Cox technical support

TriRan

cox's technical support is really starting to annoy me lol, i've been having sporadic issues over the past two months, have called them so many times i know the number sequence to get right to a rep and when they answer i greet them with with exactly the information they need to know to verify my identity lol.... i've had cox techs out to my house many times including this morning

the ones who don't know much about anything other then running a line tell me my modem sucks ( motorola Extreme 6120 same one as CA3LE ) when i get the senior techs / experienced maintenance guys they all tell me they run the same modem

in any case /endrant

i started off having my modem drop out complete loss of block sync T3 and T4 timeouts and terrible speeds my signals were pretty jacked too eventually after enough calls (about 2 months worth) i got maintenance guys to come out and check the node and sure enough there were bad amplifiers they replaced those and my signals look great, then all was good for a week or so

now i'm getting this error

May 10 2011 07:30:30 	4-Error 	C401.0 	DCC-ACK not received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

when this error shows i lose all connectivity for 30sec-1min then it comes back with the modem lights never going out ( no modem reboot )

i'm about at my whits end lol everytime i call in they tell me to bypass my router and everytime the bad cox techs come out they tell me to replace my modem

on the bright side they comp'd me for 2 months of service since i've been having these issues and i just had tech #6 leave my house completely clueless as to why this error shows up and why i lose connectivity all the sudden

#edit oh yeah i'm also seeing varying speeds on flash based and this site it varies from 60Mbps down to 3Mbps down, my uploads seem consistant 2-3Mbps even though i'm paying for 5

just thought i'd post all this to maybe help someone in the future who has issues like these

One thing you have to also realize is that your in Arizona. The problems started more or less when it started to heat up, right?

The problem with Arizona is something that hardly anyone even knows about. As you know, things expand when they are heated up. This is also true for Coax. As the coax expands it becomes longer... cable providers have to compensate for this with higher signal levels. No where is this more true than in Phoenix, AZ. Especially if your home is fed by an Arial cable... arial feeds are far more susceptible because they're not only out in the open but have gravity pulling on them as well. If that expansion is calculated over a long enough distance it equates to -dBmV.

When I worked for them we saw a huge increase in service calls in the Summer and the preceding couple of months.

ALSO, this is a Solar Maximum year... which can and will disrupt communications. Another phenomenon that many people don't realize. I was a tech during the last solar Max and the techs I worked with were reminiscing about when they last had problems with the Sun and communications 11 years earlier. When it does play a roll and when it does there isn't anything communications companies can do.

I'm not at all saying that your problem is caused by the Solar Cycle... BUT it could be a couple of things they even Cox hasn't realized. ... Think HEAT...

So, thinking "heat"... where is the D-Mark (demarcation point is where the cable is fed to your home and split off)... does it happen to be on the side of your home that has direct sunlight? It could be over heating during the hot part of the day the splitter causing it to drop signal. This can also explain why Cox may not see an issue if they get there in the morning or evening.

Just a couple of ideas form my experience. To tell you the truth though, it could be a ton of things. Even if you don't have arial cables it could still go back to that... just because your house isn't fed by an Arial doesn't mean that your main feed stays underground... 100Ft down the street it could turn into an arial feed.

That modem is bad ass by the way. If a tech comes into your house and talks crap about the Motorola SB6120 eXtreme... kick them out of your house. He probably has a Terayon or something. :-P

..then call Cox and tell them you want a real tech... and SPECIFICALLY ASK FOR A COX TECH... tell them, "I don't want a contractor, this is your last chance to get this right." - Cox has in house techs that have WAY more knowledge of the system and WAY more expensive tools... one meter that I had was worth $16,000 ~ there is NO cable sub-contractor willing to spend $16K on a meter. But that will allow the Cox tech to really inspect your drop. --- You'll know if it's a Cox tech because they'll be driving a real Cox truck and will be wearing a real Cox shirt... you obviously need a higher level of support. I hope that Cox has already been sending real techs to your house... If not, that's another thing to think of.

Damn, this was a long post... sorry. I just know how much trouble you've been having and want to help.

- CA3LE

lol thanks CA3LE yes my tap is outside yes its in direct sunlight for about 3-4 hours each day mostly in the morning cause its on the NE side of the house no its not an arial line and it doesn't go arial anywhere in my neighborhood, and yes they've been sending real cox techs out... the last girl i talked to on the phone said that i haven't had ENOUGH cox techs out to qualify for getting some sort of special senior tech out i need more call ins in a 45day period

so i'm going to call in everytime i have this issue the last tech said he put a ticket in and talked to his boss which i've talked to personally the about the last issues i was having, i know they're trying to fix this but i'm tired of getting treated like i'm a retard everytime i have to call in lol i need a codename or something so they'll treat me like i know a little more then your average person i swear....

btw CA3LE how many channels is your modem currently running on? the last tech said in my neighborhood they are about to install 4 more channels so D3 modems will be running on 8 channels total

TriRan -

Is your modem bonding the down streams?

If you look at your 'signal' page it will tell: please copy and paste that signal levels back here, it will help me understand your performance better.

Also, paste your firmware version found on the 'Help' page back here. Thanks.

Downstream Bonding Channel Value

Channel ID 193 194 195 196

Frequency 843000000 Hz 849000000 Hz 855000000 Hz 861000000 Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB 37 dB 37 dB 37 dB

Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256

Power Level

The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

-3 dBmV -3 dBmV -3 dBmV -4 dBmV

Upstream Bonding Channel Value

Channel ID 1

Frequency 36100000 Hz

Ranging Service ID 2953

Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec

Power Level 44 dBmV

Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK

[3] 64QAM

Ranging Status Success

Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value

Channel ID 193 194 195 196

Total Unerrored Codewords 2768999162 2768996696 2768985653 2768985543

Total Correctable Codewords 220 6318 118 216

Total Uncorrectable Codewords 5631 13984 5876 5861

Model Name: SB6120

Vendor Name: Motorola

Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.1-SCM00-NOSH

Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1

Hardware Version: 3.0

Firmware Build Time: May 20 2010 14:40:12

That all looks very good signal wise. You have the latest firmware as far as I am aware. There is a newer version, but I think Cox has only released it in one system so far, not Arizona.

There are a few correctable and uncorrectable errors, but your numbers are not off the charts by any means.

How often do you see that "DCC ACK not received" error?

edit: After a second look, there are quite a few more errors on the 849MHz down stream. But I would just keep an eye on that.

Total Unerrored Codewords 2768999162 2768996696 2768985653 2768985543

Total Correctable Codewords 220 6318 118 216

Total Uncorrectable Codewords 5631 13984 5876 5861