best laptop for the money

starship_troopers

i've been doing some research and have to say that im used to either building a gaming desktop or a low budget desktop, and right now im looking for a new laptop, so im a little out of my place on this one. looking for one that can play newer games on a decent setting, but still be an all around laptop, so it cant be a 17.3 inch screened monster to carry around lol. any good brands, or sites to look at? im kinda capped on a price but still willing to look at pretty much any suggestions.

tried ibuypower, cyberpowerpc, newegg, etc, but not sure exactly where to head since ive never really went for something kind of in the middle before lol. any laptop brands or sites would be a big help.

thanks.

by the way, my current model is a toshiba satellite a505-s6985, got it the day windows 7 released and its getting kind of aged, although it still runs nice, just needs a good format to run like new again. but still need another computer in the house lol. hard to share just one.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well as of late AMD is claiming they have the fastest graphics card with the 6990 not sure how much validity there is to that claim but i've been more then happy with my 5870 and my dad owns a 4870 aswell we both run AMD chips.. and don't have any issues

i've owned some nvidia cards in the past the last one i bought was a 260GTX and it was a very good card too i don't really have a preference i just go for the best bang for my buck

however i'm not the best to ask about the desktop website cause i always build my own i don't buy prebuilt

laptops ain't my scene , but saying that I am picking up a freebie tomorrow ,allegedly high end ? from some rich folk ,

( the only clue, it's broken ? ) sounds like an apple , ( hope it is ) it's either bin it or donate to a good cause ,( me )

Graphics cards ? , my last build was with a ATI card , now gone back to Nvidia , just so much shaper,

other folk have commented the same, but running a performance suit ,I get a 7% hit on performance using Nvidia ,

for me not a problem as I only do photo stuff ,

ive always been a nvidia fan. but im itching for the highest end card...in which i will eventually also upgrade to crossfire or sli (whichever applies). thinking about sitting down one of these evenings and posting up a good build from newegg parts.......in which case, is anyone got a good core i7 motherboard on newegg they'd like to share the link to?

sorry to double post...but ive been out of the loop for so long on computer technology.....embarrassing to say, i cant even begin to comprehend that im this far behind the times and its only been a few years since i built a computer!!! holy crap!!

in any case, which of these cpu's is better!??

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116402

Edited by RyanS

Got me bud, however I might look close at what the MB your getting to drop it in , and see that they will match up well , and I don't mean fit or function.

I'll likely be putting something together in the next year , so I have to start in with the reviews and upcoming myself. Do tell what you decide on , after others have real input for you :)

thinking of the 3930k i7...but not exactly sure if its better or if those two are far enough apart to even matter. then again, who knows what tomorrow would bring haha. a month after i built my first desktop the thing was obsolete and had to upgrade to the point id need a new motherboard too lmao. so we'll see what happens by the time i get to build this (hopefully beginning of the year)

that brings out new opportunities.....any date yet for the release? if its middle or end of the year i may just wait for an upgrade sometime in the next few years....if its the beginning of the year i would totally wait.

it was slated for late Q4 2011 now its been pushed back to early Q1-Q2 2012... i'm sure you know how those things go. theres no for sure date yet though if you know what i mean?

definitely. its just like waiting for a game that is super hyped... (such as APB) it got delayed so much...then the beta came...i got in the closed beta, uninstalled immediately lmao. but my point is i agree, as long as its not Q4 2012 i may wait. i know with the way things go i may wait to get this cpu then in a few months i'll think "man i should have waited for this new graphics card" or something anyway haha.

Whispers of March around the OC communities but we'll see. Honestly for a laptop from what I have seen the ivybridge is not going to bring anything that makes it worth waiting for unless you want to OC or benchmark. The leap in transistor technology makes it potentially the best overclocking cpu of all time but we'll have to see on that.

Whispers of March around the OC communities but we'll see. Honestly for a laptop from what I have seen the ivybridge is not going to bring anything that makes it worth waiting for unless you want to OC or benchmark. The leap in transistor technology makes it potentially the best overclocking cpu of all time but we'll have to see on that.

well it will be 22nm so that's a given. the heat from said cpu will be greatly less then its sandybridge sisters and heat is one of a OC'ers worst enemies

• 1 month later...

ok so i realize there is a 7990 coming out from amd as a gpu....any ideas if this will blow away the 6990 or is it just a minimal increase of performance with a lower power consumption or something.

and is there anything newer than a 590 from nvidia coming out to blow anything out of the water? if not i know what im going with.

unless someone has some tips, i'd be going with a 6990 as a gpu....like i said, unless someone has a good reason not to or there is something q1 this year coming to blow it away.

ok so i realize there is a 7990 coming out from amd as a gpu....any ideas if this will blow away the 6990 or is it just a minimal increase of performance with a lower power consumption or something.

and is there anything newer than a 590 from nvidia coming out to blow anything out of the water? if not i know what im going with.

unless someone has some tips, i'd be going with a 6990 as a gpu....like i said, unless someone has a good reason not to or there is something q1 this year coming to blow it away.

definately will be lower nm so less power / heat with similiar performance i'd imagine nothing mind blowing i'm sure

Heres my dilemma. Havent newegged the parts to see what it would cost yet to build it. But if i dont have enough time.....was gonna go with ibuypower or cyberpowerpc. I have a 5% off coupon code for cyberpower. Any suggestions if i go that route?

Also, id get the monitor from newegg since itd be a little cheaper i think....but anyway what are you thoughts on it? Should i just gind the time and build it? Or order it.

I am currently fixing tie rods and some stuff on my truck and work full time lol which iswhy i thought of just prebuilding.

Sorry for typos im on my phone atm.

2 grand probably. i have a few set ups (after the 5% discount code) that hit right there, and they have a 3930k, amd 6990, and mid range 8gb ddr3 ram. so not too bad, just gotta make sure that the monitor/shipping doesnt go over too bad lol.

i like custom builds better (if i do it myself) but hey im open to cyberpower. they seem good.

The best one stop shop that i can think of for "which is better" type questions would be Tom's Hardware Charts. They also do: "Whats the best computer for $1,200?" "What's the best for 2,400?" I feel like the fastest costs twice as much as the second fastest. Um, Ryan is this a gaming machine? work machine? Can you use 12 threads other then folding? 5% discount wouldn't even cover sales tax here :) Check the link and good luck.

2 grand probably. i have a few set ups (after the 5% discount code) that hit right there, and they have a 3930k, amd 6990, and mid range 8gb ddr3 ram. so not too bad, just gotta make sure that the monitor/shipping doesnt go over too bad lol.

i like custom builds better (if i do it myself) but hey im open to cyberpower. they seem good.

If your going to go fold I wouldn't use ati

this is gonna be a gaming, video encoding, multimedia, etc. lol. basically a beast for anything im doing. also, gotta be future proof for quite a while (haha like anything computer related is future proof anymore). basically this is a one time buy that is gonna need to last me for quite some time.

also, why not use ati 6990 for folding? youre saying the gtx 590 is a better choice just for folding or all around? one thing i dont like about the 590 is it uses more power and while ive always been an nvidia gpu and amd cpu person i was switching it up lol. intel cpu and amd gpu (for performance reasons).

so why is nvidia better? just curious cause i was going for nvidia, then got shifted to the 6990 after a little net browsing.

edit/ SORRY FOR THE LONG LIST!!!

heres what i had planned on IF i went with cyberpower. (i have a 10% discount at the store i work at so i can get a 22 inch or 24 inch monitor there).

Configuration

• *BASE_PRICE: [+1399]
  • BLUETOOTH: None
  • CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
  • CARE2: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
  • CAS: NZXT Black Tempest 210 Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-15]
  • CASUPGRADE: None
  • CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
  • CD2: None
  • COOLANT: Standard Coolant
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
  • CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
  • ENGRAVING: NONE
  • FA_HDD: None
  • FAN: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan [+4]
  • FLASHMEDIA: None
  • GLASSES: None
  • HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-12] (Single Hard Drive)
  • HDD2: None
  • IEEE_CARD: None
  • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
  • KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
  • MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory [-92] (Corsair or Major Brand)
  • MONITOR: None
  • MONITOR2: None
  • MONITOR3: None
  • MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Gigabyte X79-UD3 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Dolby Home Theater 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
  • MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
  • NCSW: None
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
  • POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply [+33]
  • RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
  • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers [+15]
  • TEMP: None
  • TVRC: None
  • USB: None
  • USBFLASH: None
  • USBHD: None
  • USBX: None
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+624] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
  • VIDEO2: None
  • VIDEO3: None
  • WNC: None
  • XWNC1: Edimax EW-7811Un IEEE Nano 802.11n USB Wireless Adapter [+15]
  • _PRICE: (+2009)
  • _view_: {FB250F60-45DA-4D38-9141-2B505EBFC638}
  • _load_: 1/14/2012 10:19:59 AM

Edited by RyanS

this is gonna be a gaming, video encoding, multimedia, etc. lol. basically a beast for anything im doing. also, gotta be future proof for quite a while (haha like anything computer related is future proof anymore). basically this is a one time buy that is gonna need to last me for quite some time.

also, why not use ati 6990 for folding? youre saying the gtx 590 is a better choice just for folding or all around? one thing i dont like about the 590 is it uses more power and while ive always been an nvidia gpu and amd cpu person i was switching it up lol. intel cpu and amd gpu (for performance reasons).

so why is nvidia better? just curious cause i was going for nvidia, then got shifted to the 6990 after a little net browsing.

edit/ SORRY FOR THE LONG LIST!!!

heres what i had planned on IF i went with cyberpower. (i have a 10% discount at the store i work at so i can get a 22 inch or 24 inch monitor there).

Configuration

• *BASE_PRICE: [+1399]
  • BLUETOOTH: None
  • CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
  • CARE2: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
  • CAS: NZXT Black Tempest 210 Mid-Tower Gaming Case [-15]
  • CASUPGRADE: None
  • CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
  • CD2: None
  • COOLANT: Standard Coolant
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
  • CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
  • ENGRAVING: NONE
  • FA_HDD: None
  • FAN: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan [+4]
  • FLASHMEDIA: None
  • GLASSES: None
  • HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-12] (Single Hard Drive)
  • HDD2: None
  • IEEE_CARD: None
  • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
  • KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
  • MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory [-92] (Corsair or Major Brand)
  • MONITOR: None
  • MONITOR2: None
  • MONITOR3: None
  • MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Gigabyte X79-UD3 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Dolby Home Theater 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
  • MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
  • NCSW: None
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
  • POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply [+33]
  • RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
  • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers [+15]
  • TEMP: None
  • TVRC: None
  • USB: None
  • USBFLASH: None
  • USBHD: None
  • USBX: None
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+624] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
  • VIDEO2: None
  • VIDEO3: None
  • WNC: None
  • XWNC1: Edimax EW-7811Un IEEE Nano 802.11n USB Wireless Adapter [+15]
  • _PRICE: (+2009)
  • _view_: {FB250F60-45DA-4D38-9141-2B505EBFC638}
  • _load_: 1/14/2012 10:19:59 AM

blake could touch more on the ati vs nvidia for folding thing nvidia folds better then ATI atm something to do with CUDA

not saying it wouldn't fold well just not as well as a comparable nvidia card