Buckey Express Ohio 50/3

mudmanc4

Look out , there's a lot of " I's " in here lol

For the last 8 weeks or so I've been with buckey , signed on with there 50 / 3 , seemed to be working " OK " , but gradually went south, within 2-4 weeks. Although i cannot cap out here , I couldn't with RR either so I was not to concerned about it since I was moving satisfactorily .

I finally had some time to get with there CS , of course the gal tells me " everything looks great from here " ,she refused to send me to a real tech, so I asked to downgrade the bandwidth package and was transferred .

Long of the short , I ended up getting to a tech that escalated the issue, and gave me a time to " max out " my connection as best I could. So I started streaming a movie , opened several windows of youtube with people that had 100 or more videos and hit there auto run, came to testmy.net and set the 200 MB download test in several windows and a couple 29 MB upload connections. Started uploading disk 1-8 of centos x86_64 via FTP to my server in S cali , and a few other things on a couple other machines locally, just to eat up s much bandwidth as possible.

Of course most everything puked out after a while.

He calls back and tells me his tech said i was running torrents and using a router ( I dont use a router I use pfsense and a cisco 2900-xl-en for the switch ) and i was not running any torrents at the time. They obviously noticed the uploads from FTP and assumed i was torrenting , or is that the standard answer when they cannot locate the issue ?

He is pretty much dismissing any issues by insinuating i am trying to share data over a P2P network and claims that because of this massive uploading of torrents , I'm borking my download because of it.

Finally he tells me I'm going to get no more then 8-10 Mbps with this connection. Oh , ok , then why do they sell me a connection they cannot supply ? I'll obviously be downgrading to there 10 Mbps connection , since that is all they claim I'm going to get.

/ rant tickedoff.gif

Fin clowns !!!!!!

True that ! What I do not think he meant to say , is the " all your really going to get is 8-10 Mbps "

Personally I would not like to be one of the many that talk to customers at these places , and knowingly lie to them every day for the benefit of the company. Wow

Damn that's lame. Like you said, why call it 50/3 if they're only going to give you 12Mbps down max. False advertising. What, you can't torrent! There are legit reasons for torrents.

So you don't torrent at all? Even to get linux distros and such?

Buckeye must have a weak network if they have to worry that much about their users traffic. IMO, it's none of your ISPs business what you're doing. Also, IMO if your ISP quotes 1Mbps (for instance) then you should be allowed to run a 1Mbps stream of consistant data if you want. Otherwise they need to advertise it as a burstable connection.

Shit , I torrent whatever I have to. Mainly as you mentioned linux distros, I'll share the piss out of the new versions until I see a slowdown of requests.

During the conversation , the guy was very much so hesitant to relay what the "engineer" had to say , he was either making it up on the fly , or knew he would get a laugh out of me. Told him I torrent all the time. he replied with " oh no , it's ok , you can do what you like " . yessssssss , ˆ know lol

I'm going to get hold of someone I used to know that works up in one of there offices monday, see what there is to be said when a tech tells you you have equipment running in your LAN that you don't, and incorrectly detects ( or states incorrectly ) what packets he see's as he's troubleshooting. As well as someone telling you that your only going to get 1/5 bandwidth your paying for.

uhh yea, i also mentioned to him when he asked me to test locally on there servers, that I did not sign up for a local area connection , but I signed up for an internet connection. Got quite quiet momentarily after that one 2funny.gif

uhh yea, i also mentioned to him when he asked me to test locally on there servers, that I did not sign up for a local area connection , but I signed up for an internet connection. Got quite quiet momentarily after that one 2funny.gif

that's awesome :icon_thumleft:

Right now I'm logging with screenshots from their test site ( using Ookla ) of course , as well as testmy.net stats, in which after years of usage , a person knows by the pageload when there is an issue, but the fact I can log everything here, download in several different formats for submission to the ISP, is priceless.

Next week or so I'll have enough data to call and ask " hey , why is it when I am trying to stream audio, which btw ranges from 60-120 Kbps , do i get cut offs when I refresh a page, or click cntl+s to upload a refined file to a server " ?

Interesting enough , friday is generally my finish up whats laying around day , as people usually call for there machines on saturday or monday. So updating several new windows boxes with xp sp2 , downloaded at between 3.5 - 6.8 MBps. So tell me there's no DPI going on ! Sure , MS has good servers , but not that much better then anyone else can get , however i do believe they have preferential treatment when it comes to bandwidth. I think I would be rather naive if i thought otherwise.

Very choppy though , again , streaming internet talk radio , and updating an OS , should be rather stabile, yet during the download the range was as i said , very unstable. Should be maxed out easily............easily !

I downloaded 2 torrents Lastnight at around 3.5MB/s and was uploading at 150kb/s and streaming netflix all while people in another room were playing games with a very stable 60ms ping to a Texas server on my 50meg connection I don't see why your experience should be different

I downloaded 2 torrents Lastnight at around 3.5MB/s and was uploading at 150kb/s and streaming netflix all while people in another room were playing games with a very stable 60ms ping to a Texas server on my 50meg connection I don't see why your experience should be different

Ok wait a sec, although I agree with you as my connection should be just fine, fact remains , it is not. Therefore it can only be assumed that something along the lines of ISP peering, or there cluttered over globbed up nodes are borkin out. Plus you being in AZ and me in OH , with different ISP's , that makes one hell of a difference. you know ?

Guess I'm on the defensive about this whole thing. lol

...as well as testmy.net stats, in which after years of usage , a person knows by the pageload when there is an issue...

I know exactly what you mean... once you've used this site enough you can tell allot by how the progress meter runs. But that's not going to stop me from creating something to display more visually the connection flow. I know exactly how I'm going to do it, the system has most of the framework in place to do it... but that remaining code is a doozie, maybe in v12.

Oh of course all I meant was I support your belief that they have something going on cause if I could do all that you shouldn't have had any problems

Yea I know bud , I have to watch how i say things, I can come across abrasive when I'm passionate about something. Sometimes in text , it's difficult to portray your thoughts and demeanor , see how much we rely on facial expressions and body language ? lol

Anyhow , these twigs at the ISP that sell you bandwidth that they cannot possibly supply, stabbing you i the poopie shoot with the bill and scabbing off the calls to tech service for comedic material at the company picnic, the only ones who complain are the ones who generally do no more then randomly brows emails and a couple web pages. IE: buckey-express aka bex.net aka buckeycablesystem.com aka the Block brothers play toy.