Problems with servers in dallas

sean5900xt

I am having a odd problem with my internet connection. For some reason any time i have to download anything from a server located in dallas or that requires me to go through level3's backbone servers in dallas the connection speed is much slower. For example if I perform a speed test to a server in dallas i get about 3Mbps during peak hours, however if I do a speedtest at the same time to a server in New york I get about 13Mbps. I have posted a picture of a reverse tracert using the tools on BBR.com to give a example of the problem. Any ideas how i should try to get this fixed? I get the feeling that if i call tech support for my isp they will have no idea what I'am talking about.

post-886-0-31040100-1322629286_thumb.jpg

I am having a odd problem with my internet connection. For some reason any time i have to download anything from a server located in dallas or that requires me to go through level3's backbone servers in dallas the connection speed is much slower. For example if I perform a speed test to a server in dallas i get about 3Mbps during peak hours, however if I do a speedtest at the same time to a server in New york I get about 13Mbps. I have posted a picture of a reverse tracert using the tools on BBR.com to give a example of the problem. Any ideas how i should try to get this fixed? I get the feeling that if i call tech support for my isp they will have no idea what I'am talking about.

Hi there!

sounds like your ISP is either having routing issues through dallas or doesn't have very good peering with level3

my connection is also experiencing slowdowns through dallas, at the moment all i can muster is about 25-30Mbps through dallas

I agree with triran , I'm located in NW Ohio , Iv'e been experiencing the same for more then one year.

I used to get routed north , through Chicago , then into limelight networks ( groupon ) then Dallas, things were much better then and I was irritated at the low throughput , latency is and was near 30-48 ms.

Iv'e been trying to pin this down since.

Hey Sean,

How long has it been like that? I wouldn't worry about letting them know, there could have been a fiber cut or something and their having to temporarily route too much traffic through one pipe. Chances are, they know about it. I've had similar issues that took months to resolve.

Did you know that TestMy.net has a server in Washington D.C. also, there is a button on the test pages to change your default server...

Or go to http://dc.testmy.net --- visiting that page will change the server for you.

post-2-0-48021700-1322673203.png

Id say this problem has been going on for about 6 months or so. It seems to have started ever since my cable company switched there backbone provider from ATT to level3. I was wondering if there is a way to change my dns or something so that i appear to be closer to new york so that i get routed to servers in new york. I changed my steam download server preference to new york and my download speed went from 1 to 2 mbps to 13. Any way i can change something on my router or anything?

Id say this problem has been going on for about 6 months or so. It seems to have started ever since my cable company switched there backbone provider from ATT to level3. I was wondering if there is a way to change my dns or something so that i appear to be closer to new york so that i get routed to servers in new york. I changed my steam download server preference to new york and my download speed went from 1 to 2 mbps to 13. Any way i can change something on my router or anything?

nope basically you chose a different server to download from so the route changed... however you don't really have that choice with general browsing and downloading unless you use a proxy and most proxies especially free ones will hinder your download speed even more

As for the DNS servers , personally , I would never run my ISP servers.

You can use opendns servers 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

If you are running windows XP , goto control panel > Network connections > right click on the active adapter > select " properties "

Look for and double click " Internet protocol [TCP/IP] "

once new screen pops up , in the " general " tab " tick the " Use the following DNS server address "

And type in the open DNS server IP's.

Make sure to reset the connection , it may do this on it's own , but to be sure everything registers , I would log out and back. Or even restart if you feel the need. There are other ways I am sure , this is a simple quickie.

You can also set these servers within your router , so that all machines on the network will use the openDNS servers.

If you are running another windows operating system , things should be close to the same , if not , please post back and someone will assist you with that.