iMac fan speed out of control

CA3LE

So I just moved my iMac to another room... then back. When I booted up the fan was running full bore. Look in iStat (a gaget for the dash) and there is no information on any RPM of any of the system fans and no temperature information. I was thinking, "what the..."

... so here's the fix. Just power down your computer, unplug it then hold the power button for at least 5 seconds. Boot back up and you'll be fine.

Just in case this happens to anyone else. ;)

CA3LE,

My fans start out on my IMAC in a normal mode, after opening mail and then Safari they kick into max and stay that way until I put it to sleep. Shortly after awake it does it again. I have spent weeks with an Apple software person and still no fix. We did the reset for the PRAM, no change. I forgot to mention, Apple replaced my hard drive and that is when all fun started. Any suggestions beyond buying a new computer, which I am going to do shortly. The reason they replaced the hard drive was , the busy wheel was coming on early when using Safari and would be locked. This happened all the time. It still happens with new hard drive so obviously that was not the problem.

https://testmy.net/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/tickedoff.gif

CA3LE,

My fans start out on my IMAC in a normal mode, after opening mail and then Safari they kick into max and stay that way until I put it to sleep. Shortly after awake it does it again. I have spent weeks with an Apple software person and still no fix. We did the reset for the PRAM, no change. I forgot to mention, Apple replaced my hard drive and that is when all fun started. Any suggestions beyond buying a new computer, which I am going to do shortly. The reason they replaced the hard drive was , the busy wheel was coming on early when using Safari and would be locked. This happened all the time. It still happens with new hard drive so obviously that was not the problem.

https://testmy.net/ipb/public/style_emoticons/default/tickedoff.gif

Download SMC fan control and set the fan profile to default. If they still rev up. make a new profile and set everything to 1500 RPM.

How old is the iMac? I've seen older ones do this because dust and dirt gets clogged in the heatsink because the turbine blows directly through the heatsink.

Also put iStat Pro on it and post what the temps are when the fans are running at full.

Edited by dlewis23

Download SMC fan control and set the fan profile to default. If they still rev up. make a new profile and set everything to 1500 RPM.

How old is the iMac? I've seen older ones do this because dust and dirt gets clogged in the heatsink because the turbine blows directly through the heatsink.

Also put iStat Pro on it and post what the temps are when the fans are running at full.

It's brand new... there isn't a spec of dust on anything yet. I used SMC fan control for a while but I like the default fan settings... I like it silent.

The SMC just needed to be reset... it was odd, but odd things happen sometimes. I'm not at all concerned about it, did it once and it's never done it again. I just wanted to post this so that anyone with the same problem may be able to find a resource to help with the same problem I had.

... plus, dude... do you even know who I am? Do you think I wouldn't realize that I had a dusty unit? Even if it was dusty, it wouldn't rev up like that and then be resolved by SMC reset.

My equipment is never dusty... I'm very anal about keeping the inside of my computers immaculate... I've had this iMac for just a couple of months and I've already had the screen popped out of it 3 times for cleaning... When you love computers as much as I do and rely as much on them as I do, they get treated right.

Yea I do know who you are. But I wasn't replying to you... Go one post above mine.

oh.. haha.

Maybe I need a cup of coffee. :coffee:

I saw...

post-2-0-65418600-1312398339_thumb.png

... and for some reason thought it was my quote at a glance. duuuuuuuuR! I thought that was strange because you had already responded to this topic. My bad :uglystupid2:

As long as were talking " shocked.gif " , This week has been special for me , yea , special ed

Amongst the entirely whacked shit I've done this week, I did a nice one . I'm sure someone else can appreciate , or not lol

One computer came in that i quickly determined the power supply was pooped out , I opened it and noticed a capacitor was nice and swollen golden burnt looking on the pcb. Reached over and pulled a new supply and installed it.

Ended up apparently the power supply must have surged and took out something between the northbridge and the who knows what. Everything fires up but the CPU and system fans ect. This is one of those e-machines with the d845ep1 (e210882) intel boards , I swear there's a billion of those POS out there.

Anyhow i had two others in the bin pulled from towers rebuilt , installed one , posted , bad hard drive, must have been a lightning strike , seen it too many times before , no protection before unit , crappy supply that gets a extra shot and pukes out a rail or worse.

Worked with that same old shitty bios with near zero settings, AO2

Chucked in an old hard drive , reinstalled windows , did the updates, installed whatever else , done , ready to get out of my hair.

Nope ( here's the real brain dead idea. ) While doing other things , I decided to do the old paper clip trick on the burnt power supply. The damn thing fired up , so i started in with checking voltages and things seemed just fine. That burnt look sometimes comes from cheap older parts that have run forever filled with tripe from who knows where or what, .......... right ?

Shit , I'll pull the new one and since everything else is running smooth , save ( my neibor ) a couple bucks and just hand them there unit FOC and a smile.

Feelin good and charitable swingin my ass to whatever music was jammin i installed the old supply , plugged it in and .............. and , yup , nothing but the pretty green light on the MB. Again. Dumb ass and your stoopid frackin idea of saving someone else a couple bucks just fuked myself, torched that MB I did hahahaa

Drop goes that good feeling , but hey , i have another spare , right ? Nah , that bitch is toast as well. But I swear i didnt do it hahaha

fuking shit YT$#%^N^Q$TFdf߃©∫¥∆ ´˙†∫ß僩∫˜˙µdghjhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dammit ARRRRGGGH ! 2funny.gifidiot2.gif