more download than upload.

CA3LE.png

I believe Symmetrical Connections will be more common in the future... if not the standard.

:welcome: