Is the upload test very slow on Firefox for other people as well?

houkouonchi

It was slow enough to the point that it was causing an internal sever error on the server (I am guessing as it hit a several minute timeout). The delay is during the generating of random data when firefox uses 100% cpu usage on my system (and downloads at a relatively low speed during this time). At first I thought it might just be a server issue until I tested it with chrome and the largest upload test only took a few seconds to start uploading data instead of a few minutes.

I was just curious if the slowness is normal or something specific to firefox on linux.

That's a weird issue. Sometimes I've seen that happen when people have certain security programs running. Usually Firefox is one of the best performing browsers here. Maybe try reinstalling Firefox. But, the test doesn't actually start until after that data is loaded. So if your being effected by slow loading ... it shouldn't effect the upload results.

That's a weird issue. Sometimes I've seen that happen when people have certain security programs running. Usually Firefox is one of the best performing browsers here. Maybe try reinstalling Firefox. But, the test doesn't actually start until after that data is loaded. So if your being effected by slow loading ... it shouldn't effect the upload results.

Reinstalling firefox would not make a difference if it really was plugin related as those are not removed from 'reinstalling' it atleast on linux.

Also I have the same problem on a compiled 64-bit version of firefox as well as the 32-bit firefox binary so it surprises me both are affected if it is just a plugin. They are quite a bit different in versions too.

Curious if anyone else on linux also sees this problem.

Reinstalling firefox would not make a difference if it really was plugin related as those are not removed from 'reinstalling' it atleast on linux.

Also I have the same problem on a compiled 64-bit version of firefox as well as the 32-bit firefox binary so it surprises me both are affected if it is just a plugin. They are quite a bit different in versions too.

Curious if anyone else on linux also sees this problem.

I test in Firefox under Linux all the time and haven't seen this. Which distro are you using?

What's up with that crazy connection you've got too... insane fast. You should post a video if you have the ability, I'd like to see what that looks like while it's running. :-P

houkouonchi.png

I test in Firefox under Linux all the time and haven't seen this. Which distro are you using?

What's up with that crazy connection you've got too... insane fast. You should post a video if you have the ability, I'd like to see what that looks like while it's running. :-P

houkouonchi.png

I am using sabayon. I haven't taken the bullet to upgrade to the much newer versions of firefox (still using the newest 3.6.x) so its possible the newer one will fix this issue. Did you ever see this issue in the past as I have always seen this long delay for as long as I remember using testmy.net on multiple computers running linux/firefox so I thought it was normal.

Here is a video of some spedtests I just took now for you. I did speedtest.net testmy.net and VZ's own speedtest applet.

It might still be processing though so give it a few minutes.

It was about time so I finally updated to firefox 6. The upload test starts *MUCH* faster now (almost as fast as chrome). However; I am still getting an internal server error (500) when testing any of the larger sized tests (over 17MB). So I guess the 500 error was not caused by a timeout.

Yeah, I just got done testing and it worked fine for me.

... that actually was a timeout error. Somehow a couple of php configuration settings got reset to default, a ghost in the server.. Gremlins ... I dunno. But I fixed it. This explains the exhausted allocation errors I've been seeing in my logs...

I'm talking about max_execution_time in php.ini by the way... Although, I'm surprised you're hitting that... you should be finishing well before that execution limit.

... by the way.. I'm jealous for once. I want that connection!

Yeah, I just got done testing and it worked fine for me.

... that actually was a timeout error. Somehow a couple of php configuration settings got reset to default, a ghost in the server.. Gremlins ... I dunno. But I fixed it. This explains the exhausted allocation errors I've been seeing in my logs...

I'm talking about max_execution_time in php.ini by the way... Although, I'm surprised you're hitting that... you should be finishing well before that execution limit.

... by the way.. I'm jealous for once. I want that connection!

Working for a web-hosting company so initially that is exactly what I figured it was either a max_execution_time or possibly a fcgi (if using fcgi) timeout. However, even now I am still getting the 500 error on tests over 17 MB and the 29 MB upload test takes only 30 seconds or so to run (if that).

Working for a web-hosting company so initially that is exactly what I figured it was either a max_execution_time or possibly a fcgi (if using fcgi) timeout. However, even now I am still getting the 500 error on tests over 17 MB and the 29 MB upload test takes only 30 seconds or so to run (if that).

try again, I may have forgotten to restart apache... I'm tired