SBC Yahoo IP address keeps changing???

cessnaflyer123

I am trying to run my web page off my home computer using my MAC OSX computer and SBC Yahoo DSL.  Everytime that I start up my computer I get a new IP address from Yahoo. Then I have to tell my domain provider that I have a new ip address for it to connect to the domain name. I know probably need the static ip service but it cost so much more just for that and I don't have the extra cash for it. 

Before this I had ATT cable modem and the ip address always stayed the same for weeks at a time. Whenever it changed I would just update the changes and it would keeping working fine for a long time.  SBC on the other hand seems to change on me all the time.  Is this just an SBC thing?

IS there ANYTHING I can do to make my DSL modem or Dlink router hold onto the ip address for a longer period of time? What if I never shut down my computer will that help?

I really appreciated any comments or help. Thanks!

I dont know if you could get your computer to keep a IP address, but you could try a service such as http://www.no-ip.com/.  Also, leaving your computer on probably wouldnt help, but that depends more on the ip lease time that SBC gives you.  I.E.,  ATT had a fairly long lease time of a couple weeks.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem as you or did. So let me help you all. SBC dsl witch I have does give you a new IP not everytime you get log off or that. But everytime you disconnect and recconect to there service or network. Meaning if you never disconnect you maybe able to keep the same ip for a long time I have done this. But I think they change your ip sometimes not sure when But I think I have kept one for a long time. But anyway no php I wouldn't use noip since like he said he want's this for a domain not a subdomain witch is what no ip is. What I would do is go to http://zoneedit.com and sign up for there service you set the domain to there nameservers then you just get a program like noip uses and it updates your ip address for you. And keeps the domain pointed to the right ip. I have done this a few times. So I know it works. But zoneedit server kind of suck because it seems like there dns go down alot. But that is what I do.

Hey php who are you to say this thread is over? I don't care if you are mod. I should be one been around alot longer than you. I don't want to start a boxing match though lol. But if this user still needs help what is wrong with helping him? I haven't seen him reply yet so how do we all know that he got it working. If he has why don't you tell use that? Instead of trying to say it is closed when the thread is still open. I am not sure if he got this solved yet so I am other users are just trying to help him out. So if he got it worked out let us know and we will stop trying to help. I am still waiting for him to reply thanks

weelll... by putting on my thinking cap, I just happened to notice that he signed on June 19, 2005.  Typically, no response means the problem is fixed and the person is either too lazy or I dunno, maybe scared? to leave a response that the problem is fixed.  Did you ever notice how many people post their problems, and how few noobs post right away how much this site has helped them?  They all only ask for help, then maybe say thanks.  I think I saw one, maybe 2 people join the forum to post how much this site helped them in the past month, while on the other hand, there was probably hundreds that joined just to ask for help and leave.

P.S.  I don't care if you were the 100th, 1000th, or 10,000th person to join the site... I have spent more time online here than ANYONE else... except maybe CA3LE, but he isn't always logged on when he is working on the site.

P.S. P.S.  I never said the thread was closed, I said it was dead...

Sorry I didn't get back sooner guys. I tried the various advice offered here but none of it remedied the problem that I was having. I tried the http://zoneedit.com/ for DNS service but could not get it to work. I know a fair amount about computers but I got a little lost in all the internet protocols and what not.

I just don't think it is possible with SBC unless you want to sign up for buisness DSL which is overkill and too expensive for me. Instead I plane to wait another month until my contract is up and switch to Comcast Cable which doesn't change their IP addresses unless you restart you computer. I had their service before in Santa Clara, CA (Silicon Valley) and the IP address stayed the same for months without buying the buisness static IP service. I also have been using Apple's .Mac service meanwhile to host my webpages which is very user friendly to use and always up and running. Thanks for the help and advice offered here.