Question re: WiFi 3Ghz signal/Rogers vs Bell

BeerHunter

I'm wondering..

Have current WiFI on 900 Mhz band because of the trees surrounding us.Started at 1 MB/s DL and over the years has dropped off to where it's virtually useless now (not much better than dial up). ISP wants me to put up a 70' $4,000+ tower so I can access their 3 Ghz signal.

Trying a Rogers USB stick and find I am getting their 3.5 Ghz signal with download speeds of 180 - 280 MB/s.

Question is..why can I get Rogers 3.5 Ghz with a simple USB stick while my ISP needs a 70' tower to accomplish the same thing.

Wondering.

Txs

... Yeah, pretty sure he meant kB/s >> https://testmy.net/quickstats/BeerHunter

"Rogers" may have a less obstructed signal to your home. If they want you to put up a 70' tower... for $4000... I don't know man, that's pretty lame. For that price, you'd better get AT LEAST a 10Mbps connection at the end of the day (I'm assuming that you're in a rural area, in which case that would be a nice connection).

I'd really look into alternatives if I were you. I'm curious though, if "Rogers" can achieve the same thing with a USB stick... why not just go with that? Am I missing something?

Where do you live? One of us may be able to help you find something better. ... 70' Tower... what, are you in Wyoming or something? Living off the grid must be awesome ...until you want to get on the internet :evil6:

In response to...

I'm wondering..

Have current WiFI on 900 Mhz band because of the trees surrounding us.Started at 1 MB/s DL and over the years has dropped off to where it's virtually useless now (not much better than dial up). ISP wants me to put up a 70' $4,000+ tower so I can access their 3 Ghz signal.

Trying a Rogers USB stick and find I am getting their 3.5 Ghz signal with download speeds of 180 - 280 MB/s.

Question is..why can I get Rogers 3.5 Ghz with a simple USB stick while my ISP needs a 70' tower to accomplish the same thing.

Wondering.

Txs

and...

I'm assuming either a different way of fetching the signal or the difference in signal bands.

But i dont think your getting 180 - 280 mb/s nerdly.gif lol

• 2 weeks later...

Back again...living in Northern Alberta (about 20 miles South of Grande Prairie). Acreage is surrounded by trees , heavily forested area.

Rocket USB hub caped at 5G then $50/G beyond that.

Went with Rocket Hub. 10G cap then $10/G beyond that. So far , after about a week and a half (10 days) I've used 1.3G and that's with some utility downloads (Avast etc.). Unless I start using Netflix ,doubt I'll ever get over the 10G cap.

Quit pleased. speed tests very rarely get below 1Mbps. My old ISP rarely got above that. Perfectly adequate for my needs.

Signal strength wavers between Low (2 bars) and Med(3 bars) with only the internal antenna. Might spring for and external antenna ($100).

Still can;t figure out why I can get this performance with a simple indoor antenna but it sure beats the hell out of a $4,000 70' tower!

Welcome Beerhunter!

Looks like you found a decent alternative to the tower, hope it keeps up to par for you.

Honestly I am surprised to hear you get wireless internet at all. My youngest brother guided in your area about 3-4 years back. When he was up there I would not be able to contact him for weeks unless he picked up the Sat phone and called me.

Seen many many photos of Grande Cache/Grand Prairie area, you live in a beautiful corner of our little planet.