New PC - Sound OK?

xs1

==============================================================

Dell XPS 8300

Processors:

Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)

Operating System:

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

Hardware Support Services:

2 Year Basic Support

Memory:

8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs

Hard Drive:

1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Optical Drive:

Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Sound:

THX® TruStudio PC™

Wireless:

Dell 1520 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card & internal antenna

Network Card:

Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet

VIDEO CARD

AMD Radeon™ HD 6670 1GB DDR5

XPS 8300

Market Value1 $1,302.99

Total Savings $413.00

Dell Price $889.99

====================================================================

Sound decent? I mean hardware vs. Price. Last time i went overboard and spent 2k on shit that didn't add up. Ideas?

Makes sense to use credit in some circumstances. If it works for you then I say have at it !

My only real issue with Dell is future issues with proprietary structure of the tower. Unless they've changed and parts are now interchangeable. So many times people have brought me a Dell with a mainboard problem , and it has to be one from Dell because they have the dam things made backwards. Sound strange ? The ports are all on the opposite side as anything you'll get aftermarket or Intel of the same or close to the same # board. Not to forget about the power supply , you get it from Dell or you get another case.

Other hen that , Iv'e got one here we grabbed almost 7 years ago now, still crankin away , with a few upgraded from then of course. And another Dell I use as a local file server thats nearly 7 years old I inherited still churning away as it was new.

And for an i7 either way , nice buy !

spec's look nice man especially for only $800, i'd have a hard time building that for only $800... does it include a monitor aswell?

Does not. I currently have a 20" flat. So in this case the monitor is sacrificed. I appreciate your input - I thought it was a pretty good deal.

If you can spring for the extra 60 bucks go for the Radeon 6770 over the 6670. There is a pretty good difference between the two otherwise the config is good.

i agree the 6770 is a nice card over the 6670 but if your not going to be gaming or running 3D Max and photoshop i don't think there is really a need to spend the extra money except to have peace of mind.

It really depends on what you're going to do with the new rig.

There aren't many programs that can take advantage of hyperthreading on the 2600(k), so you can choose to downgrade to a 2500(k) and save quite a bit of money. The multiplier unlocked version of the i7 2600 (aptly named i7 2600k) is just a teensy bit more expensive, and it'll let you run 4ghz easily if you care for it. Likewise, I can't recommend a regular 2500.

4 DIMMs for 8GB makes no sense, that should be 2x4GB instead.

While it would cost another 100 dollar or so, a 64GB SSD would be a great addition. You can either go for the Crucial M4 or Intel 320/510 (as well as a couple others) if you want to avoid potential issues with sandforce drives.

And finally... I think you can build your own rig for 900 dollar and have it match whatever Dell is offering.