Solar Keyboard from Logitech

CA3LE

Solar Keyboard  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is a solar powered keyboard really worth it?

• Yes, save batteries... save the Earth!
    • Yes, changing batteries is a pain in the butt!
    • No, I hardly ever even change the batteries on my keyboard and use rechargeables anyway...
    • No, I'm a grumpy old man and I don't think that anything is worth it.. EVER!
    • What's solar? Where am I right now?

I was pulling a link off Logitech's website and noticed a solar keyboard.

http://www.logitech....4?WT.ac=ps|8604

post-2-0-66518200-1327003345.png post-2-0-71592000-1327003344.png

Which is fine and dandy... but now they need to make one for programmers that run on caffeine and insomnia since our keyboards don't really see the light of day. :razz:

... seriously though, I kinda think it's dumb. How often do you change your batteries on your keyboard anyway? My fingers are constantly tapping away and I've only used about 3-4 sets of batteries in the last 12 months... seems like more of a gimmick than a truly useful feature. What do you guys think?

... Logitech doesn't even provide side profile pictures so I'm not even sure if there is a added benefit of being thin or something.

Sounds like we agree then. STUPID! If I was going to go spend $60 on a Mac keyboard... sorry Logitech, I'm still getting the Apple Keyboard.

post-2-0-83673500-1327041256_thumb.png post-2-0-73637200-1327041255_thumb.png

Do you think Steve Jobs ever thought,

"Hummm, for this new keyboard... should I spend the extra money on a solar panel that makes no sense or build it out of a solid piece of precision Aluminum..." :laughing7:

Dude grab the Matias tactile pro3, I used the apple thin for a while, turns out no resistance from those thin no run keys was torturing my hands.

Since I touch type the tactile keys were amazing for me, reminded me of using the original Apple Macantosh. Iv'e not looked back in the roughly 18 months since Iv'e had a tactile keyboard of quality.

Oh , you like to move away from the machine and type ? This cord on this puppy is at least three foot. Sorry , 56.7 inches ! And it is not one of those thin spaghetti cords , it's a solid shielded cable. Five year warranty which Iv'e not come close to thinking about using.

post-9745-0-80392000-1327073381_thumb.jp

http://matias.ca/tactilepro3/index.php

As for the solar , whatever , there's always something new, take it if you think it will help you.

Dude grab the Matias tactile pro3, I used the apple thin for a while, turns out no resistance from those thin no run keys was torturing my hands.

As for the solar , whatever , there's always something new, take it if you think it will help you.

This is why I still use my Logitech MX5500. I like the feel of a regular keyboard. But as I get more used to the thin keyboard on the iMac I don't find myself on on my mini using the MX5500. Although, I do have a very unorthodox typing method... I think it came about first because I didn't like typing the way teachers wanted me to. Second, I think it was my natural way of protecting myself from carpal tunnel... both of my hands use both sides of the keyboard, sometimes, hard to explain. I also look at the keys allot. It's a weird style but I can type 60-90wpm that way and well over 100wpm in programming... home row style I can only achieve 35-45wpm.

I think that the new thin apple keyboard has made me faster actually. Not at first but after I got used to it. The keys are more sensitive but also precise at the same time... you'd think it would be easy to hit the wrong key but it isn't. Sometimes I feel my finger brush the wrong key but check and it seems to never register. You have to hit the key just right with purpose and they do with without interfering with regular typing. I also seem to flow without having to lift my fingers as much. I always thought the new apple keyboards were beautiful in design but I'm starting slowly I'm starting to favor overall.

... ideally my next input device would just connect to my mind. Screw typing!

This is why I still use my Logitech MX5500. I like the feel of a regular keyboard. But as I get more used to the thin keyboard on the iMac I don't find myself on on my mini using the MX5500. Although, I do have a very unorthodox typing method... I think it came about first because I didn't like typing the way teachers wanted me to. Second, I think it was my natural way of protecting myself from carpal tunnel... both of my hands use both sides of the keyboard, sometimes, hard to explain. I also look at the keys allot. It's a weird style but I can type 60-90wpm that way and well over 100wpm in programming... home row style I can only achieve 35-45wpm.

I think that the new thin apple keyboard has made me faster actually. Not at first but after I got used to it. The keys are more sensitive but also precise at the same time... you'd think it would be easy to hit the wrong key but it isn't. Sometimes I feel my finger brush the wrong key but check and it seems to never register. You have to hit the key just right with purpose and they do with without interfering with regular typing. I also seem to flow without having to lift my fingers as much. I always thought the new apple keyboards were beautiful in design but I'm starting slowly I'm starting to favor overall.

... ideally my next input device would just connect to my mind. Screw typing!

Amen!

well i think if you're using a computer outside...it probably is gonna be a laptop...so put a solar panal in a laptop...that might be nice for some...

i think they wasted their time developing this...

"huny i gotta set my keyboard outside for a bit...it needs charged"...couple hours later..."better go get your keyboard...it's raining"

Actually most solar technology made since around 1990 will absorb light from incandescent bulbs.

I have a hard time now using those gushy membrane keyboards, no resistance and quiet, YUK ! I have tons of the stinking things and have to use one on the other side of the office for a local connection sometimes to the rest of the machines.

If anyone has an old IBM tactile laying around , I'm all ears. Cherries welcome. Anything ALPS and I'm on it , just speak up.

• 2 weeks later...

Um, this assumes that the area around your computer is lit. Will it even work in a room where the brightest thing is the computer monitor? Does it require direct light or is ambient light enough? Those solar powered calculators worked in any room with a window. Seriously what did it cost in time, money, and resources to make the solar cells and is it "better" then the 2-8 batteries per year you guys are guesstimating? I would rather have a wireless non-battery powered mouse then a wireless non-battery powered keyboard, but it sounds a little more challenging. :cheesy:

tdawnaz, nice point! Using solar to power a laptop at your local park sounds great. If it works under a shady tree I'm for it. Solar panels around 16 square feet produce 150-250 watts. If a single square foot could produce 12 watts, a solar and battery laptop (in full sun lol) could at least provide some of the required power lengthening the battery life at the expense of a sunburn.

My conclusion: It sounds part gimmick, part science experiment. Changing batteries isn't much of an issue, disposing of the chemicals inside the batteries is. If your that electricity conscious spend a couple thousand dollars on bunch of solar panels, install them on your sun facing roof then let the next 30 years of no electricity bill offset that large initial investment.

The Prior comments are from a resident of San Diego, home to 146 sunny days per year and a summer drought every summer. Sun Map

Has anyone given the thought of using Dragon instead of a keyboard. I use it all the time. I can also give commands so I don't use the mouse as much.I thought of voice activation as a unusually odd way of doing things. The more I get used to it the more it becomes easy. Since I use Vista it comes free with Ultimate package. What's better than free of extra cost. So I have the choice or the one that came with the program or Dragon.

Has anyone given the thought of using Dragon instead of a keyboard. I use it all the time. I can also give commands so I don't use the mouse as much.I thought of voice activation as a unusually odd way of doing things. The more I get used to it the more it becomes easy. Since I use Vista it comes free with Ultimate package. What's better than free of extra cost. So I have the choice or the one that came with the program or Dragon.

I thought about it yes , then after more thought , I thought , nah , I'll lose my typing skills. What skills I have anyhow. But I'm no one to say whats good for someone else.