Satellite Broadband speed

fat61t

• 5 months later...

I am a rural resident and satellite is my only option here on an island in the 1000 Islands area of Eastern Ontario. My neighbors has had slow performance with the old $$$ xPlornet satellite service and a competitors wifi. Late last year xPlornet parntered with the new Viasat-1 4g satellite. Having an IT background, I felt that satellite was worth taking a look at since I am not a gamer, and the latency should not be an issue for me. Also cost has come down.

This is my first month trying it out. It is OK for Skyping. I'm averaging 3mbps down but having probems getting consistent results across different testing sites. This site records around 220kbs up, a flash site records around 400 kbps up. I'm supposed to be getting 500 kbps up. Reliability could be better, I have had a couple of 24hr outages already for technical reasons and speed fluctuates, but I am trying to live with these for now with the hope that the bugs will be ironed out and 4g technology will come through.

I'd like to see a way to add time and date stamping to the results graph here at Testmy, otherwise thsi is a fantastic site. Found it using Google.

I find xPlornet customer service very good. The pre-sales supplier could have been a bit better reviewing the contract and billing process with me but their installers were very competent and got me a good SNR...averages around 8.5 sometimes hits 10.

I'd like to see a way to add time and date stamping to the results graph here at Testmy, otherwise thsi is a fantastic site. Found it using Google.

This is something I want in the next version of my graphs. I have no problem doing this now but I currently can't do this (accurately) if the graphs are displaying multiple plots. Like upload and download speed on the same graph. This is because they share the information of the x-axis. If you click the little arrows in your results it will filter by test type. Once you've filtered it down to either just upload speed or download speed you'll see the date information when you hover.

post-2-0-01125300-1332728584.png

clicking the red and blue arrows in the results will filter by test type... then date and time will be shown on the graph

post-2-0-61770800-1332729169_thumb.png

see...

Because they currently share that axis... if I put the date in there, it wouldn't match because the the upload and download tests aren't always taken at the same time. I'm working on it though. Just be patient with me and realize that I'm a single person programming all of this.

Thank you for your patronage, please tell your friends! :)

- Damon

This is something I want in the next version of my graphs. I have no problem doing this now but I currently can't do this (accurately) if the graphs are displaying multiple plots. Like upload and download speed on the same graph. This is because they share the information of the x-axis. If you click the little arrows in your results it will filter by test type. Once you've filtered it down to either just upload speed or download speed you'll see the date information when you hover.

post-2-0-01125300-1332728584.png

clicking the red and blue arrows in the results will filter by test type... then date and time will be shown on the graph

see...

Because they currently share that axis... if I put the date in there, it wouldn't match because the the upload and download tests aren't always taken at the same time. I'm working on it though. Just be patient with me and realize that I'm a single person programming all of this.

Thank you for your patronage, please tell your friends! :)

- Damon

not only that but a father to top it off! hes a busy busy man lol

btw welcome to the site Woodlane!

~ TriRan