Bill Gates Rich

crewchief

Here is an interesting question to get some converstion started.  If you were as rich as Bill Gates (now I am not saying I like the man just if you were as rich) and you were setting up your ultimate dream house as an electronics haven, would you go ahead and spend the money for an OC-? level pipe in or would you say that is a waste and stick with a T-1 or T-3?

id just make my own internet provider :haha:

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I just about imagine if you were as righ as Bill Gates. You get petty crap like that for free. I mean what company would say no if Billy said hey i want that new 500gig down internet... NOBODY. Bill would CYBER@$#% YOU UP. If I was as rich as bill gates I would walk around nekked and just start humpin people. If they got mad, Id give em money, if they were still mad, id give em more.... still mad? Well I guess Id stop (I hate rapists dirty motha..) but id get my money back.

Hmmm.. I dunno. I'd have to be really rich to get anything more than a DS-3 (@ $5000-$10000 a month)....

I mean... an OC-48 (2.5 Gbps) is roughly $100,000 - $120,000 a month (Which, given the opportunity I could find much more creative ways to spend).... and most servers you would download from wouldn't be able to sustain those speeds to you.... I have trouble at work finding servers that will send me files to my office as fast as I can get them and there I'm "only" at ~30 Mbps.... there becomes a point of diminishing returns for the money I'd think.

that those speed your computer would become the bottle neck!!! haha which would be really funny..

Yep. Even now on this connection, the computer I use mostly at work (OLD... P3 800) tops out at about 10 Mbps less than the machine I have here with a P4 in it.... so yes, the computer could easily become the bottleneck....

Hmmm.. I dunno. I'd have to be really rich to get anything more than a DS-3 (@ $5000-$10000 a month)....

I mean... an OC-48 (2.5 Gbps) is roughly $100,000 - $120,000 a month (Which, given the opportunity I could find much more creative ways to spend).... and most servers you would download from wouldn't be able to sustain those speeds to you.... I have trouble at work finding servers that will send me files to my office as fast as I can get them and there I'm "only" at ~30 Mbps.... there becomes a point of diminishing returns for the money I'd think.

:haha: Bill Gates is richer than the US Government. I dont think he has to worry. He probably makes 100000 a month just off the interest from his savings account.

:haha: Bill Gates is richer than the US Government. I dont think he has to worry. He probably makes 100000 a month just off the interest from his savings account.

Point well made... But if I was going to spend mad cash like that I guess I'd just buy the NTG Datacenter next door to my office... that way I could recover the cost of that connection through business....

Their subscription is probably in the neighborhood of $500,000 a month or more.....

...From the www.ntg.com website....

Connectivity

The NTG data network has diverse fiber feeds allowing for bandwidth capacity on demand. Current bandwidth subscription includes multiple DS-3 connections to Internet backbones for connectivity, and multiple OC-3 and OC-48 connections to ILEC and CLEC networks.

I know for a fact there's 4 DS-3's... dunno how many OC-3 and OC-48 connections they have....

F00kin SWEET!!

Actually they say Bill Gates is so rich that it would cost him more time wise then to stop in the street and pick up a $100 bill. :shock:  I did some math on it awhile ago and I figured that he makes on a normal interest bearing savings account around $20,000 an hour!!!!!!!!!!!

but taht fast of a connection...would it really be worth it?

i mean...no server really uploads anything that fast, so your still not gonna be able to download super fast, or will u?

i agree with you there.  Even if servers could keep up with you, with a connection at 2.5gbs would download virtually any file instantly.  You could transfer 10GB of files in about 30 seconds at that speed.  Thats just crazy!!  :shock: