Mac or PC?

Christian

IMO It depends on available extra cash to spend, and need. I perfer windows for my budget and needs. Its enough :police:

I feel you man! LOL ;)

Unix. Good ol' Fedora Core. That or Ubuntu. I trust both of those over OS X or Windows any day.

Thanks,

EBrown

Yah

Well you know that I'm all about Mac. I just feel that they're superior.

TRUE TRUE!!! Agreed! ;)

i have never tried mac...i have pc with ubuntu...and i love it...i'd probably try mac but the budget won't allow it

It is an investment. But you can get a Mac mini as cheap $599 referb... used from about $200. Then just use your current input devices and monitor. Everyone thinks they're so expensive. They really aren't. If I had to make the choice... I'd rather buy a used mac than a brand new PC.

Ubuntu is awesome by the way. Finally, distros that bring linux to the every day user. I've always been a linux fan, it's all I've ever ran on my servers. Power, stability, scalability... I've had servers in the past, with very high traffic volumes, that had uptimes upwards of 1-2 years. Try that with another platform. That was with RHE by the way ;)

TestMy.net's servers are RHE and typically reboot 2-4 times a year... the last 4 times I've rebooted I don't even think I needed to reboot. Linux rules!

IMHO, If your just using your PC for fun, Surfing, Watching movies playing games, Then Stay with the PC.

Now if your doing much more, Using it for work or other things, I would say MAC.

MACs are nice. I just dont think they are practical for everyday users. If your wanting away from Windows, I agree with the above. Go with a flavor or Linux.

Lol something like that :P something a lot of people don't know is it can have pretty icons and doesn't have to just be a black terminal window

Wait , you mean i can have all the performance of a text based system, and at the same time , have pretty things on my screen , without having to install a dual or quad core proc with 8+ gigs of ddr , and a separate card just for the graphics ?

Didnt think so lol

Wait , you mean i can have all the performance of a text based system, and at the same time , have pretty things on my screen , without having to install a dual or quad core proc with 8+ gigs of ddr , and a separate card just for the graphics ?

Didnt think so lol

hhhheyyyy... sad.gif ...... I like my quad core & 8 gigs... lol

• 3 weeks later...

Mac cannot defend against viruses and the other nasty things that are affective. Windows has an enhanced graphical interface. Also it is best for Graphic designing and animation.

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Mac's don't have to defend against any viruses because at this time there are no known viruses in the wild for OS X but if there was since OS X is based on the Unix permission system it would fend just fine. I wouldn't exactly call the GUI enhanced since they are going for a Web 2.0 look the goal is to simplify everything not enhance.

And if it makes you sleep better at night, you go right ahead and keep on thinking windows is better for design and animation.

Mac cannot defend against viruses and the other nasty things that are affective. Windows has an enhanced graphical interface. Also it is best for Graphic designing and animation.

Welcome to testmy.net

I rarely shrug off anyones claims like this , so please , enlighten me on your experience ?

Thanks

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Mac's don't have to defend against any viruses because at this time there are no known viruses in the wild for OS X but if there was since OS X is based on the Unix permission system it would fend just fine. I wouldn't exactly call the GUI enhanced since they are going for a Web 2.0 look the goal is to simplify everything not enhance.

And if it makes you sleep better at night, you go right ahead and keep on thinking windows is better for design and animation.

btw i agree with you 99% and i love the mac OS its just not feasable for me considering what i use my desktops for.

not saying this is really a huge threat but it exists none the less :P

A new backdoor Trojan virus that targets Mac OS X has emerged, Sophos reports. Interestingly, the new virus, which is called BlackHole RAT (or OSX/MusMinim-A in virus definition speak), is a variant of the 'legitimate' Windows Trojan DarkComet-RAT.

Fortunately, the virus doesn't seem to be very malicious. It allows a remote controller to reboot or shutdown an infected computer, or pop up a fake 'Administrator Password' box that can be used to phish a user's password -- but for the most part, it actually seems to be a proof of concept; a warning to Mac users that their OS can be infected.

One of BlackHole RAT's functions pops open a full-screen dialog with only a 'reboot' button, and the following, vaguely sociopathic message:

"I am a Trojan Horse, so i have infected your Mac Computer. I know, most people think Macs can't be infected, but look, you ARE Infected!

I have full controll over your Computer and i can do everything I want, and you can do nothing to prevent it.

So, Im a very new Virus, under Development, so there will be much more functions when im finished."

You kind of expect 'muhahaha!!1' to be at the end.

As for how the virus is distributed, it is probably via the usual channels: pirate downloads, or vulnerable browser plug-ins. Sophos notes that its Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition, which is a free download, identifies and removes the virus. You should probably run it, just to make sure you're not infected.

Source:

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2011/02/28/mac-os-x-backdoor-trojan-virus-discovered-computer-is-vulnerable/

i also found this which i thought was an interesting read... more so the comments then anything but still interesting

http://www.wilshipley.com/blog/2005/09/mac-os-x-viruses-put-up-or-shut-up.html

Edited by TriRan

That actually won't work anymore.

but it did work at one time yes? just because its fixed doesn't mean it wasn't a virus :P

Very curious what you feel cannot be done on a mac that you can on windows box ?

computer gaming :P (you didn't think i had the computer listed below for giggles and benchmarks did you?)

Edited by TriRan