Satellite Service Testing

RfrankNRTC

Satellite Internet Service customers must consider that their service goes over a satellite hop and due to the inherent delay in this type of service you should always run your speed test with a file size of 1 Meg or better. The larger the file size the better the algorithm can negate the delay and give a true speed result. Also be aware that dual test and automatic/smart test will start with a smaller file size and go toward a larger file and then average them out. This can skew the results because the smaller file sizes, which are probably not as accurate, will be averaged in with larger file sizes and test that are more accurate. Testmy.net is the best place to test because you have the ability to select the file sizes. Try it and see. Oh and if your satellite service offering is a really high speed service, 2 to 12 meg or better down and up, Use file sizes like 10 Meg down and 2 Meg up. Your results should prove what im saying. And don't trust most flash type test engines. They are not accurate!

Welcome to the site RfrankNRTC, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

With the automatic test you can also set minimum and maximum sizes now. So now you have even more control over that stuff.

Keep visiting and please pass the word along. ;)

Try it and see. Oh and if your satellite service offering is a really high speed service, 2 to 12 meg or better down and up, Use file sizes like 10 Meg down and 2 Meg up. Your results should prove what im saying. And don't trust most flash type test engines. They are not accurate!

• 1 month later...

Can the 'Testmy" Automatic Combined upload and download test have a selectable file size like 2.5mb so that it produces more accurate results for satellite connections? I tried a 2.5mb upload test just now and the result was much closer to what I am supposed to be getting with my service. The 128kb file size produces way low results for upload testing.

Can the 'Testmy" Automatic Combined upload and download test have a selectable file size like 2.5mb so that it produces more accurate results for satellite connections? I tried a 2.5mb upload test just now and the result was much closer to what I am supposed to be getting with my service. The 128kb file size produces way low results for upload testing.

Yes, I just turned that feature off however. I have to rethink the programming on that. Those size options will return soon... but next time it will be better. I think instead of it being an option of the test... you'll have a site-wide testing options that you can set and forget. That way in the future you'll just hit any of the testing pages and your custom options that you choose will already be set. ... then you'll just have to click 'start' instead of setting the options every time. I have allot of features that I'll be reworking in this way but the auto speed test sizing HAD to be turned off until I rework it. It had some pretty annoying bugs that I need to think about a little bit.

Thanks for the suggestion, stick around... it will return.

-D

I took a few minutes to fix that... minimums can now be set again. :wink: --- still look for these features to become more powerful in the future... and maximums to return.

post-2-0-80395900-1332733248_thumb.png

Upload speed is now much closer to what the ISP is supposed to be providing. I have set the minimum upload file size to 1.5mb. That seems to work OK. It produces results over 400kbps up vs 200 before. 600ms+ latency was causing misleading results with small test file sizes.