Yahoo! BB Brings 1GB fiber to the Desktop in Tokyo Japan

d_mc_dowall

Recently there have been ads running on bb.yahoo.co.jp for a mere 79.99/m clients in japan will be provided fiber termination at the house with the first two months free @ 100Mbps. Once the backbone installation is complete they will provide 1GB connection to the infrastructure. That is amazing.

i have read some more about it

i think the 1G is going to be shared on a max of 30 people, so about 30MB per sec in worse of worse

maybe at 6am in the morning when every one is sleeping they take over the backgone and burst of 1G/s LOL

anyway why dont we see test from japanese people

any japanese people out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cable u monitor ur website or anyone does anyone know an ip or some where we can check out speed test from japan

dslreports has some but nothing great

anyone?

• 4 months later...

i have read some more about it

i think the 1G is going to be shared on a max of 30 people, so about 30MB per sec in worse of worse

maybe at 6am in the morning when every one is sleeping they take over the backgone and burst of 1G/s LOL

anyway why dont we see test from japanese people

it's actually becoming common here - at least three companies now offer  a 100mbps connection, hooking into a 1gbps local backbone, hooked into a 60gbps national backbone.  it's still pretty expensive, but the prices are dropping constantly. the main problem is actually getting it, given that it's very common for landowners to have an "arrangement" with a local provider - they limit competition by only allowing one company to hook up the apartment complex, and get nice kickbacks..

interestingly, i can pull 20mbps on my connection on a japanese server, but testmy.net's servers generaly show me at around 4*5 mbps, so there's no point in posting my results...

it's actually becoming common here - at least three companies now offer  a 100Mbps connection, hooking into a 1Gbps local backbone, hooked into a 60Gbps national backbone.  it's still pretty expensive, but the prices are dropping constantly. the main problem is actually getting it, given that it's very common for landowners to have an "arrangement" with a local provider - they limit competition by only allowing one company to hook up the apartment complex, and get nice kickbacks..

interestingly, i can pull 20Mbps on my connection on a japanese server, but testmy.net's servers generaly show me at around 4*5 Mbps, so there's no point in posting my results...

this sounds like a monopoly dont u think guys?

like an ISP does a contract before hand with a building so in the building all you can have is this

not good

but well 100Mbps is good :)

• 3 weeks later...