Need some ideas.

xs1

Ok heres the problem im having. I've talked to Dlweis about this and another friend in the IT business over @ epbfi.com and i havnt come up with a solution.

The question:

Is this a windows 7 stack problem or a NIC card issue?

The Problem:

Because i have a whorish connection now i share. ALOT. I share files 99 % to my 1 % downloading. As you can see from my stats , im on a 25/25 connection. The problem is after sharing a large amount of data , or having a sh*t ton of connections hit me @ the same time, my speeds get cut in half. (see the current speedtest listed at the end of this post.) The only way(s) to remedy this situation is to either reboot my machine, which i hate doing cause it takes forever for this damn box to get going again ; or disable the NIC card , than re-enable it. Im having to do this sometimes every 2 hours if im home to do so. I'll show you what im talking about ; Heres my connection after sharing on DC++ & uTorrent for a littel bit

KBUkJ0V.eLo8Xbc.png

Heres my general Connection tests:

Zie0BEK.png

7hZMilG.png

This is what happens NUMEROUS times a day till i disable the card than re-enable it. Dlewis suggested trying Full Duplex Mode on my card. Failed. Another friend over @epbfi told me to reinstall & try different card drivers, Failed. Same 'ole shite. I really do not know whats going on., if i dont share anything , my connection remains the same for days. No problems, but once i pass on alot of data, or have alot of connections hit me at once, im instantly cut to a fraction of the speed. Its not a testmy.net problem either cause ive also tested elsewhere.

stats.png

Same thing elsewhere.

Any ideas? idiot2.gif

Now literally a minute after posting this im going to disable , than re-enable the NIC card and retest for you to show you.

Ill edit this post.

EDITTT:

Here

Pum62Ht.ck8dFAl.png

You could set up an old box with pfsense firewall , and utilize one of the many ways to drop connections after a given amount of time.

Good idea. Only problem is its not time related. It can happen as soon as 2 hours or as late as a day. And when im running 9/9 i can hop on the box directly next to me and get 32 / 21 undecided.gif Its something with this box / windows / nic card.

This is my current load at the moment;

post-2-0-53017800-1305967603_thumb.png post-2-0-51447500-1305967602_thumb.png

I guarantee in a couple hours ill be back @ 9/9 and ill have to disable the NIC card and re-enable it again to get my full speeds.

It seems (to me) more than coincidence that it's symmetric and nearly 10Mbps on the dot.

Besides that. Here's what I would do to troubleshoot the problem...

First, we need to narrow it down, eliminate variables. Run ONLY your web browser first, get a baseline test (you shouldn't have to run both test types because this problem appears to be effecting everything, so to save yourself time just run the Download Test

Once you've established that your connection is running as it should be... start to add the variables back in, one at a time. So load up either DC++ or uTorrent (one or the other)... share for a while, test and see if your connection is having the problem. Repeat with the other program. If it does it with both, then you've established that the problem runs deeper and that it's not something one of those programs may be causing.

... Do that first and let me know, it could be as simple as one of the programs not releasing resources once it's closed. Another thing would be to verify in task manager that nothing related to your sharing is still tying up resources. There could be a secondary process or something tying up resources. (or not... I'm just throwing out ideas here)

Nick... you just want to show off that insane upload you have!

:2funny: -- just kidding. You do have an awesome upload speed though. :shocked:

wow that was quick, Seems like DC++ is the cause of the problem for now, going to try uTorrent next. But I just hopped into another hub to test it out as you can see here; As soon and i mean the MINUTE all these connections hit me im split in half..

post-2-0-66743700-1305967667_thumb.png

Heres the Results

ylak98j.UMT2DZh.png

i'll reset the connection and try with uTorrent ! Be Back SoOn! idiot2.gif

Seems to be the same result with utorrent. Cut in half again. What now ? Seems like when alot of connections are initiated the something goes wacky.

Whats the plan now captin?

Damn dude, I really don't know. ... I've never seen a problem like that. You may want to hit up the uTorrent forums, you'll probably find more people with more specific knowledge regarding that. At least I assume. No matter what, you've got to update this thread with your solution. ;)

Anyone else have any ideas?

Damn dude, I really don't know. ... I've never seen a problem like that. You may want to hit up the uTorrent forums, you'll probably find more people with more specific knowledge regarding that. At least I assume. No matter what, you've got to update this thread with your solution. ;)

Anyone else have any ideas?

Well its not just utorrent apparently. Both apex and utorrent are doing it. Hell even Emule does it too.. just 3 times as fast. Basically what it boils down to is, if alot of people try hitting my share @ the same time it overloads something. I may just do like dlewis said and grab another NIC card, like a PCI one. The one i'm using is on-board and i think i may be overloading it..

Just need to scrape together some change to pick one up. - - - Ca3le do you have another PCI NIC card laying around? I'm sure from one of your tear-downs and rebuilds you should have one somewhere! 2funny.gif

Well its not just utorrent apparently. Both apex and utorrent are doing it. Hell even Emule does it too.. just 3 times as fast. Basically what it boils down to is, if alot of people try hitting my share @ the same time it overloads something. I may just do like dlewis said and grab another NIC card, like a PCI one. The one i'm using is on-board and i think i may be overloading it..

Just need to scrape together some change to pick one up. - - - Ca3le do you have another PCI NIC card laying around? I'm sure from one of your tear-downs and rebuilds you should have one somewhere! 2funny.gif

I have like a hundred laying around. I'll see if I can find this one awesome intel one I have... I'll let you know tomorrow.

IMO there still needs to be solid flow control if your doing something like that.

Looking at traffic shaper here, I noticed a few things thought Id'e mention, one is the adjustment the ACK and to your linespeed ? ( it may be sending out ACK received packets when none is present ) , as if you are downloading the same time your uploading , the quanacks que is using more then 60% of your available bandwidth and the ACK packets a re not making it to the que.

Might be a longshot , but got me thinking anyhow.

Personally I have a router that seems to keep a table of recent connections for future use, but for something like Utorrent with 1000 connections the router cant take it and my speeds go to 1% of normal. I also feel that the 10/10mB after sharing is very interesting. What could cause the speed to cut in half but not to zero? Does this problem appear if one person uses all your upload or only with multiple simultaneousness connections.

I have like a hundred laying around. I'll see if I can find this one awesome intel one I have... I'll let you know tomorrow.

Ok thanks :D

Does this problem appear if one person uses all your upload or only with multiple simultaneousness connections.

I can transfer to 1 person all day long @ 25mbits and have no problems. It has to be numerous simultaneous connections @ once.

IMO there still needs to be solid flow control if your doing something like that. .

I use Netlimiter 3.0 x64 to control it. I have everything set to where it doesn't continuously diminish my avail. bandwidth, but still provides about 23½ mbits of sharing to the communities.

I also tried with netlimiter off with same results just to rule it out..

Interesting. Is it possible to recreate this problem with 5 connections? 15 connections? 50 connections simultaneously?

I would try to isolate it down to:

Number of simultaneous connections OR

Number of connections over the past "unit of time" (hour or day) IE: if you hit 257 connections within one hour does your computer explode? [nerdly]

Im sorry we haven't gotten the solution but we're making progress.