OK guys here is my new dilemma

SUCCESS and FAILURE.

let me explain.

did some hard drive stuff again and the ps3 now installs great....

failure part is that it still gives the 14% install error on my network. neighbors network it'll go fine. so...besides setting up a static ip for the system should i make sure everything is good with port forwarding or what? basically even when i go direct from modem to ps3 it wont work on my network anyway. but yet on my neighbors wireless network it went 100% fine....

really strange >.< hmmm i'm totally stumped

just kept the tech guy from my isp...COX....on the phone for like an hour...tried static ip for the playstation, now did port forwarding...if nothing else i'll just take my ps3 to the neighbors house (1.5mbs dsl...oh joy) and download all 5gb of games i wanted haha.

still no luck. my ps3 is connected at a speed of 14mbps down and 3.5mbps up....yet install fails at 14% still...always 14....yet my neighbors connection still works...any ideas on how to get past this? perhaps a new modem? (mine is a year and a half or so old...not sure if there is a newer model).

Yank the drive , wipe it to 0's , reformat with gparted , cram it back in the POS3 and see what happens.

Could be a bad drive as you said a while ago, something sony is detecting but not telling, like corrupt sectors or getting tired motor who knows.

i was thinking something was wrong on the network side...like from my isp. because it'll work perfect on everything except my connection. which is crazy because at 14mbps down on a ps3 should be ok. and nothing has changed since i got the ps3....yet out of the blue this happens lol.

Not having to do what you have yet , the PS3 doesn't get used all that much around here, my questions are quite possibly ridiculous to someone that has.....

When you reformat the drive , are you doing it within the console itself ?

Does Sony have a utility just for this ? And if not how are you reformatting ?

Once reformatted , does Sony take over and install firmware to the drive and or updates before anything else can be done ?

With the drive reformatted , is there firmware on the PS3 that is usable and how ? What are the options if any ?

Just trying to get a better grasp on this, you have me immersed in this issue lol

lol well actually with an update to the system sony implemented a "safe mode" if you want to call it that. and there is a reformat utility in there, a database rebuild, and a few other options, of which i have done all. and when you use that menu to format the drive to literally factory settings, the system version is actually the latest one you had on before the format, which i thought was weird in the beginning.

:huh:i am now like this....

:o

:P

:laugh:

:ph34r:

:twisted:

...in that order.....

got the problem fixed...apparently after installing the games that failed the first time on my neighbors net solved the issue, just downloaded a different demo and installed no problem...although it did halt at 14-15% for a second, but worked fine.....go figure....

take that sony tech support! :booty::321::flipa::ih8u::tongue2:

found out that my signal level fluctuated pretty horribly the last time i looked...dunno what happened but i played a few rounds of payday the heist, gta4, red dead redemption online and downloaded nba jam on fire edition demo (it was a small one so i picked to test that) and no hiccups, no lag, nothing wrong....except a few players who booted me after i ganked them online in red dead redemption haha.

im keeping a close eye on all variables with my connection and the system, i'll definitely find out if there is a problem somewhere now. after all, this took forever and it was an awkward fix lol.