Microsoft Trying to corner the entire market for generations to come.

mudmanc4

Stand up for your freedom to install free software

The following is a public statement, open for signing. For more background, please read our more detailed explanation of the issue at http://fsf.org/campa...restricted-boot.

Microsoft has announced that if computer makers wish to distribute machines with the Windows 8 compatibility logo, they will have to implement a measure called "Secure Boot." However, it is currently up for grabs whether this technology will live up to its name, or will instead earn the name Restricted Boot.

When done correctly, "Secure Boot" is designed to protect against malware by preventing computers from loading unauthorized binary programs when booting. In practice, this means that computers implementing it won't boot unauthorized operating systems -- including initially authorized systems that have been modified without being re-approved.

This could be a feature deserving of the name, as long as the user is able to authorize the programs she wants to use, so she can run free software written and modified by herself or people she trusts. However, we are concerned that Microsoft and hardware manufacturers will implement these boot restrictions in a way that will prevent users from booting anything other than Windows. In this case, we are better off calling the technology Restricted Boot, since such a requirement would be a disastrous restriction on computer users and not a security feature at all.Source

This should be considered a joke ! Microsoft is seriously pushing the boundaries of monarchy.

For one , what would any other reason so much attention be going to this if MS did not have unscrupulous measures in mind when they attempt something such as this.

Forcing all manufacturers to use there logo is just horrendous , let alone the possibilities as to hat they may do with the manufacturers they use ie: Intel , and other major brands.

Pay close attention to this , and if you care what so ever about being able to have a free and open market for hardware , and or software , you might do well for future generations to spread this as far as the Earth is a planet.

someone will hack that boot loader and post it for the world... and i will follow suit and use the hacked boot loader simple as that

Sure , but if you read as deep as possible in this thing ( which is not gone through as of yet afaik ) there purpose is security , so that unsigned MS code is not used . But what they could do with this very simply is not cool.

Rumors are just that , yet the talk on the other side is getting Intel ect to embed this code into chipsets, and or the UEFI. Not cool at all. The mere idea of it is astonishingly emblematic of past monopoly issues Microsoft has gone through , but trumps these by far.

Sure , but if you read as deep as possible in this thing ( which is not gone through as of yet afaik ) there purpose is security , so that unsigned MS code is not used . But what they could do with this very simply is not cool.

Rumors are just that , yet the talk on the other side is getting Intel ect to embed this code into chipsets, and or the UEFI. Not cool at all. The mere idea of it is astonishingly emblematic of past monopoly issues Microsoft has gone through , but trumps these by far.

i don't use intel or pre-built computers so i'm safe XD however i agree microsoft is going a bit to far but! on the other hand there is nothing that is unbreakable if they want to try to beef up the security they'll be wasting money because people will still find ways around it

Right , at the same time , if MS pulls this off , my thoughts are the major manufacturers of motherboard components won't be making any distinction between who is going to use what , when they start scribing the die for the chips. Anything purchased may very well have this technology.

And yes , people will still find ways around things. Look at it this way, take Tdawnaz for instance , she is a relatively new use of ubuntu, for reasons her and her son may have. There business right ? Now imaging this getting in where no matter what , you are forced to use microsoft software and or microsoft signed code.

Is Tdawn going to go through what it takes to implement the hacks , and take the chance of losing her digital media in the meantime because of it or is she just going to say , I'll just use the one here [place any link here that is MS certified] and be done with it ?

Using Tdawn may not be the best example for various reasons, but as a rule , overall , it's difficult enough to even educate someone enough to understand they have other choices besides microsoft. So overall , free open source software is going to suffer tremendously for many years to come if this gets through and is implemented in unscrupulous ways.

So people like you and me as well as so many others , that develop good code however small or large it might be , and give it to the world to better there experience and empower the freedom from costly and overbearing empires, will be shuffled even further under the cover of the imperialistic idealism's of some of the companies out there.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO just dont see many jumping up to windows 8. Windows 7 seems to be ok fine. Stable runs ok. I think this fast cycle of releases will bite microsoft in the behind. Who wants to change there entire OS every few years. From what little I have seen of windows 8, not impressed, will not make the switch.

I can see the issues now. Install a new program. Windows 8 wont boot up because it thinks you new program is bad. Oh yea, another great idea from microsoft. There are so many decent free anti-virus programs out there, just dont see how this is gonna keep anyone safe.

With the boot issue thing, oh I am guessing its not so much about virus and stuff, they are trying whatever to stop piracy. Thats my 2 cents.

Edited by ninjageek