Server Virtualization / Containers

mudmanc4

Running centos 6 x86_64 ( yes I know , never run anything production on a dot zero release ) but this can be handled in my situation. I'm sure before i configure and harden the server there'll be the 6.1 pokin round the wild.

Open source / free for the masses is the way to go. Along those lines what are you using ?

Running centos 6 x86_64 ( yes I know , never run anything production on a dot zero release )

Open source / free for the masses is the way to go. Along those lines what are you using ?

Yep, I've made the dot zero mistake a few times. Definitely worth waiting for the next release almost every time. Part of the reason I haven't upgraded to the newest version of IPB yet ;) -- although IPB does now have a .1 release of that I think I'm still going to wait a little longer.

I run REDHAT Enterprise 5.5 x86_64 here... been running RHE since about 2003 or so.

Yes , 3.2 has a few bugs ,not bad though. 3.2.1 is out in the wild now, might be a good time to load it up on the dev server. I'll be directly upgrading 3.2 to.1 later today , and then move to customers forums by late next week if all is well.

I was running centos 5.5 ( same thing as rhel afaik less the support and proprietary software as you well know I'm sure) with the 2.6 VT kernel, I used ispconfig on it for dns zones , ( I just don't deal with dns in the console very well yet ). Although I had one vm server running without a hitch, thats as far as I went with it.

Everything is set up and running 6 . It is ( mostly ) using developmental repos for everything due to being so early in the release. Much of which had to be compiled from source locally. So really I'm ahead of the game and likely will not upgrade until the next major update unless something goes wonky.

Been reading a lot on virtualization options, I'm still relatively stuck though, as i would like the ability to run a container " like " OS environment, but this is limited to running all linux servers. The hardware on this one is VT capable , so the option is there. Thinking of running both , xen and openVZ.

Yep, I've made the dot zero mistake a few times. Definitely worth waiting for the next release almost every time. Part of the reason I haven't upgraded to the newest version of IPB yet ;) -- although IPB does now have a .1 release of that I think I'm still going to wait a little longer.

I run REDHAT Enterprise 5.5 x86_64 here... been running RHE since about 2003 or so.

Yeah, 3.2.1 is still iffy.

The dumbass I run a site with decided to upgrade to 3.2 BETA and then kept complaining to me about how it was so buggy, and how IP.B sucks, etc. It's hard to explain to some people that Beta releases are just that, beta's.

I use Windows Server 2003 for my site's, on a Windows Server 2008 Server. Hyper-V All the way. :P

Thanks,

EBrown

EBrown can you elaborate on your issues with 3.2.1 ?

And yea , a beta in production ? silly.

At this point in the day it's looking like KVM , since politics have obviously hit the red hat trio , and they chucked xen with the 6 release.

3.2.1 Still has some issues that 3.2 had. Minor things. I wouldn't trust it on production yet.

Thanks,

EBrown

3.2.1 Still has some issues that 3.2 had. Minor things. I wouldn't trust it on production yet.

Thanks,

EBrown

I'm listening but I'm not getting anything that would warrant not using 3.2.1 on a production environment. Actually thats why I asked for something concrete as you claim. Anything.

I'm listening but I'm not getting anything that would warrant not using 3.2.1 on a production environment. Actually thats why I asked for something concrete as you claim. Anything.

There are several interface bugs (Between IP.B and other applications) that I have seen. A few BBCode and Emoticon issues. (Not really major.) Small PM issues. JavaScript bugs. Most of them are minor. A couple speed issues, that you will see if you view page load time. (I saw a 40% average increase in time taken. 0.150 to 0.210)

In all honesty, it can be used on a production environment, but from what I have seen with my own experience it is still buggy. It is not unstable, but there are a few issues that may affect users.

Thanks,

EBrown

As complex as these applications are getting, it's not surprising that there might be minor bugs. I was on the QA in dev for both and this is the first time Iv'e heard anyone say they wouldn't trust it in production. Even 3.2.0 , so naturally I was curious.

Major issue as far as I'm concerned is the editor change , although more options for users, there are more bugs in the thing from years ago that have never been addressed ( maybe this will strike a match under someone ) then in the entirety of 3.2.x lol Why on earth they implemented it is beyond me.

Anyhow , speaking of tripe , going back to 5.5 or .6 on centos , since xen was chucked , and i need a panel since i dont run xserver ( my lack of ability in the DNS / zone area through the console ) and more lack of give a crap to learn what I need to right now to get it done ) Maybe sometime early next year I'll make the move up.

And yea , a beta in production ? silly.

Hey hey hey... Don't knock using a beta in production. Sometimes it works out well I've done it before. Of course I tested the crap out it first.

I keep it simple now to keep things stable. I run CentOS on every server and I never run anyone else's scripts. Everyone is custom to what I want.

Hey hey hey... Don't knock using a beta in production. Sometimes it works out well I've done it before. Of course I tested the crap out it first.

I keep it simple now to keep things stable. I run CentOS on every server and I never run anyone else's scripts. Everyone is custom to what I want.

Ok Ok lol, I can imagine beta in production could be rather useful if you didnt have a broad base of testers. Simply act on user commentary from use.

So what do you suggest for server virtualization, should i go back to 5.5 , should i use KVM , hyperVM , open VZ , Xen ..........

Ok Ok lol, I can imagine beta in production could be rather useful if you didnt have a broad base of testers. Simply act on user commentary from use.

So what do you suggest for server virtualization, should i go back to 5.5 , should i use KVM , hyperVM , open VZ , Xen ..........

CentOS 6 is pretty stable I haven't heard many real complaints about it so far. But I will run 5.5 and will till my next main server build.

For virtualization I would only do OpenVZ or Xen. OpenVZ is cool because its free, can do a ton of things but the containers part sucks for at least my needs. I hate not having support for things like Fuse/SSHFS out of the box.

I prefer Xen because of better performance and it has all the features I've ever needed built in.