openssl-0.9.8e-20.el5_7.1.i686 conflicts with file from package openssl-0.9.8e-20.el5_7.1.x86_64

mudmanc4

openssl-0.9.8e-20.el5_7.1.i686 conflicts with file from package openssl-0.9.8e-20.el5_7.1.x86_64

This is causing me a load of time.

This might sound like a crazy question , who knows if an x86_64 machine running VPS needs any i686 packages ?

If not I'll make sure by editing the repo that I get none of them , and solve this silly issue. I wish they would stop whoever is doing this, this is the second time Iv'e has i686 packages on this machine that have caused me trouble.

I assumed so, but then why would someone continue to label packages for the wrong arch in the repo !!!!! It's ridiculous , because by the time they trickle down to the rest of the servers , things are a mess.

I'll comment them out in the local centos repo so i don't keep getting them.

EDIT , meant yum.conf and adding " exactarch=1 "

I assumed so, but then why would someone continue to label packages for the wrong arch in the repo !!!!! It's ridiculous , because by the time they trickle down to the rest of the servers , things are a mess.

I'll comment them out in the local centos repo so i don't keep getting them.

EDIT , meant yum.conf and adding " exactarch=1 "

Well i386/i486/i586/i686 are all for the 32-Bit architecture. The x86_64 will not work on a 32-Bit version of CentOS, therefore they have to provide the 32-Bit versions as well. Which, your installation was configured to grab the first version it found, which was the i686. (Probably because of the Alphabet.)

Thanks,

EBrown

Understand , and actually I looked it up and someone is borking a few arch definitions up somewhere so no matter if you specify an architecture or not , your still going to get , or were going to get a different package then you wanted. , people whining about it all over. On top of that , there is /was an issue with an update of openssl.

This issue is ongoing.

Anything i try to install that required openssl , yum tries to install the dependency openssl i686 0.9.8e-20.el5_7.1

Iv'e excluded anything other than the system arch by adding exactarch in yum.conf , which should over ride anything in any repo that might be calling for x86 arch packages.

Currently , the x86 or i686 or anything of the likes , other than x86_64 openssl packages are installed. Yes Iv'e cleared the yum cache.

my next move is to set priorities within the repos. Which i should have done before since I'm using atomic rocket turtle.