Queston about modem upload speed

darkone999

I have a linksys wrt54g and a ZyXEL - EQ-660R-F1 adsl router/modem (from century link).I orderd just the modem and thats what it is just a modem but says router on the bottem also.I have the 10/1 plan with century link.I am getting the download speed right on but the upload speeds are very slow about half or less (360 to 470kbs) upstream.I read some where that the modem I Have has its own NAT like my router and that this causes problems.Any iedas or help with this would be great.I build my own computers and know my way around most OS's but when it comes to networking and such I only have the basics down.

Thanks in advance

Tim

CA3LE

I wish I could but I cant get to the set up page for my modem.I have done some research and tried to use 192.168.2.1 to get to the modem setup but only failed to connect.Here is a link to a how to page for this issue http://www.ehow.com/how_2283354_bridge-centurylink-660-dsl-modem.html

I have tried several times via web research to get to the modem setup but all failed.I not sure if this is my issue but until I can tinker with the modem I wont know.I am 99.9% sure its not my router and my PC is setup fine too I used tcp optimizer to tweak and check my connection through windows XP sp2.One thing I do have a queston about after doing some research here is why I have so many things running in my local area connection I will post a few pics for ur thoughts as attached files.

network1.bmp

network2.bmp

Any thoughts on this matter

Thanks in advance

Tim

some of those are just standard tcp/ip modules that are installed on every windows computer with the exception of the Symantic Network Security Intermediate Filter Driver ( that one is from norton's internet security i imagine its a firewall ) other than that one nothing to be alarmed about

try http://10.0.0.1 thats common for a dsl modem, with an old router i had, my router couldn't automaticly reroute me to the modems page because they were on different subnets. try plugging your computer directly into the modem/router to configure it, it will be a lot easier to find your routers config page that way. once you connect directly to the modem/router in your local area network connection status you can see the gateway which is your modem/router and should be able to connect to that local ip in your browser

assuming your on windows XP go to the control panel > network connections

here are some walk through's once you get there

right click hit status

post-3263-0-36043400-1314343332_thumb.pn

click details

post-3263-0-23707200-1314343621_thumb.jp

and there you have it!

post-3263-0-74307300-1314343531_thumb.jp

some of those are just standard tcp/ip modules that are installed on every windows computer with the exception of the Symantic Network Security Intermediate Filter Driver ( that one is from norton's internet security i imagine its a firewall ) other than that one nothing to be alarmed about

try http://10.0.0.1 thats common for a dsl modem, with an old router i had, my router couldn't automaticly reroute me to the modems page because they were on different subnets. try plugging your computer directly into the modem/router to configure it, it will be a lot easier to find your routers config page that way. once you connect directly to the modem/router in your local area network connection status you can see the gateway which is your modem/router and should be able to connect to that local ip in your browser

assuming your on windows XP go to the control panel > network connections

here are some walk through's once you get there

right click hit status

post-3263-0-36043400-1314343332_thumb.pn

click details

post-3263-0-23707200-1314343621_thumb.jp

and there you have it!

post-3263-0-74307300-1314343531_thumb.jp

TriRan

Thanks that ip got me into my modem.I briged the modem and worked out fine.This didnt help my upload speed but at least I can tweak my modem now as I am going to read somw posts here and try to make some changes to help my upload speed.

Thanks again

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

No problem Tim,

Glad it all worked out (sort of) let us know if you have any more questions

TriRan

Hey TriRan

Just an update.I did have to go into this modem I listed in above post and bridge it to work well with Xbox Live.Once I used the ip address u gave me to get into the modem It was real easy to bridge the modem in the setup menu.I played with the settings in the modem but had little results to increase my upload speed :( Im pretty much stuck on about 400 Kbs up.On the bright side my connection to Xbox live is outstanding now once I got into the modem and briged it.Thanks again and will tell my friends about this site..

Tim

Hey TriRan

Just an update.I did have to go into this modem I listed in above post and bridge it to work well with Xbox Live.Once I used the ip address u gave me to get into the modem It was real easy to bridge the modem in the setup menu.I played with the settings in the modem but had little results to increase my upload speed :( Im pretty much stuck on about 400 Kbs up.On the bright side my connection to Xbox live is outstanding now once I got into the modem and briged it.Thanks again and will tell my friends about this site..

Tim

sorry we couldn't sort out the upload Tim, it's probably limited to the modem... i had an old modem a while back i couldn't get even close to my advertised speeds with so i bought a zoom ADSL modem and bam it was instantly fixed

i'm glad you got the modem bridged like you wanted though and its good to hear you can now use XBox live :D

~ TriRan