Dude111

Another reason to get off Facebook!

People, mostly uneducated about the whims of those on social networking sites, do not truly understand the inherent dangers of posting on a public social networking site. A site such as testmy, which is a privately owned and operated site has more protection than a facebook-type site. You just can't teach the stupid people though.

What are the dangers of posting on social networking sites again ? And how do they differ from any forum with good SEO ?

Data mining is not restricted to any specific social network. Information is collected from any and every source available on the internet.

If you catch something one here you have people who care enough to remove the problem. Is that available on facebook? Myspace?

I need a little help understanding what " catch something on here " means to you ?

It's amazing , if you post your personal information anywhere on the web , it's there forever , somewhere , want to delete it ? Sure it works for the site you deleted it at , none the less , as soon as you hit return , most times seconds later that info is cached by one or hundreds if not thousands of data mining companies.

The confusion lies in what type of information you want out there.

no muddy...i think he meant if you happen to pick up a virus or whatever from somewhere...anywhere...and if you come to tmn...there is a ton of help here to help figure it out and help ya get rid of it...and fb or myspace or twitter or whatever other social networking site you go to ain't gonna help ya at all...only here at tmn :) i think that's what he meant anyhow...

GO TMN!!! the ultimate SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE :D

no muddy...i think he meant if you happen to pick up a virus or whatever from somewhere...anywhere...and if you come to tmn...there is a ton of help here to help figure it out and help ya get rid of it...and fb or myspace or twitter or whatever other social networking site you go to ain't gonna help ya at all...only here at tmn :) i think that's what he meant anyhow...

GO TMN!!! the ultimate SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE :D

Probably, and I don't have the excuse of drinking. LOL. Sounds right though.

... the private areas we have ARE private. I don't grant special access to bots like google... they view the site as an unregistered user. But even then, don't post private info if you don't want others to know it. If you give specific information to a website, assume that it's being used against you to sell you shit. ... that's the real bottom line with your privacy, in many cases they just want to serve you more relevant ads. Google's done this for years... The problem is that people voluntarily give up EVERYTHING on Facebook. So the possible advertising opportunity implications are great... if said site violates the users trust. It's a risk you take when you type EVERYTHING YOU DO into a website. ...eventually someones going to be smart enough to use that information to sell you. ...or hurt you.

One of the many reasons I don't use facebook. That, and I get an overwhelming feeling of "wasted time" when I login for more than 5 minutes over there. But if the get you for 5 minutes a month, they've got you none the less. Lol.

And why the hell does my friggen phone keep capitalizing 'facebook' - android's a little presumptuous. Shit, facebook doesn't even capitalize facebook... okay, they do... just not in their name.