Come on apple! Really!

CA3LE

going a bit off topic, just read a report that Apple is richer than the American Gov ,

not surprised , with the price apple is charging in the UK, my involvement with with pc's goes back 15 + years ,

never worked on or met a apple machine , but a few folk I know that use them at work say they are great ,

I guess as a m/s user I am living in a shadow , but I figure what I never had I don't miss ,

You can't be living in any shadow with microsoft , I have a couple boxes here I use.

Are the prices going up or dropping , my guess is dropping.

• 1 month later...

So is Lion gotten any better with the release of 10.7.1 ? Or is it still borking the brains out of everyone ?

Iv'e read MS Office does not run on it, as well as Photoshop and about a thousand other apps, was this user error as usual or are all my apps useless if I update to lion ?

I have yet to see any apps that will not run on Lion.

When you hear someone saying office or Photoshop won't work its because they are using a really old version of either Photoshop or Office. Rosetta was removed from Lion so old PPC apps don't work. But who still uses PPC apps? you would be using versions from 2005.

If what you say is true , that rossetta has been removed , then a quick search will reveal there were quite a few that still used PPC apps. Yet it also means I'm safe , I'm just interested in progs such as transmit , coda , PS5 , navicat , paralells ect ,nothing out of the ordinary or too old.

What is all this about slowing the machine down significantly ?

If what you say is true , that rossetta has been removed , then a quick search will reveal there were quite a few that still used PPC apps. Yet it also means I'm safe , I'm just interested in progs such as transmit , coda , PS5 , navicat , paralells ect ,nothing out of the ordinary or too old.

What is all this about slowing the machine down significantly ?

Hey if people are still using PPC apps and upgrade to lion thats there problem. :2funny:

I use a lot of the programs you also use, and have no problems under lion.

As for slowing the machine down I haven't seen that or really read that on any kind of large scale. The only 2 problems I still see are with Webkit2, if I don't restart Safari every few days it starts to really suck up some ram and you see a performance hit within the browser. The other problem is with the Ctrl Zoom, sometimes it just doesn't want to work.

Well yes , unfortunately support for PPC is about crapped out. Although I have an iBook G4 that runs Linux PPC ( as the graphics quirk gets the kernel all panic like while running osx ) , works great in target mode or as a file server.

Also , the eaten up ram after long term use is been my only complaint ever running an apple machine. But then again , it's not a server that needs to stay up w/o a reboot here and again either.

Anyhow , I was going to get the USB stick to do a clean install until i read on apple site that the damn thing isnt even the OS , it's a key to download the OS , and snow leopard is a prerequisite to lion. wtf apple ? Geezus , no wonder Steve left !

not to get off topic here, but mudd i've been reading your signature for quite some time and you know in all my time with electronics i've learned one key thing, [nerdly] electronics and liquids do not mix.... having a fluid coming out of a laptop would be a giant warning sign to me :evil6: you may want to have that thing looked at!

Anyhow , I was going to get the USB stick to do a clean install until i read on apple site that the damn thing isnt even the OS , it's a key to download the OS , and snow leopard is a prerequisite to lion. wtf apple ? Geezus , no wonder Steve left !

You know you can make your own DVD to do a clean install right? You don't even have to install it first, just download. The USB stick is only really for people who have majorly screwed up there computer to the point where the recovery partition won't work.

not to get off topic here, but mudd i've been reading your signature for quite some time and you know in all my time with electronics i've learned one key thing, [nerdly] electronics and liquids do not mix.... having a fluid coming out of a laptop would be a giant warning sign to me :evil6: you may want to have that thing looked at!

Yes well thats just the thing , it was a training period, now were on the same page lol

You know you can make your own DVD to do a clean install right? You don't even have to install it first, just download. The USB stick is only really for people who have majorly screwed up there computer to the point where the recovery partition won't work.

Sure , tried installing several times that way, it always fails 40 minutes later complaining about not being able to download items for the install.

I was not aware the USB stick ( if you can call it that ) , was for emergency repairs, and what recovery partition are you speaking about ? I take it Lion has implemented something from microsoft now ?

Sure , tried installing several times that way, it always fails 40 minutes later complaining about not being able to download items for the install.

I was not aware the USB stick ( if you can call it that ) , was for emergency repairs, and what recovery partition are you speaking about ? I take it Lion has implemented something from microsoft now ?

Yea your only suppose to get the USB Stick if you have a problem were the recovery partition doesn't work.

The recovery partition is everything that is on the USB Stick on your Hard Drive. It's not just recovery, its everything maintenance wise that use to be on the DVD, disk utility, terminal, password reset etc. etc.

Burn the DVD at a slower rate like 2X and do not verify after. Don't ask why, but thats what fixed the problem with the DVD for me and many others.

going a bit off topic, just read a report that Apple is richer than the American Gov ,

not surprised , with the price apple is charging in the UK, my involvement with with pc's goes back 15 + years ,

never worked on or met a apple machine , but a few folk I know that use them at work say they are great ,

I guess as a m/s user I am living in a shadow , but I figure what I never had I don't miss ,

Well when Obama is spending more than the now non working people can pay, and it is all borrowed? Is it so hard to see? Apple gets cold hard cash for their product, it would not suprise me who all has more actualy value than the USA government. :2funny::2funny:

Recession is when your neighbor loses his job.

Depression is when you lose your job.

And recovery is when Obama loses his job. :laugh:

Yea your only suppose to get the USB Stick if you have a problem were the recovery partition doesn't work.

The recovery partition is everything that is on the USB Stick on your Hard Drive. It's not just recovery, its everything maintenance wise that use to be on the DVD, disk utility, terminal, password reset etc. etc.

Burn the DVD at a slower rate like 2X and do not verify after. Don't ask why, but thats what fixed the problem with the DVD for me and many others.

I was able to get Lion installed on a VM locally , no issues whatsoever . So many of the issues people are speaking of are simple things that apple made as default, and can be changed easily. I'll make another ISO and burn it slower ( and I never verify ) just don't have the patience nor do i care, it either works or it doesn't.

Until you mentioned it , I had assumed it might be that I don't use any GUI to convert, I simply run

hdiutil convert thefile.dmg -format UDTO -o thefile.iso
[/code]

to convert DMG to ISO , I'll select the slow burn next time.

Any input on the macbook pro crash issues ? Again , might be user error , but how can it be. Think I'll see about getting a new image burnt and chucking it on a separate drive for now.

Thanks for the advice