Cox Bandwidth limitation

TriRan

i just recently received a letter stating that Cox is implementing a 400GB combined transfer bandwidth cap

CA3LE have you gotten anything like this?

talking to some of my neighbors and friends they just got letters about this aswell... i'll probably be calling cox about this soon and asking what the penalties will be if i go over because i probably will

i'm already on top tier internet the only thing i could upgrade to is business class and i don't really think that's necessary.

if they try to enforce this on me i will probably be switching to centurylink

i just recently received a letter stating that Cox is implementing a 400GB combined transfer bandwidth cap

CA3LE have you gotten anything like this?

Great question.

Dude, don't worry about it unless you have activity on your line that you should be doing. Cox has to my knowledge ALWAYS had those limitations. But they rarely enforce them. They keep that out there to have something to go back on if someone abuses their service. I worked for Cox from 2000 to 2005. They had that in place then as they do now.

If you torrent allot... share illegal movies, music or information in large quantities Cox wants to have something to fall back on... so they can refuse future service.

If you go over the limit, your account may looked into... if you start throwing TB of transfer out there your activity will definitely be looked into. But Cox really isn't out to shut you off for bandwidth. Even if you went 100GB over... they most likely won't even contact you about it. IF you're traffic is legit. Trust me, they want your business. If working for them taught me anything it's that they appreciate your business. In my opinion they're the best telecommunications company. Pretty much since I started logging speed test results Cox has ALWAYS topped the list for speed but their customer service is just as good. (and no.. they don't pay me to say this, we parted ways years ago so I could fully focus on building this site. But I will always hold that company close to my heart, they also treat and pay their employees very well and really, seriously do care about their customers. A++ company.)

So, I wouldn't worry... just don't abuse their service. These caps by the way... are industry standard. It's just rarely talked about because they're almost always only enforced under special (abuse) circumstances.

Good Lord. Your worried about 400GB??

400GB really isn't that much if you think about it, i have a 50Mbit line and have media streaming almost 24/7 every movie i watch is anywhere from 1-5GB depending on if it's in HD or not

Great question.

Dude, don't worry about it unless you have activity on your line that you should be doing. Cox has to my knowledge ALWAYS had those limitations. But they rarely enforce them. They keep that out there to have something to go back on if someone abuses their service. I worked for Cox from 2000 to 2005. They had that in place then as they do now.

If you torrent allot... share illegal movies, music or information in large quantities Cox wants to have something to fall back on... so they can refuse future service.

If you go over the limit, your account may looked into... if you start throwing TB of transfer out there your activity will definitely be looked into. But Cox really isn't out to shut you off for bandwidth. Even if you went 100GB over... they most likely won't even contact you about it. IF you're traffic is legit. Trust me, they want your business. If working for them taught me anything it's that they appreciate your business. In my opinion they're the best telecommunications company. Pretty much since I started logging speed test results Cox has ALWAYS topped the list for speed but their customer service is just as good. (and no.. they don't pay me to say this, we parted ways years ago so I could fully focus on building this site. But I will always hold that company close to my heart, they also treat and pay their employees very well and really, seriously do care about their customers. A++ company.)

So, I wouldn't worry... just don't abuse their service. These caps by the way... are industry standard. It's just rarely talked about because they're almost always only enforced under special (abuse) circumstances.

ah okay so its just a formality then, them sending the letter out to people?

ah okay so its just a formality then, them sending the letter out to people?

Yeah... I've seen those letters in the past. I think they must send them out when the limit changes... probably went up. They also may only send them out to people that are coming close to that cap to let them know about the policy. But they aren't out to shut you off. It's not like you hit 400GB and BAM, no service. It's a review process... unless policy has changed. Sounds like the same deal that they've always had to me though.

-D

Yeah... I've seen those letters in the past. I think they must send them out when the limit changes... probably went up. They also may only send them out to people that are coming close to that cap to let them know about the policy. But they aren't out to shut you off. It's not like you hit 400GB and BAM, no service. It's a review process... unless policy has changed. Sounds like the same deal that they've always had to me though.

-D

thanks for the info, i just wanted to see if you knew anything about it... kinda freaked me out a little because i really like cox and have enjoyed using their services so far