testmy.net shows much lower download speed than Speedtest.net ?

linaks

My service provider insists that the speed should be tested only on SPEEDTEST.NET and sure enough it always gives 2.2 Mbps the contracted speed. But whenever I test the speed on TESTMY.NET it is barely 1 Mbps ? WHY THIS VARIATION ?? Can someone enlighten.

Anil

My service provider insists that the speed should be tested only on SPEEDTEST.NET and sure enough it always gives 2.2 Mbps the contracted speed. But whenever I test the speed on TESTMY.NET it is barely 1 Mbps ? WHY THIS VARIATION ?? Can someone enlighten.

Anil

Hey Linaks, welcome to the site!

Read "Why Do My Results Differ From Speedtest.net?" It should clear it up for you.

... Also read https://testmy.net/legit-speed-test.php -- speedtest.net makes them look good, that's why they're telling you to go there. ;)

Please respond with your thoughts.

Hey Linaks, welcome to the site!

Read "Why Do My Results Differ From Speedtest.net?" It should clear it up for you.

... Also read https://testmy.net/legit-speed-test.php -- speedtest.net makes them look good, that's why they're telling you to go there. ;)

Please respond with your thoughts.

Beat me to it lol was just going to link that ;)

azspeedtest.cox.com that's where i'm sent

28/8 speed test 18/3 which is what it should be...testmy is what i am cuz i know that right now i'm having major" old dying modem syndrome" qwMkZ7L.5f17Pt8.png

if i went by what ookla says i'd never know i have a prob

if i went by what ookla says i'd never know i have a prob

You should also note that your problem is confirmed by slow downloads around the internet... etc.

Before about 2005 many ISPs were sending their customers here. Pretty much all ISPs have started sending people to internal speed tests, usually Ookla tests. It's just wrong ...and makes them look stupid IMO.

How does testing within the network tell you anything? I mean, that's good information to know as well. But to really get a full idea of your connection you need to test outside your ISPs network. I've placed my server in a prime location for the United States, on a powerful host... who has peering EVERWHERE. If you can't pull your speeds here, then something is wrong.

... I think most ISP employees know this but they're told to send people to their companies internal test.

... Check it out ...

If you were going to go buy a laptop and you found a nice laptop (for instance)... now, you want to know more about it. Do you want to only know what the manufacturer says or do you usually check a 3rd party for an unbiased opinion? The same can be said for your ISP's service and speed test. Are you going to just trust their test and leave it at that or verify that you're not being lied to with a 3rd party?

The ISPs know that they have flaws in routing and peering. I know that they're working on making a better internet. But, while they're correcting issues they can keep down on call center call volume if they host a test down the street that eliminates the variable of THE INTERNET. ---- How can you test your internet if you never even get out into the internet during the test?!??! :evil6: