Finding Canopy on Windows 7

lessidor

First off, I know my 169.254.1.1 is the location of my Canopy. Using Windows XP, I can see Canopy. But when I want to view Canopy on my laptop which has Windows 7, I can't view it. Laptop needed on top of the roof for re-positioning of satellite. Desktops with Windows XP too cumbersome to relocate on top of 25 foot roof. When I type in Canopy's url as above, Firefox says "The connection was reset...The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading...." I have tried other browsers on the Windows 7 laptop like Internet Explorer, and Opera, same problem. How can I access Canopy through Windows 7? Remember I already know the correct location of 169.254.1.1.

I assume that you're on SmartBRO...

Well, the topic is at -- but I'm seeing the most recent posts people on Windows 7 aren't having much luck with that method.

Personally, if I couldn't find the new way to do it... and if I couldn't figure it out, I would use virtual machine and windows XP to get the job done. Or try to get access to a windows XP machine, since we know that those instructions work perfectly on XP.

PLEASE, if you find the new way to do this let this forum know. Allot of SmartBRO users are looking for this information.

First off, I know my 169.254.1.1 is the location of my Canopy. Using Windows XP, I can see Canopy. But when I want to view Canopy on my laptop which has Windows 7, I can't view it. Laptop needed on top of the roof for re-positioning of satellite. Desktops with Windows XP too cumbersome to relocate on top of 25 foot roof. When I type in Canopy's url as above, Firefox says "The connection was reset...The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading...." I have tried other browsers on the Windows 7 laptop like Internet Explorer, and Opera, same problem. How can I access Canopy through Windows 7? Remember I already know the correct location of 169.254.1.1.

Why are you using a Link-Local address? That seems strange. (Although I don't use Smart-Bro.)

Make sure your PC's IP is set in the same Subnet. (169.254.1.2-169.254.1.254)

Thanks,

EBrown

EBrown: Already tried restricting the IP address/subnet to that. Doesn't work.

CA3LE: Saw that information on other sites too, doesn't work as you said with Windows 7.

Talked to my provider, he said earlier versions of Windows 7 have something in the coding that prevent access. They don't have a solution. He didn't tell me which later versions work. Although, he mentioned if a person has Windows 7 Professional, then can add another operating system like Vista or XP to access programs that don't work with Windows 7.

My easiest solution was to borrow my daughter's Blackberry with internet access. Just punch in 169.254.1.1, wham, right there, everything! Can even set AutoUpdate to 1 sec. Just love it when a tool works well in an unexpected area!

Probably have to make your network unsecured temporarily though for the Blackberry to access the location.