Very erratic upload speeds

debbie53

...If you notice, you got better results IMMEDIATELY after a test. It looks like your ISP is either opening a real connection through the internet, or you have something that is caching the tests.

Thanks,

EBrown

So it would seem, from that sequence of tests. This morning I tried to run the tests closer together, starting a new test as soon as the previous one had finished, hoping to see if anything changed with the pattern. This is what I got.

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:49:06 am 713 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:48:17 am 4 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:41:41 am 716 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:41:01 am 727 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:40:19 am 714 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:39:34 am 711 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:38:53 am 4 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:32:09 am 725 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:31:26 am 710 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:30:39 am 725 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:29:46 am 712 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:28:45 am 730 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:27:54 am 4 Kbps

I am not sure what you mean about the ISP opening a real connection through the internet. I can try clearing my browser cache before each test, to see if it makes any difference.

So it would seem, from that sequence of tests. This morning I tried to run the tests closer together, starting a new test as soon as the previous one had finished, hoping to see if anything changed with the pattern. This is what I got.

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:49:06 am 713 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:48:17 am 4 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:41:41 am 716 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:41:01 am 727 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:40:19 am 714 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:39:34 am 711 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:38:53 am 4 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:32:09 am 725 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:31:26 am 710 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:30:39 am 725 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:29:46 am 712 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:28:45 am 730 Kbps

Tue Aug 09 2011 @ 9:27:54 am 4 Kbps

I am not sure what you mean about the ISP opening a real connection through the internet. I can try clearing my browser cache before each test, to see if it makes any difference.

I mean that your ISP only has a basic tunnel open, and when you request data the Routing Protocol finds a better path after the first request. However, that doesn't look to be the case as the tests got slow approximately 6 minutes after a previous one.

It looks like the only issue left is your Modem or PC. I would send the info posted here to your ISP and have them try to fix your issue. (It's most likely an old modem that needs replaced.)

Thanks,

EBrown

Problem solved! :D Before buying a new modem, I decided to try one more thing. The network cable FairPoint sent me has a Y on the end, so it can be connected either into a network card or usb port. Their instructions said to use the network card rather than the usb, if one was available, so that is what I did. I know the net cards on both the desktop and laptop computers work, because I frequently use them to transfer files back and forth.

I tried connecting the modem through the usb port and then the email worked and the web pages stopped hanging. I reconnected it through the RJ45 and was back to the same problems. Although I had done it before, I tried a different network cable that I knew was good, and again had problems.

Now I think there must be some incompatibility between the modem and both of my network cards. Both computers are running Linux, so I don't know if there is some issue with the drivers that they will work with my router but not the DSL modem. Anyway, everything looks good when I connect through the usb, so that is what I will do.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me to troubleshoot this. I hope this discussion may be able to help someone else with similar problems.

Problem solved! :D Before buying a new modem, I decided to try one more thing. The network cable FairPoint sent me has a Y on the end, so it can be connected either into a network card or usb port. Their instructions said to use the network card rather than the usb, if one was available, so that is what I did. I know the net cards on both the desktop and laptop computers work, because I frequently use them to transfer files back and forth.

I tried connecting the modem through the usb port and then the email worked and the web pages stopped hanging. I reconnected it through the RJ45 and was back to the same problems. Although I had done it before, I tried a different network cable that I knew was good, and again had problems.

Now I think there must be some incompatibility between the modem and both of my network cards. Both computers are running Linux, so I don't know if there is some issue with the drivers that they will work with my router but not the DSL modem. Anyway, everything looks good when I connect through the usb, so that is what I will do.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me to troubleshoot this. I hope this discussion may be able to help someone else with similar problems.

I'm glad you solved it. You might try a different modem In the future if you want to get away from that usb connection. Something sounds fishy about that whole setuo

I'm glad you solved it. You might try a different modem In the future if you want to get away from that usb connection. Something sounds fishy about that whole setuo

Someone from FairPoint called me today, and when I told him how I had gotten it to work, he said they would send me a different modem, a newer model. I will wait to see what happens with that.

Someone from FairPoint called me today, and when I told him how I had gotten it to work, he said they would send me a different modem, a newer model. I will wait to see what happens with that.

good deal! let us know how it works.

~ TriRan

Problem solved! :D ...

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that you figured it all out. :-D

• CA3LE locked this topic