Different test results between Linux & Windows?

Heeter

Hey all,

Wondering about this.

I setup a test.

I took my Linux workstation (LinuxMint11Debian Edition) and ran several download tests. Averaged out approx. 1.3Mbps. I took the same workstation and put in a new hard drive and installed Windows7. Averaged out approx 2.2Mbps.

Same Modem, Router, Cat6 cable, Workstation (except for HD), Chrome 14 browser (Chrome 14 for both, not Chromium)

Why the difference?

Linux network card drivers? Shouldn't be, or can it?

Heeter

Good question, Heeter. I can get 25+ Mbps on Win7, but will only get 1-2 Mbps on Ubuntu /With Fire Fox on separate partition on the same PC. I have not dug into it, but I would like to correct this someday.

I, too, will wait for the Linux experts to chime in.....

Hey all, Wondering about this. I setup a test. I took my Linux workstation (LinuxMint11Debian Edition) and ran several download tests. Averaged out approx. 1.3Mbps. I took the same workstation and put in a new hard drive and installed Windows7. Averaged out approx 2.2Mbps. Same Modem, Router, Cat6 cable, Workstation (except for HD), Chrome 14 browser (Chrome 14 for both, not Chromium) Why the difference? Linux network card drivers? Shouldn't be, or can it? Heeter

What's up Heeter, I haven't seen you for a while.

You really shouldn't have a discrepancy like that. I just installed the latest LinuxMint 11 (Debian Edition). I got amazingly clean, quick tests with that setup out of the box. Very nice and I'm running it on a fairly light virtual machine configuration of only 1GB ram and 1 core. I haven't played with mint since 8, thanks for reminding me about it.

Here's a screenshot I just took.

post-2-0-13924800-1319694271_thumb.png

lol, I was getting a notification in the background.

TestMy.net's method does a good job of highlighting differences between browsers and configurations, more so than other speed tests I've pit it against. But in this case, I'd have to agree with Triran... I bet it's drivers. Your chip may be poorly supported in Linux. If it's a major issue that you're having a hard time resolving here's what I would personally do. Hopefully you have a better network card laying around or know a friend who may. If not, get one. Aim for something popular and well supported and obviously if they state they're Linux compatible that's a good sign.

Another thing you can do is look around and see if you can find someone out there that wrote better drivers. They're all over the place. But it can be a tireless search and can often be wasted time... in my experience. Usually just easier to change the card out in that instance.

... realize that I know nothing about the compatibility of your specific card in Linux... just letting you know how I'd troubleshoot it myself.

Thanks Ca3le, It has been a while. You know how life is............

Well I do have an Intel 1000 GT and an Intel 1000 Pro laying around here.

Would any of those net me better results?

Heeter

I hear that...

I'm not 100% positive but from my experience Intel based NIC cards usually have good linux support. Can't hurt to give it a try.

Also, have you messed with any TCP settings or are you running a fresh install?

Nah, Haven't messed with the TCP settings on the workstation.

I have changed the DNS settings on the router to OpenDNS address, that has helped too.

Later today, I will try out one of those cards, then I will issue a manual IP address to it, see how that goes.

This is not a fresh install, This was a fresh install way back when LinuxMint introduced the Debian Edition (Last year sometime, I think)

Heeter

Update:

Well I tried my 2 Intel pci NIC cards, they did constantly register approx 400 Mbps better than the onboard Realtek. I located on the intel website some up to date drivers. I installed them, to no avail.

I tried testmy.net speed test with my CR48 Chromebook wireless through my "N" router. I am getting than same speed as my wired desktop (1Mbps - 1.4Mbps).

Now I go to speedtest.net. Go figure, I am getting nearly 50MBps. Just like the package I am paying for (Shaw's Broadband 50 Package).

Just going to have to be happy with this setup, I guess.

Heeter

Well, I finally fixed it.

I contacted shaw and got my cisco router/modem disconnected. I re-enabled my old motorola surfboard with my overclocked Linksys WRT54G V2.2 with DD-WRT and 9Dbi antennas.

Now check out my tests.

Shaw has this package called Broadband 50, I signed up for the "upgrade" from my 25Mbps Extreme package. On speedtest.net, the broadband50 always shows up @50Mbps, even though was as slow as molasses, proven by speed tests here.

I just "downgraded" back to my previous package of "Extreme" 25Mbps, and speedtest.net now shows 25Mbps, but I can actually see my internet speed is a million times better. As proven by speed tests here.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Heeter

Well, I finally fixed it.

I contacted shaw and got my cisco router/modem disconnected. I re-enabled my old motorola surfboard with my overclocked Linksys WRT54G V2.2 with DD-WRT and 9Dbi antennas.

Now check out my tests.

Shaw has this package called Broadband 50, I signed up for the "upgrade" from my 25Mbps Extreme package. On speedtest.net, the broadband50 always shows up @50Mbps, even though was as slow as molasses, proven by speed tests here.

I just "downgraded" back to my previous package of "Extreme" 25Mbps, and speedtest.net now shows 25Mbps, but I can actually see my internet speed is a million times better. As proven by speed tests here.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Heeter

that's great news, glad you got it sorted!

Waiting for Ubuntu 11.10 upgrade. Says it should take 1.5 hours. I have a 50/5 connection. Hmmm. Gonna go to bed and leave the upgrade running. We shall see, Heeter......

hey dn0...how'd you do wit6h that upgrade...my ubuntu keeps asking me if i want to upgrade...but i'm nervous i'll lose my files, pictures, emails...etc. did you lose anything...and how do you like it.

Good morning Momma T! I did get the upgrade completed via Ethernet, and now the W-Fi works at full speed. But I have not checked to see if I lost anything yet (back on Win7). I have to get the kid to school and then off to work. I will check later on and respond back here.

Talk to you later.