new iMac... woot!

CA3LE

On my way home from the apple store with my new 27" iMac.... can't wait!

I said I was going to wait to get it untill bluray was included... but screw it, I wanted to today. The display is what I'm most excited about... I have a 27" and 25.5" but the resolution on those can't compare to this beauty.

I just wanted to brag. Haha

I just got the base. I didn't see a reason to spend $300-$500 more. I'm still happy with my mini, this is a huge upgrade for me regardless.

Yea I'm in the same, I guess if you were gaming a lot or wanted the I7 then the other would be good. This is a massive update from the mac mini.

I think I made the right choice going with the i5. It's a quad core now... plus the base model was allot easier of an idea to sell to my girlfriend... haha

Well now try and sell her on 8 GB of ram. It's only $74.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820159028

Having 12GB will make development go so much faster lol.

Well now try and sell her on 8 GB of ram. It's only $74.00 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820159028

Having 12GB will make development go so much faster lol.

So is there just one free extra memory slot? Also, do I get to that and the HDD in that spot under the display with the two screws? I want to throw my SSD in this beast :-P --- give the 1TB drive to my mini :-D

I LOOOOOVE this trackpad. They gave me the trackpad and magic mouse. As I was about to leave I said, "On your website it said I can pick between the two." And the guys just said, "We'll just give you both..." Apple rules. -- I really like it though, the gesturing is nice and faster than using a normal mouse I think.

...... this thing is going to help me allot :-D

So is there just one free extra memory slot? Also, do I get to that and the HDD in that spot under the display with the two screws? I want to throw my SSD in this beast :-P --- give the 1TB drive to my mini :-D

I LOOOOOVE this trackpad. They gave me the trackpad and magic mouse. As I was about to leave I said, "On your website it said I can pick between the two." And the guys just said, "We'll just give you both..." Apple rules. -- I really like it though, the gesturing is nice and faster than using a normal mouse I think.

...... this thing is going to help me allot :-D

There are 2 free ram slots. 4 total on the 27in imac. Only the ram is on the bottom. The hard drive is under the screen. It's not a super hard upgrade, but not for a novice. There is a 3rd SATA port in there near the DVD drive. Some people make it really easy and just remove the DVD drive and put the SSD in there, or will do 2 SSD's on Raid 0.

On my way home from the apple store with my new 27" iMac.... can't wait!

I said I was going to wait to get it untill bluray was included... but screw it, I wanted to today. The display is what I'm most excited about... I have a 27" and 25.5" but the resolution on those can't compare to this beauty.

I just wanted to brag. Haha

my daughters mother-in-law just got one similar to this...an imac something...

congrats ca3le...you work hard...you deserve it

Sweet, what are you looking to use the new mac for? Work or Play folding?

Work... continued development here.

Send me your old one. I live on SSD.

Not a chance bud... I'm not done with that puppy yet, it's going in the living room. I think I love that too much to ever get rid of it. For instance, my son wants to switch to Mac... and after thinking about it... I would rather buy him a new one than give up mine. It's seriously the first computer that NEVER let me down. Changed my preference in computers forever. When (or if) it stops working I think I'll have it mounted in a glass case. [nerdly]:2funny:

<-------> It's seriously the first computer that NEVER let me down. Changed my preference in computers forever. When (or if) it stops working I think I'll have it mounted in a glass case. [nerdly]:2funny:

Apple users try and tell people the major differences and how it can change so much for you , until you use one regular as you have , you just don't get it.

Awesome new machine you got there, now you just grab a pair of USB/DVI controllers and utilize three screens.

Apple users try and tell people the major differences and how it can change so much for you , until you use one regular as you have , you just don't get it.

Awesome new machine you got there, now you just grab a pair of USB/DVI controllers and utilize three screens.

CLose but not quite. When will Mac owners get it?

If you need a mac they are cool, but if its just for bling, its just not worth it.

I phones are cool the same way, there is no way I'm gonna spend that much when a phone that rings, takes messages costs so much less. Not that a needed I phone (or equivalent ) is not good, but only if "NEEDED".

Lesson 101 is done. :twisted:

Why get a military 6 X 6 to get to work in the winter, when its only transpo and a half ton 4 X 4 will more than do the job for so much less? (or of course an all wheel drive car) :smiley6600:

Congrats on the Mac Ca3le.

CLose but not quite. When will Mac owners get it?

If you need a mac they are cool, but if its just for bling, its just not worth it.

Typically its never for any kind of "bling". People who buy a mac typically have a very good reason for buying mac. Even for day to day use its better. And if your in any kind of design or media production environment its really kinda a must.

Why get a military 6 X 6 to get to work in the winter, when its only transpo and a half ton 4 X 4 will more than do the job for so much less? (or of course an all wheel drive car) :smiley6600:

It's not just about getting the job done, its getting it done efficiently and possibly better. If I had to use a Windows PC, yea I could get my job done, but its probably not going to be done as good because in my type of work the programs I use, there is no Windows equivalent.

hahaha , sweet , the subject brings out the thoughts that stay hidden doesn't it ?

As for cost, having an Apple machine has paid for itself tenfold to say the least. The machine I'm typing on is the same one Iv'e had for at least two years and it still runs as it did the day I opened the box. Since i don't expect my machine to be a firewall ( I stay behind a real firewall ie: pfsense ) I havent had anyone get in ( to my knowledge , or the logs knowledge ) , so far not a virus one , malware , spyware, none of it.

I control several remote servers daily, in one day I'll do at the least 2 up to 5 or six remote sessions repairing windows machines, maybe do a graphic or two with Photoshop, edit a script or two with coda, all day internet radio is on, bouncing from site to site admining ecommerce sites, ordering supplies various places, making voip calls, and so on. All day every day , same machine. I could not do that with one machine running windows when i did , it took two. Even with corporate hardware.

Say what you will about the price of a mac , but if you depend on your machine daily to just work and do what you need it to do at the drop of a key, it's mac.

When I was a general contractor I learned that buying the cheapest service or tool was rarely the best solution to just get the job done , life experience I suppose.

I've already got enough MiniDVI connectors to hook them all up. Right now though, I'm using it by itself in my kitchen. I feel like a new computer always requires an office rearrangement. You get the full effect of a new computer IMO when you make the surroundings new as well. :evil6:

Congrats on the Mac Ca3le.

At least for me... everything serves a purpose. Especially my computer, I have a Seiko Kinetic for bling... my iMac has a purpose.

It's not just about getting the job done, its getting it done efficiently and possibly better. If I had to use a Windows PC, yea I could get my job done, but its probably not going to be done as good because in my type of work the programs I use, there is no Windows equivalent.

Totally

When I was a general contractor I learned that buying the cheapest service or tool was rarely the best solution to just get the job done , life experience I suppose.

That's a good analogy. You can buy a shitty hammer that will get the job done for a while but it will always let you down in the end. OR you can buy a badass hammer and never have to buy another one. ... Apple is just a workhorse, all the development here in the past couple years has been on Mac. There is no doubt in my mind that I would have only completed about 1/3rd of the work I did if I were still on PC. Windows Fan Boys (hey they call us Mac Fan Boys) always ask, "Why... can't you just set yourself up the way you like on PC, wouldn't it be the same?" -- No, I'm sorry... after working on the Mac this long there is really no comparison for me anymore, at least for what I do. I came from Windows 7 by the way... so it's not like I'm comparing an old version of windows or something. I guess it's a combination of software, form and function. I just do things more efficiently since I switched over.

I developed on PC for... well my whole life before two years ago. Having said that, for productivity Mac can't be beat. (IMO)

And now I have this Magic Trackpad... OMG it's awesome when you get used to it. I'd played with it in the store a bunch of times and didn't like it, but really it just takes some getting used to. The gesturing that you can do it a huge timesaver and feels very natural. I'm in love. :smitten: -- haven't touched my mouse since.

I use the majick mouse combined with magicprefs , ca3le if your liking the pad , you can extent it's capabilities by 100 X with majickprefs, gestures to do anything you wish , and more.

Right on.. I'm going to give that a try. I was hoping there was something like that, I just hadn't got around to looking for it yet. Thanks! :headbang:

Right on.. I'm going to give that a try. I was hoping there was something like that, I just hadn't got around to looking for it yet. Thanks! :headbang:

Any pictures of it in its final home? or is it still taking a vacation in the kitchen?

Edited by dlewis23

Any pictures of it in its final home? or is it still taking a vacation in the kitchen?

Still rockin it in the kitchen. I have skylights in here and it's been kinda nice to get out of my office cave for a little while. I'll put pictures up when I move back in there. I've actually been moving it all over the place, kitchen, bedroom, living room, office... it's pretty portable... heavy and a little awkward to carry but it's less of a pain in the ass than moving all the components separately.

I don't even think I'm going to do a dual display anymore. I'm finding that 2560X1440 fits my needs very well.

post-2-0-96782500-1307186267_thumb.png

I can't imagine this thing once I put my SSD in it. I've already had it all open, screen out and everything. As beautiful inside as it is outside. I need to get another SSD before I do that though.. I don't want to take my good one out of my mini... that thing MAKES that little box.

12GB RAM gives me a nice reserve. Memory's getting so cheap right now I might have to get 8GB for my mini and give the 4GB in that to my girlfriends laptop.

12GIGS of RAM... man, I can remember when I was upgrading from 4MB to 8MB... and that 4MB boost cost as much as the 8GB I just got. Technology...

• 2 weeks later...

post-2-0-96782500-1307186267_thumb.png

I can't imagine this thing once I put my SSD in it. I've already had it all open, screen out and everything. As beautiful inside as it is outside. I need to get another SSD before I do that though.. I don't want to take my good one out of my mini... that thing MAKES that little box.

12GB RAM gives me a nice reserve. Memory's getting so cheap right now I might have to get 8GB for my mini and give the 4GB in that to my girlfriends laptop.

12GIGS of RAM... man, I can remember when I was upgrading from 4MB to 8MB... and that 4MB boost cost as much as the 8GB I just got. Technology...

Going to 12 GB really makes a huge difference. Going the extra 4 GB to 16 GB only made a small difference when having 3 VM's open for me. Adding the SSD is the way to go.

When you opened the iMac did you see the spot for the SSD? I know in the last gen there was a spot for it with a 3rd SATA right near the optical drive not sure if they kept the same spot with these ones.