can you out smart this one?

ninjageek

Found this at another forum. Its so much fun. If you have kids, let them try it as well. Its kinda spooky how right it is most the time. <snip> What you do is think of someone famous. Then start the game. Answer the questions, and it guesses who your thinking of.

Please make sure to mention there is a downloaded .exe file when you click on " play " , thanks :)

After further investigation , the downloaded file called " whitesmokeinstaller.exe " , is a virus of some sort. You may want to check your system ninja , sorry

googled whitesmokeinstaller_9128.exe , results > google link to whitesmokeinstaller_9128.exe

Yeah... You should always be cautious of .exe .bat -- hell, anything that's executable... but zip and rar files can be just as dangerous. All they have to do is zip up the virus ;)

The only way to be safe is to scan the file before opening it... and even then you run a risk that your antivirus doesn't know about the particular virus yet. There really is no way to be 100% safe. A good rule of thumb, as with anything else in life... make sure that you trust your source. If something seems a little shady TRUST YOUR INTUITION.

The fact is, if you're out doing shady things on the internet... you're probably going to get a few viruses. ... just like if you do shady things off the internet. :evil6:

WHAT the Heck? There was nothing to download. It was a simple web based game. I even tried the link after I posted it to make sure it went right to the page. Let me Try it again. I REPEAT, there should be NOTHING you need to download. http://us.akinator.com/. No idea what happened. Sorry about that. I would never post a link to download anything. Its just a very simple version of 20 questions. Again my apologies. I would never give you guys something to download. Or give you a web site that was unsafe. I am so baffled as to what happened. How very very Odd.

Just google the word akinator. I use Chrome Browser. Wow this is strange.

Edited by ninjageek

I reproduced this three times, once with safari, and twice with chrome.

With safari I have pop up blocker off by default and was slammed with new windows and one of those nice " you have won this or that " that allows nothing to be done but force quit the application, or click there who knows what button.

Anyhow , here's a crap movie I made of chrome showing the download.

I myself have always used ad muncher. I THINK I have it on gf laptop as well. I never even thought about disabling it and trying the link. So All I can say is I screwed up. So sorry. Won't be posing any more links. That really bugs me. I put it in one other forum. Deleted that post. So if who ever wants to delete this entire thread. Please do. Im Just sick about it.

Actually you didnt messup anything !

You raised awareness to something that some might never have known, not only that , the download is so small that may people might not even see it.

I tried literally dozens of times , clearing cache , using chrome , this and that. Each time , I would be redirected to different sites , not always getting the download.

Chances are I wouldnt have caught it , other then right now i am running testing on my network looking for issues. So all that would normally be blocked from pfsense is wide open , at least as far as redirects ect.

You know what though , this helps me quite a bit, as openDNS should not have allowed this to happen. I'm going to have to look into the settings a bit.

So in the short of it all , I thank you for assisting me !!! Funny how some things work out isnt it.

I think the thread should stay . by all means.