Learning something new, Host Files..........

ninjageek

I been wanting to play with and learn how to use host files to block ads and spyware stuff on the net. I know of two diffrent methods. Use HostsMan. I have to use version 3.7. The new 4 beta not working right in windows 7 64 bit. Found the old version at majorgeeks.

I also found this site http://winhelp2002.mvps.org What is confusing, is the host files that "hostman" program uses the same as the site i provided the link for??

Also not sure about changing DNS caching settings. I really don't notice a diffrence enabled or disabled.

Of course I backed up my Orginal Host File. I know the location, How to revert it all back incase this is a BAD idea. Any help or tips or ticks would be appreciated. Thanks all

Edited by CA3LE

Only issue I have with blocking ads , is so many people that we rely on getting information from , rely on ads to fund there sites. Many of which are increasingly finding it more difficult to continue , even though they might have a large user base.

Other then this , yes by all means pay attention to the host file. I'm not really sure why discussions about the host file are so few , the file is one of the most important in the system , and can be manipulated by many different programs , good and bad to achieve different results.

Only issue I have with blocking ads , is so many people that we rely on getting information from , rely on ads to fund there sites. Many of which are increasingly finding it more difficult to continue , even though they might have a large user base.

Other then this , yes by all means pay attention to the host file. I'm not really sure why discussions about the host file are so few , the file is one of the most important in the system , and can be manipulated by many different programs , good and bad to achieve different results.

your average user doesn't even know it exists let alone how to use it :P

your average user doesn't even know it exists let alone how to use it :P

I agree totally, raises a brow as to why, considering how high the probability of manipulation this file has. If I had to place a number on how many of the machines I get in where either the host file and or the browser proxy settings have been used to get the machine connected to a botnet , I might have to say nearly 50% of them.

Was shocked how simple it is to use. I be digging it.

It is simple once you take a few to learn how to use it. Maybe a good thing would be to start a new thread discussing it.

Oh I have had SO much fun of late. I used to use admuncher. When I saw the price jump I about fell down. 80 bucks for a lifetime license and you can only use it on one computer. Many tried to use it on there other computer at home, got caught. So not only is it tracking your usage, Gotta wonder if its tracking for other reasons.

I uninstalled admuncher, went with my free setup. Works just as well. Told them so when it asked why I un installed it. So he writes back talking how great it is. So I let him have it. Told him 80 bucks was a joke, if you have two computers which most d0, They want 160 dollars for something you can do for free. Are you kidding me. Good luck with that buttercup. I really let loose on em.

Even blasted them in there forum. What a rip off.

Once everyone blocks most or all of ads , you'll start seeing sites that refuse to offer there free services for those that block them , simply because as stated , is there only way to stay online.

To each there own of course , but I never found a real good reason to block advertisements. I mean if the site stays within recommended ad amounts , no popups and redirects , then who cares. The more affiliate ads that get blocked , the crazier the ads will get.

The latest reports are not looking great for overall performance by google , and you can rest assured , if there showing such a slow down , almost all others are as well.

As far as the host file goes , I'll grab blutac list or something, one of the many compilations of tripe , and do it at the firewall vis cidr.

There are many other ways as well, thats just a simple one to keep the crap that has nothing to do with what your looking for from taking over the page. That scares people away instantly anyhow , yet people continue to put that crap on there page trying to make a couple cents.

Na mud. Ad Blockers have been around for so long, IMHO, Don't think they are having the effect most believe. If they did, websites would shut down left and right. I understand what your saying. I just dont think they are having that kind of effect on advertisers. To be honest, I simply dont know how that works. Maybe the boss will chime in and explain it better. Or someone else that runs a website. Interesting question.

I run three ecommerce site for others , one with 10K uniques daily and the other two are much smaller. All three of them are down significantly in nearly all the ads we can toss at them. The several I play with of my own can't really be counted as there small and more or less for local customers. I try and block certain companies ads and allow more relevant ads that the user might be more interested in , or likely to buy from there browsing history , and keywords.

In the last several years clicks have dropped dramatically, this to me would mean several things could be wrong , until you look at the pageviews , and compare them to clicks. The pageviews are fine , increased on one , but clicks slowed down on all. This shows people are running ad blockers and script blockers. As many different ads run small affiliate scripts for tracking and other reasons.

It's a known issue that people are not clicking as much , and simply going to the site they want to buy from. People are more experienced in a sense.

Some ads pay per view , other pay per click , some pay when someone buys something after a click. Some pace cookies , so that if the " clicker " buys the product in a set amount of time , the account still gets credit. There are many ways to get contracts.

Here's a quick read to explain a little about the slow down.

http://dataplusinsig...ysis-of-clicks/

All I can say is oops I was wrong. As for the ads that people get paid for just viewing, I know opera simply blocks the image, It still downloads it, Think most other browsers do the same, Not sure.

AdBlockers have been around for so long, Firefox was the first, Chrome just got one not long ago, So did opera. Would LOVE to find someone who not only uses opera, But is smarter than me, any 6th grader would do lol. Been trying to figure out how to change the adblock list. The way the opera fourms are telling me to do it is not right. I THINK there is a .css style sheet someplace that needs to be changed. Would love to figure it out.

There has to be other ways websites are making money. I remember the guy from metal sludge talking about google and him making good money that way.

Gosh remember when everyone had to have a pop up blocker, lol.

I have kind of moved away from hosts files, I just don't think they are helping as much as they should.

So right now, I am trying to lean adblocking. With opera, you can not as of yet subscribe to other lists. I tried the opera forum, Tried the adblock fourm, No luck. Maybe someday lightning will strike twice. TryRyan walked me through overclocking, Maybe someone will teach me ad blocking.

I'm no guru on making money , if I were I'de be in Aruba full time lol

So as far as being wrong , Iv'e been wrong more times then most people have searched for the truth. There are more things that any one person can learn or become fluent at in a lifetime. And with the way things move , you really have to specialize in a certain field before being able to boast about your knowledge. Of course thats my opinion .

And I don't mean to sound as if blocking ads will kill the net , but it is a large portion of the way people fund there projects.

What is it that is driving you to dislike ads ? Is it the fact they are there, or that you feel there causing you a security issue , I can only speculate whats got under your skin about it. I am curious though , it may help me in heading towards what might be a more presentable way to advertise.

I'm not bashing your drive to learn adblocking , I think it's great. In fact who knows what other field this might lead you to take interest in.

As far as the CSS I can't help , unless your running OS X or linux.

I guess Mud the reason I want to learn more about it is the same reason I wanted to learn about Overclocking. Just a subject that always kinda fascinated me. How its done I guess is the question I wonder the most is how do they go about figuring out where the ad is coming from. Host files are starting to get my intrest as well.

I guess Mud the reason I want to learn more about it is the same reason I wanted to learn about Overclocking. Just a subject that always kinda fascinated me. How its done I guess is the question I wonder the most is how do they go about figuring out where the ad is coming from. Host files are starting to get my intrest as well.

By all means I'm on the same page, I'm in those files quite often myself , either on a server or locally.

Please don't take my ramblings the wrong way, I'm just on a trip of censorship these days. But by all means , you have every right to do as you please with what comes into and go out from your machine or any other machine you own. I just get carried away sometimes , so again , please don't let my passion on subjects make you feel as if I'm bashing you or anyone else for doing what they want to , it's not meant that way.

I think more people should take the host files very serious , it's an awesome way to control many connections. And again , i really don't understand why this is not closer to the top of the GUI controls on windows machines. It's one of those sections that is vital to security.

Anything you pick up I wish you will be inclined to share, so that others can use the information.

You can protect the people using the machine by inserting different IP's in the host file , so certain places can or cannot be accessed. Right at the source , no program needed :)

Right Now, I am looking to spybot vs host files. I am simply not sure which to use. Spybot adds to your host files to help protect you. THINK spyware blaster does the same. Now the big question, which offers better protection. The host file program "hostsman" or is Spybot and Spyware Blaster a better choice?

The bad thing about playing with host files, you gotta be careful in your choices, to much and your gonna slow down your machine. While Opera had FINALLY gotten a adblocker, its such a closed program its kinda hard to edit the adblocking files. Looking at two programs for opera, Opera Adblock, Also looking at Content Blocker Helper. I just posted a few questions for the guy that made the extension. I am simply looking for 2 things in opera. I want to subscribe to a decent list. I want to be able to add or edit that file as needed. It LOOKS like the Content Blocker Helper may be what I am looking for.

Opera is so frustrating at times, They could of taken chromes place in the browser war as it were. Been a viable option to Firefox. Once again they dropped the ball. Opera is for people that want to play with software. Chrome is for people that just want the darn thing to work.

No I agree , too many entries in the host file , and it slows down the connection , just as too many rules would in a firewall.

Iv'e installed spybots host files, and had good luck , but you have to go a step further by keeping up to date , with a block list such as blutack or the likes.

What have you seen as far as performance between spybot , and any other program that effects the host file ?