Thunderbolt ... Fastest I/O Port To Date

CA3LE

I noticed today that Apple released new iMac's. Most interestingly they now come with a Thunderbolt port. You can read about this new technology on Apple's site, Thunderbolt.

Wow, Dual Channel 10Gbps!

post-2-0-21259100-1304487670_thumb.png

Apple introduced us to USB and Firewire... I'm sure that this will become a standard in time.

The new iMac also has Solid State hard drive options which is nice... but it's a $500 upgrade, and get this... if you want the 1GB SATA drive that they were going to install for free AND the SSD it's $100 more. I'm sure that's justified with an install of parts that make the iMac capable of running two internal drives... Personally I would buy it stock and swap it myself and save the money...

Boy, it must be pretty nice to just be lazy and get a new iMac with 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5 all preinstalled... $3,649.00 later... turn the power button on and it's so fast that it takes you to the future!

:2funny:

post-2-0-09840800-1304487671_thumb.png

The new iMac also has Solid State hard drive options which is nice... but it's a $500 upgrade, and get this... if you want the 1GB SATA drive that they were going to install for free AND the SSD it's $100 more. I'm sure that's justified with an install of parts that make the iMac capable of running two internal drives... Personally I would buy it stock and swap it myself and save the money...

There is a problem doing it your self. I'm not sure if they changed the position of the SSD on the new one but in the last gen. 27" iMac there is a bracket that is needed that the SSD mounts to. You could probably find it around, or do what others have been doing for a long time which is remove the optical drive. Doing that has been on my to do list for a while. I want to do 2 SSD's on Raid 0.

If you got the bracket, you could actually do 3 drives in the new gen. iMac.

Conveniently leaving out USB3 and eSATA in the graph. Being as generic as USB it does seem good, but I'm not sure how licensing is gonna work.

ESATA isn't much of a big deal, USB3 would be nice. It will probably happen when Intel puts it in there chip sets but I think like Apple they are betting on Thunderbolt. It's a much better overall connection because it can be used for everything. If it takes off USB3 wont matter.

I've decided a while ago the next machine i get will be an iMac. Give it 6 months , there will be a better one that will put this one to shame. I don't think Apple releases anything unless they are already manufacturing the next model, or at the least waiting for the test results on the next chip.

I've decided a while ago the next machine i get will be an iMac. Give it 6 months , there will be a better one that will put this one to shame. I don't think Apple releases anything unless they are already manufacturing the next model, or at the least waiting for the test results on the next chip.

Personally, I think I'm going to wait for when they have Bluray burners ;) --- I fell in love with the display on the 27" ... I will get one, I just want to wait for the next MAJOR release.