Question about the wireless backbone.....

ninjageek

I will be the first to say I Understand wired connection. But with Wireless I am pretty clueless. Does Wireless have the same possible issues that the wired connection have? With Cable over selling in my area so bad, More and More are going DSL. Its faster, More reliable. Does Wireless have the same issues ? More and More are going wireless, Will they eventually have the same issues with the backbone network that the wired connection has. To many connections, To much usage and the connection will become almost unusable. Will the wireless companies be able to meet demand ? I hope all that makes sense.

I saw a program once, with some simple stuff you got at radio shack it was pretty easy to listen to a cell phone conversation. I have no idea if thats still possible. I would think, that with all this information just floating around, Security could become a major issue in time, Or am I way off base?

So wireless does have the same possible band width issues as wired. While I am sure the wired community is a bit relieved, Looks like wireless may have some major issues in the near future. I would guess even the net itself could see some problems. To many users, to many connections. Thanks for the video that helped me understand it a bit better.

I am thinking we are depending way to much on internet connections, that could be a bad thing.

That video is talking about the wavelengths used by wireless devices crowding the available frequencies. You got:

AM

FM

wireless networks

blue-tooth

CB-Radios

Aviation communication

Naval communication

Wireless home phones

Professional Wireless microphones

Global positioning satellites

AND

remote controls

All these devices are sharing a very limited range of frequencies available to be transmitted effectively in earth's atmosphere.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/radio-spectrum1.htm

NinjaGeek asked

Will the wireless companies be able to meet demand?

The costs to build a fast wireless infrastructure on a city wide scale are ridiculously expensive so there exists a point where providers would have to limit coverage, or speed, or raise prices. (can you afford a cell tower every 1-2 miles)

"Until and unless the current laws of physics are invalidated in ways that remove current limits on spectrum capacity such as are embodied in Shannon’s Law, the future will see: (1) The vast majority of broadband traffic (as distinct from numbers of broadband subscriptions) continuing to be carried (delivered and transmitted) over fixed access networks; and (2) Demands for broadband traffic from wireless or mobile subscribers outstrip the capacity of all the bandwidth available for radio access networks to handle it, even with the use of the new spectrum that can be allocated and the deployment of more spectrally efficient technologies... Bandwidth within one optical fiber is vastly greater than all the bandwidth that might theoretically be made available for mobile communications, even if every megahertz were to be refarmed for mobile services. A single mode fiber has a bandwidth of as much as 100,000 GHz, or 100 terahertz, whereas total valuable spectrum for mobile communications provides bandwidth of no more than at most 3 GHz."
http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.com/2011/06/truth-about-wireless-bandwidth-crisis.html

Compare transmitting at the speed of sound, speed of electricity, and speed of light. (just an example not accurate velocities)