Hi All

debbie53

Hi from Vermont, the land of dial-up internet. I moved here a little over two years ago from Connecticut, where I had enjoyed several years of trouble-free DSL through a local provider. Only dial-up or very expensive satellite has been available here until a few weeks ago. I feel like I have been living with one hand tied behind my back and the other in a sling.

FairPoint has been working seven days a week this summer stringing cable for DSL, and I finally got connected two days ago. Overall, it is so much faster, but too frequently will time out trying to connect to a site, and I have not been able to use my new account for mail, either their webmail or my email client, due to problems with their mail server. Their support desk says they don't know when it will be fixed.

In the process of trying to diagnose the email problem, they sent me to several Flash-based speed testing sites, none of which worked. Today I found TestMy.net through a Google search, and except for a couple of time-outs during the testing, it actually worked. Thanks to the people who put up this site! I would like to monitor my connection speed from time to time to see if there are any problems. I don't know if anyone here has had experience with FairPoint.

I feel like I have been living with one hand tied behind my back and the other in a sling.

.. love the analogy.

FairPoint has been working seven days a week this summer stringing cable for DSL, and I finally got connected two days ago. Overall, it is so much faster, but too frequently will time out trying to connect to a site, and I have not been able to use my new account for mail, either their webmail or my email client, due to problems with their mail server. Their support desk says they don't know when it will be fixed.

... a couple Mbps is better than no Mbps. Unfortunately there are still many areas with limited broadband options. One day you'll be able to get 1Gbps... anywhere. The question is, how far into the future is that?

In the process of trying to diagnose the email problem, they sent me to several Flash-based speed testing sites, none of which worked. Today I found TestMy.net through a Google search, and except for a couple of time-outs during the testing, it actually worked. Thanks to the people who put up this site!

You're welcome! This website is my passion. Thank you for the positive feedback and welcome to the site. :-)